Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
My Hymer has its radio aerial somewhere on the windscreen I have been told, but nothing I can see. The radio reception is pretty bad most of the time.
I want to replace the aerial but as its an 'A' class with a fiberglass body I am not sure I can just bolt on a normal car aerial as I believe it needs to be 'grounded', whatever that means.

Any solutions would be appreciated as we like to listen to the radio as we travel about.

Thanks
Pete

May 29, 2013
Tyneside
Funster No
MH
Chausson best of Flash 10
Exp
Several years now
Do you have an awning fitted ? If so you could get a piece of mild steel plate, say 2" sq. paint it really well and affix it onto the top of the awning box with self-tappers or really good glue. Get a magnetic base DAB aerial (I'm assuming you want DAB) and put it onto the metal plate. Lead your wire into the MH and down to the radio and just plug in. This idea worked for us. In fact if you search for DAB aerials under our username you should see the photos. As the aerial is high up you get very good reception.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
R

reynardracer

Free Member
Aug 10, 2015
Twyford
Funster No
MH
A class Hymer
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks Geordies but I only have a normal FM radio. Will the DAB aerial work for an FM radio?

Jan 22, 2013
London SE
Funster No
MH
A class Adria vision I707
Exp
since 1971
nope! you can get a dual FM/AM/ DAB Aerial, as they are changing over to DAB from FM in the next five years it's probably worth fitting a DAB/ FM type now,
buy a quality type like Kinetic and not a cheap micky mouse one from fleabay or Halfrauds,
Dabonwheels is a good company that will give you impartial advice on the best type to fit to suite your head unit,

Oct 7, 2015
newark
Funster No
MH
Swift escape 624
Exp
Have you tried an aerial booster/amplifier I got one from amazon about £7 works wonders

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
An old wire coat hanger stuck in the hole !
Remember those days, we all did it when some git broke it off the wing.
Phil
Phil you really must be knocking on a bit as I don't know what the hell your on about..... honest :whistle:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back