Replacing grill with microwave

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Spidey, Jan 11, 2015.

1. Spidey

Spidey Funster

We are considering replacing out grill with a microwave. I had a quote of £360 to remove, add a socket and install a microwave. Does this seem reasonable? It seems a lot to me when we would only use it now and again. Also does the microwave have to be a special built in type? We are not using the grill so wondered if the space would be better.

Tried finding a mobile fitter but none available or close enough. Will it invalidate my warrenty if done elswhere? Swindon caravans are near wondered if they could do it?

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

That price sounds like they are fitting a 12v model.. very expensive.. Much cheaper to fit a 230v model and only run from mains.. EHU

If it is 12v then bear in mind it will draw about 60amps.. this would kill an 80ah leisure battery in no time at all..

• Like Like x 1
  3. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

We have one fitted, very seldom use it. Even thinking about removing it.

4. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Not got one, didn't have one when tugging. How much do you miss it now really?

5. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

Took ours out and fitted it in the garage use it 5 or 6 times a year max, if payload was a problem we'd bin it. We like to cook fresh food so use our oven all the time.

6. Spidey

Spidey Funster

Yes you maybe right never thought of that.

7. Spidey

Spidey Funster

If it had been £100 max then i would have said why not better than the grill. But we used very seldom and never had one camping etc. We much prefer to cook outside. Don't have an oven but have a tefel bake which is like the remoska. That works out well. May just leave it, but annoyed that the grill is taking up space for no good reason. Wish it was a comby grill and oven.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

if you replace the front grill with a microwave does that mean you cook all those damn flies?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  9. dave newell lvs

dave newell lvs Trader-Vehicle Services

Labour is the biggest part probably, new microwave could be anywhere from £30 to over £100 depending on model and type. Remove grill and cap off gas supply, bring 230V supply into area and fit socket, mount microwave securely and ensure it has adequate ventilation could be anywhere from 2 hours to a full days work, £45 per hour or more doesn't take long to gobble up £360. The price does not reflect the use you will make of the equipment but the time and materials used in doing the job.

D.

• Like Like x 3
  10. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

why bother replacing the grill, just add a microwave on the worktop and plug into an existing socket or inverter. Could be done fore around £50

• Like Like x 1
  11. Geordies

Geordies Funster

You could take the grill out yourself, ensure the gas is switched off to the grill of course. Then get someone suitably qualified to cap off the gas supply, preferably at the manifold. We did this but left the now disconnected gas pipe in-situ in case of putting grill back in the future.

Then you could just stow the microwave in the space where the grill was, (making sure it can't slide out of course), then when you want to use the microwave, lift it out, put it on a worktop or table and plug into a 240v socket. That way you save the cost of a new 240v plug installation, which would be the expensive bit.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Yorick

Yorick Funster

At first glance I thought the title said "replacing girl with microwave".

That also could be an option sometimes:)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. Yorick

Yorick Funster

At first glance I thought the title said "replacing girl with microwave".

That also could be an option sometimes:)

14. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I have both a grill and a microwave in my PVC and admit the micro gets used whenever we are on hook up. The grill has never been used and stores chopping boards etc. Personal choice I admit but I much prefer the micro to the low set grill.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Gooney

Gooney Funster

If you removed the grill would you not miss all the associated rattles whilst in motion?:LOL:

• Like Like x 2
  16. Adam b

Adam b Read Only Funster

we removed our grill as it was never used , just use the space for storing pillows or whatever.

17. Wombles

Wombles Funster

We use our Chausson grill as a bread cupboard :) Ideal to keep large light food items in & they are easily removed if ever want to use the grill - unlikely though as too slow:( When on hook up we have a £30 portable induction hob (Aldi/Lidl) plus the Tefal Roast 'N' Bake both of which are excellent & good enough to use at home too. When only 12v we use the gas hob which with a good choice of pans can cook most things including toast with a camping toast gizmo. Currently we do multiple shortish breaks as limited to school holidays & normally have our teenage son along with us so homemade chilli, spag bol, curry etc bagged & frozen in advance are easy to reheat on the hob plus some cooked chicken bits, cold meats & prepared salad in the fridge makes life easy & "fast" food. Have considered the microwave option or changing to a combi oven grill as had both when we had caravans but don't think that the useage would justify the outlay & now easy to work around once used to it.

• Like Like x 1
  18. funflair

funflair Funster Life Member

Removed the TV from above the fridge freezer and replaced with microwave (more entertaining most of the time) and use it a lot on inverter or hook up. No oven or grill as its German spec.

TV is at the front now.

19. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

We took out out grill (and capped off the gas of course) as it was a waste of space. There is a combi microwave grill in there now which works much better. But remember we are on EHU 99% of the time :)

It's not a special microwave just a cheap one from Lidl which was exactly the correct size for the space left where the grill was.

I've also seen the same model of van that we have with a Morphy Richards built in microwave fitted into the grill space which looked very nice. Ours isn't that fancy.

• Like Like x 2
  20. JockandRita

JockandRita Funster Life Member

That's exactly what the previous owners did in our MH Martin, but as we don't use a microwave oven (rarely on EHU), the TV and sliding shelf went back in. I've left the cable and scart links to the front though, in case we revert back to their set up. :)

Cheers,

Jock.

• Like Like x 1