replacing aluminium trim

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by golly, Aug 24, 2012.

1. golly

golly Funster

A few weeks ago I dinged the van on a wall :cry: My good old local garage has done a fantastic job of the bodywork :thumb:, however the narrow rubbing strip along the side was crumpled, and I have been unable to find a one the correct width ( 19mm ). I have sourced some plain aluminium feathered edge trim of the correct width that I am going to use.

My query is - when using sikaflex, is it instant grab or do you need to hold it in position for any length of time and which is the best one to use, the length of trim will be about 3.5 metres so difficult to apply pressure to the whole length. I could put screws through, but wanted to avoid this if possible. Also if using screws, can I use stainless steel ? I seem to remember that aluminium and steel causes some kind of reaction.

cheers John

Attached Files:

2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Aluminium and stainless steel are fine together, used all the time on aluminium mast fittings. trim is often just pop riveted on. if using sikaflex you would need to clamp in position for at least 15mins. But no great pressure required

3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

most trims are bonded on with mastic, not sikaflex to allow for movement. its available in a flat ribbon form on a roll from most accessory shops. or talk to the bodyshop you used and they will have a more permanent mastic/glue on a roll used for all sorts from windows to trim pieces

4. golly

golly Funster

I have seen the ribbon type, the original trim had it on, the original had a plastic insert to which hid the screw heads but the trim I have is a plain flat strip. I will probably use the ribbon mastic an use raised head stainless steel screws.

5. freelanderuk

freelanderuk Read Only Funster

could you use 3m tape ,the same as which is used to stick trim to the out side of cars

6. Mendoza

Mendoza Read Only Funster

, but wanted to avoid this if possible. Also if using screws, can I use stainless steel ? I seem to remember that aluminium and steel causes some kind of reaction.

---------------------------------

Your DVD choice --- The Vampire Diaries Season 3 DVD ,one more shoot to scores.

7. golly

golly Funster

Never seen this, is it readily available ? however I think I would need some sort of mastic / sealer as there are a series of slots through the plastic / aluminium