Replacement Parts Manufacturers (1 Viewer)

OddSocks

Free Member
Apr 10, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I am looking at getting a service done before we go off on our long European trek, as I don't know when the last service was performed, or what work was done, before I purchased it last month.

So I am going to buy all the oil and fuel filters, air filter etc. and then just have them fitted.

I am looking at Eurocarparts and the have several manufacturers. Any recommendations, or are they all the same really? Certainly different prices!

Hengst
Crosland
Mann
Guttmann

I have a 1990 Mercedes 208D.

Any recommendations for which oil to put in it?

Any recommendations for a garage in Cornwall to do the work for me?

Many thanks

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
from preference I would stick with Mann. not certain which grade oil it uses, but would suggest you confirm this from the owners manual.
have you downloaded the copy of the workshop manual for your van yet? if not pm me and i will give you a link to my dropbox account for one

dont forget it would be sensible for a van of that age to change brake, axle and gearbox fluids too. it will certainly prolong the life of your investment. every £1 of preventative maintenance is better than £10 when it breaks down

DP+JAY

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 17, 2010
Dalbeattie
Funster No
MH
Laika 5009
Exp
since 2007, 25 years tuggin before that.
I'd go withh Mann, or Crossland.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I am looking at getting a service done before we go off on our long European trek, as I don't know when the last service was performed, or what work was done, before I purchased it last month.

So I am going to buy all the oil and fuel filters, air filter etc. and then just have them fitted.

I am looking at Eurocarparts and the have several manufacturers. Any recommendations, or are they all the same really? Certainly different prices!

Hengst
Crosland
Mann
Guttmann

I have a 1990 Mercedes 208D.

Any recommendations for which oil to put in it?

[HI]Any recommendations for a garage in Cornwall to do the work for me?[/HI]

Many thanks

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

Frankly, I doubt whether you supplying the oils and parts will save any money..

Garages can buy oils and parts far cheaper than you can and the mark up is part of their profit.

If you supply, the profit lost will simply be added to the labour costs .. plus you have the hassle sourcing.. and if a part is wrong.. YOU will be responsible for exchanging .. and that may cost more money in labour while you get it sorted.

Most garages do not rip people off, but they do need to make a profit in order to operate.. you are trying to undercut that margine.. good luck..

Last edited:

Tootles

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 14, 2013
Lancaster
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Was a newbie, now a Middie.
Frankly, I doubt whether you supplying the oils and parts will save any money..

Garages can buy oils and parts far cheaper than you can and the mark up is part of their profit.

If you supply, the profit lost will simply be added to the labour costs .. plus you have the hassle sourcing.. and if a part is wrong.. YOU will be responsible for exchanging .. and that may cost more money in labour while you get it sorted.

Most garages do not rip people off, but they do need to make a profit in order to operate.. you are trying to undercut that margine.. good luck..

Unlike a tugging friend of ours, put his Jag in for service, was charged £87.00 for engine oil.
Bet it came from Tesco.

barearse

Free Member
Dec 31, 2012
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
Just starting
Service parts

Hello Oddsocks,my 709D has bigger OM364 engine.I used Mann filters and Fleetstar 15w40 oil all obtained from local commercial motor factors.I use VOSA licensed motor engineers near me,class 4,5 ,7 & motorhomes.Found them to be very satisfactory.They have also changed my gearbox & diff oils too.No use to you in Manchester:Doh:but I would say seek out local family run commercial vehicle engineers.I,m also fortunate that I have an ex Mercedes mechanic who will tackle anything for £25 p/hr.He put new front discs and pads on her last summer.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back