Replacement Fridge Needed Quickly. Advice Please ;)

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by CandC, Jul 16, 2015.

1. CandC

CandC Funster Life Member

Hi all. My camper has been at the poorly fridge doctor today :( . I got the phone call and the old 3 way rm122f fridge is very poorly indeed :swear: While it would cool on mains, I had to have the gas function checked out as the previous owner had decided to remove the gas pipe for reasons known only to himself.

Well, it turns out that the gas will light, but isn't cooling the fridge.

So, my options are: go without a fridge (not gonna happen), try to track down a 2nd hand one and hope it works properly, buy a new rm123 (not sure if the existing flu will fit although it says the rm123 is the modern replacement for the 122f) or fit a compressor fridge.

If I go down the compressor fridge route, I have 185AH of leisure battery, a 60w solar panel and will be moving most days so can recharge with my 110A split charge relay.

Does the compressor fridge require top and bottom vents, the same as absorption fridges and how big should these be please?

We're going away in just over 2 weeks so really need to get moving on this.

I'd be grateful for any opinions and advice, but reserve the right not to follow them etc etc ;)

I'm currently leaning towards the compressor option, but as said, need to know about top and bottom vents and how much gap to leave at the back.

Thanks a lot,
    Colin x

Oh and there was SOME good news... the engineer checked out the blown air heating and the cooker and pressure tested the whole system... all good :D

2. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

From what you've said a fully electric fridge would suit you, the batteries and solar and your way of 'holidaying' should be more than sufficient to provide enough power to keep it cool. It should also proved to be a lot cheaper to buy and install than a 3-way one too. These types of fridges require no external venting at all so you won't need to worry about lining it up with the existing vents or flue either.

• Like Like x 2
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

I would pop onto ebay and contact one of the several caravan dismantlers and buy a tested S/H fridge to directly replace what you already have

• Like Like x 2
  4. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 1
  5. CandC

Thank you both for your replies :)

@MinxyGirl sadly, the fridge you linked to on eBay is too big but I'll take a good look at the others in case I do find one which fits ;) Thank you for the info regarding vents: it's good to know that the compressor fridge would be a viable option (y)

@TheBig1 I've scoured eBay looking for a direct replacement already, but hadn't thought of trying caravan dismantlers. I'll see what I can find :) thanks for that!

6. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

A partially blocked jet will still light but the flame will not be strong enough to cause the cooling. I would either clean it or replace it.
    If the cooling unit works on mains then it can only be the flame that is at fault

• Like Like x 5
  7. CandC

Thank you. I will investigate further this weekend. A new jet would certainly be cheaper than a new fridge :D

8. TheBig1

about £10 last time I bought one and relatively simple to fit too. just dont be tempted to poke anything through a blocked jet's hole.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Techno

• Like Like x 1
  10. CandC

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheBig1

12. Cal54

Cal54 Funster Life Member

I have a small compressor fridge in my van and would highly recommend if you need to replace the whole thing. Your style of travel certainly supports such a fridge as pointed out by Mel.

• Like Like x 2
  13. CandC

Thank you, it's good to have further confirmation. A compressor fridge it is then if I do need to fit new. We'll see what happens tomorrow and take it from there :)

14. CandC

Oh well, just got back from the poorly fridge doctor and it looks like I'll be getting a new fridge. The engineer told me that he had cleaned the jet and the "flame profile" was perfect. Sadly though, after two hours of running, the temperature only dropped by four degrees.

His conclusion was that the cooling unit is kaput, having just enough residual coolant to give the illusion that it was working.

On the plus side, without the cooling unit and gas gubbins, a larger capacity compressor fridge will sit in the same space as the 30l electrolux one.

The Waeco cr50 is my most likely choice although the webasto cl49 is running a close second. Any comment on either of these fridges please?

15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I thought you said it was working OK on mains?

16. Techno

Yes so the cooling unit works
    My thoughts too

17. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

An old ,and cheap fix if you have it out of van turn it upside down and leave it a day or so then put it upright and see if it improves ,it usually does (y)

• Like Like x 2
  18. Techno

I'm inclined to believe that is an old wives tale
    Fridge engineers laugh at the notion

19. jollyrodger

jollyrodger Funster Life Member

Done it no wives tale it works

20. CandC

I *thought* that it was working properly on mains as the small tray bit was getting colder to the touch, but I left it running on hookup for a few hours today and that was about it... it was just the tray that got colder.