Replacement Fridge Needed Quickly. Advice Please ;) (1 Viewer)

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Old School :D
Exp
Used to go with the olds! Now I have one of my own :)
Hi all. My camper has been at the poorly fridge doctor today :( . I got the phone call and the old 3 way rm122f fridge is very poorly indeed :swear: While it would cool on mains, I had to have the gas function checked out as the previous owner had decided to remove the gas pipe for reasons known only to himself.

Well, it turns out that the gas will light, but isn't cooling the fridge.

So, my options are: go without a fridge (not gonna happen), try to track down a 2nd hand one and hope it works properly, buy a new rm123 (not sure if the existing flu will fit although it says the rm123 is the modern replacement for the 122f) or fit a compressor fridge.

If I go down the compressor fridge route, I have 185AH of leisure battery, a 60w solar panel and will be moving most days so can recharge with my 110A split charge relay.

Does the compressor fridge require top and bottom vents, the same as absorption fridges and how big should these be please?

We're going away in just over 2 weeks so really need to get moving on this.

I'd be grateful for any opinions and advice, but reserve the right not to follow them etc etc ;)

I'm currently leaning towards the compressor option, but as said, need to know about top and bottom vents and how much gap to leave at the back.

Thanks a lot,
Colin x

Oh and there was SOME good news... the engineer checked out the blown air heating and the cooker and pressure tested the whole system... all good :D

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
From what you've said a fully electric fridge would suit you, the batteries and solar and your way of 'holidaying' should be more than sufficient to provide enough power to keep it cool. It should also proved to be a lot cheaper to buy and install than a 3-way one too. These types of fridges require no external venting at all so you won't need to worry about lining it up with the existing vents or flue either.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
I would pop onto ebay and contact one of the several caravan dismantlers and buy a tested S/H fridge to directly replace what you already have

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Just found this 3-way one on Ebay ... not sure if it's any good ...

Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Thank you both for your replies :)

@MinxyGirl sadly, the fridge you linked to on eBay is too big but I'll take a good look at the others in case I do find one which fits ;) Thank you for the info regarding vents: it's good to know that the compressor fridge would be a viable option (y)

@TheBig1 I've scoured eBay looking for a direct replacement already, but hadn't thought of trying caravan dismantlers. I'll see what I can find :) thanks for that!

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Well, it turns out that the gas will light, but isn't cooling the fridge.
A partially blocked jet will still light but the flame will not be strong enough to cause the cooling. I would either clean it or replace it.
If the cooling unit works on mains then it can only be the flame that is at fault

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
A partially blocked jet will still light but the flame will not be strong enough to cause the cooling. I would either clean it or replace it.
If the cooling unit works on mains then it can only be the flame that is at fault

Thank you. I will investigate further this weekend. A new jet would certainly be cheaper than a new fridge :D

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Thank you. I will investigate further this weekend. A new jet would certainly be cheaper than a new fridge :D
about £10 last time I bought one and relatively simple to fit too. just dont be tempted to poke anything through a blocked jet's hole.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
This shows the parts and may help as it identifies the required jet and where it is
Gas Zone item 415
Broken Link Removed

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
This shows the parts and may help as it identifies the required jet and where it is
Gas Zone item 415
Broken Link Removed

I would give a double like for this post if I could :) I'll let you know how it goes.

Cal54

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 25, 2014
Southport, UK
Funster No
MH
Leisuredrive Renoir
Exp
Since 1996
I have a small compressor fridge in my van and would highly recommend if you need to replace the whole thing. Your style of travel certainly supports such a fridge as pointed out by Mel.

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
I have a small compressor fridge in my van and would highly recommend if you need to replace the whole thing. Your style of travel certainly supports such a fridge as pointed out by Mel.

Thank you, it's good to have further confirmation. A compressor fridge it is then if I do need to fit new. We'll see what happens tomorrow and take it from there :)

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Oh well, just got back from the poorly fridge doctor and it looks like I'll be getting a new fridge. The engineer told me that he had cleaned the jet and the "flame profile" was perfect. Sadly though, after two hours of running, the temperature only dropped by four degrees.

His conclusion was that the cooling unit is kaput, having just enough residual coolant to give the illusion that it was working.

On the plus side, without the cooling unit and gas gubbins, a larger capacity compressor fridge will sit in the same space as the 30l electrolux one.

The Waeco cr50 is my most likely choice although the webasto cl49 is running a close second. Any comment on either of these fridges please?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
Oh well, just got back from the poorly fridge doctor and it looks like I'll be getting a new fridge. The engineer told me that he had cleaned the jet and the "flame profile" was perfect. Sadly though, after two hours of running, the temperature only dropped by four degrees.

His conclusion was that the cooling unit is kaput, having just enough residual coolant to give the illusion that it was working.

On the plus side, without the cooling unit and gas gubbins, a larger capacity compressor fridge will sit in the same space as the 30l electrolux one.

The Waeco cr50 is my most likely choice although the webasto cl49 is running a close second. Any comment on either of these fridges please?
I thought you said it was working OK on mains?

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
I'm inclined to believe that is an old wives tale
Fridge engineers laugh at the notion

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
I thought you said it was working OK on mains?
I *thought* that it was working properly on mains as the small tray bit was getting colder to the touch, but I left it running on hookup for a few hours today and that was about it... it was just the tray that got colder.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Have you tried Blaeavon salvage , they sella lot of second hand items for the caravanner and motorhomer

THE CARAVAN CENTRE BLAENAVON, UK's LARGEST CARAVAN ...
www.caravanbreakers.net/
Index, THE CARAVAN CENTRE - BLAENAVON, UK's LARGEST BREAKERS, Over 10 000 Windows In Stock Today ! - (01495) 792 700 ...
We have found them. very helpful

Kath

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
An old ,and cheap fix if you have it out of van turn it upside down and leave it a day or so then put it upright and see if it improves ,it usually does (y)

Done it no wives tale it works

Maybe a long shot, but the fridge has to come out anyway if I'm fitting a new one so I'll give it a go tomorrow and keep my fingers crossed.

Thank you ALL for your suggestions and advice :)

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I'm inclined to believe that is an old wives tale
Fridge engineers laugh at the notion
definitely works for old fridges. not so certain about the latest models

OP
OP
CandC

CandC

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 22, 2014
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Exp
Well, just to let you all know the outcome (don't want to leave you hanging after all the advice)...

A little more info about the original post: I was at work, about 70 miles away from my camper when I got the call. The bit where I said it was cooling on mains was from me, not the engineer and was based on the plate getting cold to touch. I haven't had any experience of s 3 way fridge before now, so I thought that meant it was working. I wanted the post out there asap to start getting info and options together due to timescale issues. Apologies @tonyidle and @Techno100 for any duff info I put in because of that ;)

Since I last posted on this thread, I've done quite a lot of reading about turning the fridge upside down etc. as suggested by @jollyrodger and @TheBig1 It seems that this method may work, but could be short lived with the blockage moving elsewhere. As we're off to Scotland in less than 2 weeks and will be wilding in the middle of no-where for some of it, I don't want to risk being stuck with a glorified coolbox!

I took a look at the breaker website suggested by @champers and they did indeed have a direct replacement for my rm122f 3 way fridge. However, I felt at £250 plus fitting, the money would be much better spent on a new compressor fridge which I will be comfortable fitting myself. Thanks @MinxyGirl and @Cal54 for your confirmation that this should be viable.

So, I have ordered myself a Waeco CR50 compressor fridge which gives me an extra 19L of storage capacity, won't use any gas, will work better than an old 3 way, will let me park on slopes and still have a working fridge and will be shiny and new with a 2 year warranty.

Thanks again for all your help. I'll put some pics up once it's installed (probably this weekend now) and let you know how I get on with my new toy :clap2:

Colin.

champers

Funster
LIFE MEMBER
Mar 9, 2009
Skegness, UK
Funster No
MH
Frankia i650 FD
Exp
Since March 09
Glad you are sorted , we did pay over £350 for a part on our Fridge from another supplier which is an AES style fridge (sorry cant recall what the part was called ) but now at least you will have a cold beer or white wine again !

Kath

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back