Replacement Fiat ignition key (1 Viewer)

May 23, 2012
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
Rapido 666f
Exp
Just a thought.. there is a difference between a coded key and a remote control key
The coded key is chipped but has no buttons.
A common misconception is that the key is coded.. Nope.
The key is a pretty inert bit of kit.. You have to program the ECU to accept the new key ( often limited to a maximum of 4 keys ).. This is why you have to take the van to the key supplier
Here is another guy who thinks keys are coded is he wrong too. http://www.autokeysquad.com/advice/modern-car-keys-work

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
The type of key used to clone with is not the same as an ordinary key..

Dec 21, 2010
Wakefield
Funster No
MH
Autotrail Vline
Exp
Since 1999
We bought a new dumb key for our Ducato. It was called a code 2 key which is a clone. I watched them do it too, they had a blank key which was cut from our existing key, then he taped a blank transponder to our working key and turned ignition on and off five times, then went back to a machine called ZedBull, inserted the key after about three minutes he put the transponder in the new key then went back to our van and it started job done.

I did some research into the dealer keys too. When ordered from the dealer the new key comes already cut to the locks as it left the factory, and are part coded from the vin number. The new key then needs to be programmed to the immobiliser on the vehicle. To gain entry to the immobiliser one needs the immobiliser code from the dealer.

I can confirm that new remote fobs do have to be obtained from the dealer. Please do NOT buy a remote fob from the likes of Ebay, thinking it may work on your MH it WON'T as they will have been programmed already to another and can only be programmed once, OK if you just wat to swap the innerds

Regards

Dill

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
We bought a new dumb key for our Ducato. It was called a code 2 key which is a clone. I watched them do it too, they had a blank key which was cut from our existing key, then he taped a blank transponder to our working key and turned ignition on and off five times, then went back to a machine called ZedBull, inserted the key after about three minutes he put the transponder in the new key then went back to our van and it started job done.

I did some research into the dealer keys too. When ordered from the dealer the new key comes already cut to the locks as it left the factory, and are part coded from the vin number. The new key then needs to be programmed to the immobiliser on the vehicle. To gain entry to the immobiliser one needs the immobiliser code from the dealer.

I can confirm that new remote fobs do have to be obtained from the dealer. Please do NOT buy a remote fob from the likes of Ebay, thinking it may work on your MH it WON'T as they will have been programmed already to another and can only be programmed once, OK if you just wat to swap the innerds

Regards

Dill
We're going to see someone who MAY be able to re-programme one of ours (a spare remote which we bought for our previous camper from Fiat) ... I'll report back when we've been!

PeteH

Free Member
Nov 22, 2007
East Riding of Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Rapido, 999M.
Exp
18+yrs plus 25+Towing
OH! for the "good `ol days" Box of blanks, Plus a Bar of Soap! and a key cutter! (or in my case the engine room Vice and a Fine small file)!! Used to get me into the Fridge, Cold room, AND the beer store!!. Chief Steward could never work it out!

Pete

Molls-Phot

Free Member
Oct 8, 2009
Lee-on-Solent
Funster No
MH
Swift Rio 340
Exp
Since November 2009
We're in this predicament having recently lost the original flip key to our van. We still have the spare blade key but I miss the convenience of the central locking buttons. The Fiat main dealer has quoted almost £280 for a re-programmed replacement. In looking for a cheaper alternative, one auto locksmith has already said they can't help.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
We're in this predicament having recently lost the original flip key to our van. We still have the spare blade key but I miss the convenience of the central locking buttons. The Fiat main dealer has quoted almost £280 for a re-programmed replacement. In looking for a cheaper alternative, one auto locksmith has already said they can't help.
Sadly in this instance I think you have to bite the Fiat bullet, I don't know enough to get involved with the earlier posts in such detail but my working experience and input from a locksmith friend who can work miracles with keys, locks and some electronics is that Fiat are at best difficult and usually impossible. We both have experience of cloned key cobs causing serious issues with immobilisers. Best of luck.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010

I used this guy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUC...627658?hash=item1a3c77b48a:g:QxoAAOxyk99RzHqx

and made a trip away out of it, calling in at his to get it done. It took him about 20mins. Our original remote key was only working intermittently and he did end up using the blade key, so where the advert says one working key required I think he means either a remote or plain blade one.

I know that there have been other threads listing other suppliers, so it can be done if the auto locksmith has the right equipment.

joka250

Free Member
Jul 29, 2017
Fylde Coast.
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Since 1985
I used this guy

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/FIAT-DUC...627658?hash=item1a3c77b48a:g:QxoAAOxyk99RzHqx

and made a trip away out of it, calling in at his to get it done. It took him about 20mins. Our original remote key was only working intermittently and he did end up using the blade key, so where the advert says one working key required I think he means either a remote or plain blade one.

I know that there have been other threads listing other suppliers, so it can be done if the auto locksmith has the right equipment.
Correct me if I misunderstand but when he states 1 working key required it means a working 3 button key flip out key. I think if that is the case o p has lost that key.

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Correct me if I misunderstand but when he states 1 working key required it means a working 3 button key flip out key. I think if that is the case o p has lost that key.
That's what I originally thought but I gave him the remote key which he faffed about with for a couple of minutes then asked if I'd got another key at which point I gave him the flat bladed one which he then used to do whatever trickery he needed to do. He did also plug something into the obd which I think gave the code needed for the programming.

Obviously if OP was going to use him it would need clarifying before travelling.

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i bought a cheap remote from ebay which worked to lock and unlock the doors on a 2008 fiat ducato i was told about it on here i think i still have one which i keep meaning to try on my renault i will try it in the morning if i can find the insructions to programe it if it doesnt work your welcome to it

bobandjanie

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 28, 2008
Javea, Spain
Funster No
MH
Pilote V600g
Exp
My brother is a auto locksmith and knowing how much the equipment cost the vans workshop and attending courses to work for the AA / RAC it's more than just cutting and programming keys it's getting in vehicles being trained to be a professional car thief. :LOL:
For the hours and milage he does I think it's cheap, just when he thinks he is going home and finds the recovery company has dumped 3 or 4 cars in the yard, and most of the keys done through the dealer a qualified auto locksmith has been and sorted them. :) http://www.remotekeyservices.co.uk
;) No funsters or family discount. :LOL: Bob.

Last edited:
Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
can any one find the thread where the remotes were recomended as they only worked up to a certain year several funsters bought them and only some worked depending on year just checked ebay listing and it was around 11/7/2016 what year is the OP'S VAN?
#

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Nov 17, 2018
Somerset
Funster No
MH
Campervan
Exp
I'm a Newbie
Not wishing to hijack the thread, but it is fairly dormant so hopefully the original OP will not mind :).

I have a 2004 Ducato with only a single key, for peace of mind I'd really like a spare. The original has no buttons, i.e. no remote locking/unlocking, but it does have a press button to flick out the key from the fob and unlocking/locking the drivers door also locks/unlocks the passenger and rear doors. Can anyone suggest how/where I can get a spare without breaking the bank?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back