Replacement Carb Gasket for Tiffin Allegro 1989.. any ideas? (1 Viewer)

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
Hi, can anyone suggest the best place to go for a new carb gasket for 1989 Tiffin Allegro. Our motor suffers loss of power as air is getting into the fuel so starving the engine... its hell when on the road as she lurches & labours, hence we havent been going far if anywhere the past 12 mths.

We had the carb off, cleaned out, replaced the old gasket to see how she ran, great for a short while & back to labouring problem.

Replacement gasket is probably the answer but wheres the best place.

All advice is welcome.

thanks,
Bev & Griff

OP
OP
Bev Griffiths

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
Hi again, thanks for getting back so quickly. Had already suggested to the better half about making our own gasket, but, as you may have guessed, because were looking at the original on her, the gasket is nearly in total tatters & would be a nightmere to try & copy ourselves. Had considered having the carb off, taking to someone for them to copy mirror fashion to make a new one.

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Just repeating the same as has already been suggested, if the existing is in to bad a shape to trace around as a template, then you could always try using something like grease proof paper placed over the part of the Carb where the gasket should sit and using a pencil trace around the edges, then cut out the traced area and use that as a template on your new gasket material.

They also do a liquid gasket that may be worth looking at if you can't get or make a replacement, here's a link to one company that makes it, never used it myself

http://www.threebond.co.uk/

also some other suggestions that came up on a search

http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080812022513AAOmnUq

Hope that makes sense, Best of luck

Hi again, thanks for getting back so quickly. Had already suggested to the better half about making our own gasket, but, as you may have guessed, because were looking at the original on her, the gasket is nearly in total tatters & would be a nightmere to try & copy ourselves. Had considered having the carb off, taking to someone for them to copy mirror fashion to make a new one.

OP
OP
Bev Griffiths

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
thanks.. never thought about the liquid option (will take a proper look later) but think that it probably wouldnt do the job on our carb. Have spoken with Griff & he says the gasket is made up from 3 different gaskets, 1 normal thickness paper & a further 2 that are about 3mm thick & would seem to be a heck of a job to cut all the same ourselves with a proper fit.

keep the suggestions coming.... happy to look at all options & take advice.

thanks everyone.
B.xx

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

Just another thought, I assume you have been using google or some other search facility, and if you have what have you been searching if you have been using the title of this thread or something similar you may be limiting your results to "tiffin Allegro".

Have you tried searching against the Carb manufacturer and type, as it could be used on a number of vehicles and you never know someone out there mite just have what you are looking for but off of another type of vehicle.

Just a thought

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Is the engine Chevy or Ford.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Bev Griffiths

Bev Griffiths

Free Member
Mar 24, 2009
Widnes, Cheshire
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Bought Our Bus Nov 2008
chev engine snowbird..

will keep trying to find correct gaskets, as the 'make your own' option to be totally honest, really isn't the way forward when we have to make 3 & all at different paper thickness & trying to get them spot on. May aswell try & buy the right thing with total less hassle. (the lads have already tried doing 1 homemade job & it wasnt the best)

Will give american vehicles a shot (thanks olley & braunston) even if they have to get them direct from USA, the shipping would prob cost more than the gaskets, but with Griff & Karl (mechanic mate) both working shifts & trying to sort this out, the correct & proper gasket would save time, energy & their tempers I thinks!

This years fishing season nearly upon us.... the old girl has to be ready for the road & be able to go further than a stone throw without labouring, shes a good motor & just needs a little love & care. (hey, don't we all! ::bigsmile:)

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Agree, Rodley should have them in stock,if not they recieve shipments weekly.

wasp

Free Member
Dec 21, 2008
Warsop
Funster No
MH
None gone caravannin
Exp
I would try Rodley motors I used to buy from them when I owned american cars
you need to know the carb brand Carter or Holley or whichever, is it a 2 barrel or a four barrel Cheers Rob

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
If it's a Carter an Edelbrock will fit exactly to the manifold. Just pick the correct one for the job.

I was having erratic running problems and pondered on rebuilding the old Carter on there.Then I decided that trying to compensate for 30 years wear by rebuilding wasn't economical or reliable.

I purchased a new one and it did exactly what it says in the video on the installation CD,

It ran great out of the box.Just keeping an eye on the fuel mixtures.

Just find the correct flow rate for the vehicle.Just don't choose too big a carb.

Bought a brand new one with additional thicker "thermal" gasket to prevent heat seepage into the carb body causing fuel vaporisation/fuel locks when running in hot conditions.

Runs a treat.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back