Replace Carver 3000 with Leccy Convection (3 Viewers)

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Hi folks, I currently have a Carver 3000 fitted to my 1995 Swift but with two small kids I'm a bit nearvous with using gas to heat the MH and the Carver jets need replacing anyway:cry:. Have any of you fitted an electric convection heater or similar in place of the gas Carver? I've seen this one from O'Learey Motorhomes (link below).

http://www.olearymotorhomes.co.uk/ecoflex-el-convector-230v-1572-p.asp

ps - We only ever visit sites with hookup and do not wild-camp.

Cheers
Gregg:thumb:

Apr 27, 2008
Eastbourne East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer low profile
Exp
Since 1972
Electric heating is OK if you are always on a site with a high current EHU, but not much good if you went to France in the colder parts of the year as many EHUs are only 4 or 6A.

The heater you specify is only 500w so you wouldn't be very warm if you only had one of them. I would think for autumn/spring in the UK you would need 2 or 3 of them, and even that would be inadequate in the winter.

The gas heater in my van produces the equivalent of 8kW so would need the equivalent of a 32A hookup to produce the same heat.

I would say electric heating is fine to supplement gas heating, but a bit limiting on its own.

Upvote 0
OP
OP
greggzy001

greggzy001

Free Member
Sep 17, 2011
Aberdeen
Funster No
MH
Chausson Flash 03
Exp
Since 2011
Thanks for the info, one other thing that I had forgotten to consider.....Our glorious Scottish weather! I guess I'll stick with the Gas system. My blown air wiorks fine but I'll just fork out and get the gas heater repaired.

Thanks
Gregg

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
The Craver 3000 is a great heater, very safe as there is no naked flame and it is vented to the the outside of the van.. I have one in my caravan.. throws out a great heat. From a gas prospective, I would have no qualms about the kids safety.

Personally I wouldn't remove the Carver, but have it serviced .. and by all means buy a supplementary electric heater.. my choice would be a fan heater or oil filled radiator ..
IMO both safer than a convector.. but with kids around you have to take extra special care, no matter what heater you use.

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back