repairing/replacing formica table tops (1 Viewer)

Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Hi All,
At long last taken the plunge and bought a hymer B 584, its a nice airy van, unfortunetly, things have been dropped resulting in some nasty dings in the table . Is there an effective repair system, or what would it cost to replace.
Thanks
Steph

Jan 11, 2010
Chester
Funster No
MH
Auto-trail
Exp
Well that`s our 13th year & still loving it.
You can buy some formica and just recover the top simple job with some contact adhesive.

Bart

Free Member
Jun 4, 2016
Northern Ireland
Funster No
MH
Boxer L4H2 van build
Exp
Since 2016
Last edited:
May 8, 2016
silver coast, portugal
Funster No
MH
C Class: Low profile
Exp
Boatie for 20 years
Our builders used these people on our place following "snagging". Couple of tooling marks on uPVC windows, a dent (that we did) in a kitchen unit. The builders paid for a full day in site (around £250, I believe) and the craftsman's work was nothing short of spectacular. Well recommended

Enjoy your new van a bit, then make a list of all the bits you want sorted out, and leave them to it. (Personally I would avoid formica if you can, though)

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
the cheap and easy way is to fill the holes with car body filler and paint to match

OP
OP
stephsol
Jul 7, 2016
Powys, UK
Funster No
MH
hymer b584
Exp
Im a newgie
Thanks everyone,
The plastic surgeon is worth a quote, and the body filler never crossed my mind, would you put the paint into the mix or apply it on top when the product is still tacky?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
I repaired a worktop in a caravan I used Plastic Padding Gel Coat Filler, used white and a tiny bit of Humbrol model paint mixed in for colour. Could hardly see the repair.

Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
We bought a brand new table off ebay - reasonable cheap depending on what you want (£25 - £90) and put fittings on the bottom to match the rail (easily obtainable).
We did this not because the original table was damaged but we wanted a slightly smaller one as there were only 2 of us and it didn't take up so much room in the dinette. Obviously kept the old one to use if more people or wanted to make up the bed.

We have done exactly the same in our latest van which is a defletths.

Jan 3, 2008
Pakefield, Lowestoft, Suffolk, UK
Funster No
MH
Looking
Exp
You could use "colourfill" as used by kitchen fitters, sold in B&Q. Use the right colour and follow the instructions and it's virtually undetectable but it does depend on the size of the repair, obviously smaller ones are easier to deal with.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
Thanks everyone,
The plastic surgeon is worth a quote, and the body filler never crossed my mind, would you put the paint into the mix or apply it on top when the product is still tacky?
if the worktop is textured, press with a sponge etc to match the surface whilst still soft. then wait till hardened to paint it. have fixed several worktops and tables using this method. it is basically what the professionals do, but they have pigments to mix with the filler

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
When I did my one I mixed a drop of paint in the mix, it was a smooth worktop and as I was using Gel coat Filler just a case of filling to the correct level and putting sticky tape across the surface until set.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back