Repair Ali Wheels ? (1 Viewer)

Braunston

Free Member
May 21, 2008
Funster No
Hi,

The finish coating on one of my 16 inch 2004 Ducato ali wheels has started to flake, is it worth having it repaired or should i try to purchase another wheel, and if its better to replace it does anyone have one for sale

Don Madge

Deceased RIP
Aug 27, 2007
East Yorks
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
Too Long
Hi,

I had to replace all four alloy wheels on my 2003 Timberland Ducato after 18 months use. They weren't Fiat's own but some which Timberland had bought in.

The outer skin cracked and they just started to crumble. I replaced them and the spare with Fiat alloys and have had no trouble since.

Don

Thepips

Trade Member
Sep 26, 2007
Basingstoke
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
Slightly different I know but I had the alloys on my Subaru refurbished. The end result was remarkable. They really did look as good as new. I had mine done by Micheldever Tyres but there are loads of companies that do it.

Regards
Doug

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

American Dream

Free Member
Aug 20, 2007
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
?
Exp
?
Hi,

The finish coating on one of my 16 inch 2004 Ducato ali wheels has started to flake, is it worth having it repaired or should i try to purchase another wheel, and if its better to replace it does anyone have one for sale

Get them polished and relaquered.

A local company here quoted me approx £150 for a set of four about a year ago.

If it's only the one, shouldn't cost too much.

As mentioned previously, There are quite a few companies around.:thumb:

In my experience, it's the tyre companies that cause the damage, when they use the wrong sort of wheel balance weights and crack the laquer coating.The water gets behind it, corroding the aluminium.:Angry:

That's why, to their annoyance, I insist on watching them.:ROFLMAO:

Last edited:
S

stagman

Deleted User
Hi,

Hi ,if you are any good at diy you should be able to do it pretty easy yourself.Paint stripper for varnish,clean it all down any slight damage sand it out with fine wet and dry ,then primer around £3 a can,and then spray finish', you can buy alloy wheel spray from most motor factors about £ 7 a can enough to do four wheels , you can also top coat with laquer if you want ,another £7 .I did all my 4 Shogun wheels for less than £20 and they look great.Worth a try if your not happy you lost a cpl quid .:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back