Renting Motorhome summer 2012 (1 Viewer)

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
Can anyone provide recommendations for rental companies? I have been searching the internet for days and cannot tell a long standing company from a fly-by-night one. If you have a negative comment about a company to avoid, please send me a personal message as it is inappropriate to vent publicly in online forums.

I am at a complete loss over what to do next.

I am very active in a sailing forum and I know they are great fonts of knowledge.
Thank you

Popeye

Deceased RIP
Sep 5, 2011
edge of New Forest
Funster No
MH
Frankia Platin Plus
Exp
On and off since 1983
Hi Kathleen, try BROKEN LINK guys. I've never used them for hire, though I have had a recommendation, I have however used them for other transactions and they are professional, courteous and reliable.

....That'll be a tenner please.........:roflmto:

hilldweller

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2008
Macclesfield
Funster No
MH
Zilch Mk1
Exp
From Aug 2007
Our very own Johns Cross is the real deal, look at the right hand side of the screen.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
Pick up can be anywhere north of Manchester ideally; I am from Canada so consider your whole beautiful island an easy drive. :Smile: Staying away from London this year is also key I imagine.

The scoop on this trip...
We are from Toronto and usually sail all summer long but our boat is unavailable this summer so we decided to take the kids to Scotland (aka my in-law's homeland) and show them the house grandma grew up in etc. They have wanted to go for years.

We have 3 kids and apparently no one with 3 kids travels in your country because finding accommodation for 5 is impossible without 2 rooms ($$) so we hit upon the motorhome idea. We often call our boat a floating motorhome, and we have done lots of tent camping and have motorhome'd from Toronto to Key West before so this is not a big stretch for us.

And now this trip has become so exciting that the in-laws have decided to come along; we need a 7 person motorhome.

That's the scoop. Once I get a motorhome rented I can put my mind to an agenda and will solicit advice then.

I have contacted John Cross and Tishead (they might not have 7 px) and am awaiting replies - thanks for the tips.

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
Have a look at this rental company, just off Jct 24 of the M1, we're hiring from them in a few weeks time for the second year - www.xplore-it-uk.com/

Not north of Manchester but reasonable prices and very reliable.

:france::france::france:

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
Thanks! We are 7 people so Tilshead didn't work but they were very helpful anyway. Xplore-it looks good so am perusing that suggestion.

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
Hi Kathleen, try BROKEN LINK guys. I've never used them for hire, though I have had a recommendation, I have however used them for other transactions and they are professional, courteous and reliable.

....That'll be a tenner please.........:roflmto:

Ha Ha, they can't do 7 people so there goes your tenner! But, if you see us parked next to you this summer please come by for a pint.

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
Wow, how bizzarre

I am Coming to Canada Tortonto with my two boys next August and am,,,,

guess what,,,

currently looking for a hire company in Torronto to hire an RV...

All the internet prime ones seem so expensive, I only want a rent a wreck to explore the falls and drive in to the states? Is it normally allowed to take an RV out of Canada to the US?

Shame there are 7 of you as this may prove difficult in the UK for one van, most at a maximum would have seatbelts for 6 and our little euro boxes are quite cramped for that many people....:Blush:

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
Consider flying and renting from Buffalo, New York

How cool is that!

I will find out who we used in 2000 when we dove to Key West, Florida and get back to you. It was a very fun trip. I believe they were good to deal with. It wasn't a beater though

Gas is cheaper here at least: about 1.28 L. Don't know about diesel but it will be less too.

Do you have to fly into Toronto? It is almost always cheaper to fly into Buffalo. Check out Buffalo Niagara Intl Airport and Niagara Falls Inter. Airport (they are different). All major USA carriers fly into either one of those. When we travel as a family we often drive the 2 hours to Buffalo, park the car in long term parking and go. Is much, much cheaper for 5 people.

Also, check out Buffalo for RV rentals. Everything is bigger and less expensive in the States. Border towns in Canada are hit hard by the massive amount of cross boarder shopping.

If you are going to the States anyway I think you should consider this option.

Ridgeway

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 10, 2012
Lausanne
Funster No
MH
NiBi Arto 85E
Exp
Since 2012
Wow, how bizzarre

guess what,,,

All the internet prime ones seem so expensive, I only want a rent a wreck to explore the falls and drive in to the states? Is it normally allowed to take an RV out of Canada to the US?

Shame there are 7 of you as this may prove difficult in the UK for one van, most at a maximum would have seatbelts for 6 and our little euro boxes are quite cramped for that many people....:Blush:

Is this going to be MHF's first international motorhome swap holiday ?

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
you are going to be pushed to find 7 berth

Few motor homes this side of the pond have 7 seat belts... You are going to be looking for an RV to get 7 berths ...

While my Winnebago has 7 belted seats it sleeps 4... while there are some bigger RV's in the UK and you can hire them, you are going to find it very very expensive.. also the bigger it gets the harder it is to find camp sites that will accept it.

Suggest you try the sister site of www.rvoc.co.uk ..... all yanks there and you could ask if they have a recommendation or two.

Bob

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kathleen you do not say how long for ?If you do a ebay search for 7 berth motor home it comes up with a few hire co's -- about £100 per day all in :whatthe: There is a co I know v good but they are way down south of Manchester.
good luck on your search :thumb:
terry

aba

Free Member
Oct 27, 2009
yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
dec 2009
i would suggest getting 2 smaller motorhomes as you will find they will probably go around scotland a little easier and as said 7 traveling would be hard to find a van big enough.

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would also recommend two smaller m'homes for getting around Scotland especially if you want to get up the West Coast where many roads are small and single track. You would also have no problem in sourcing these.Whatever you decide enjoy our beautiful country!
:Cool:

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
the falls are better from the US side

Wow, how bizzarre

guess what,,,

The falls are better from t he US side.. we have done both sides and have driven US hire cars over in to Canada and back... homeland security is long now and takes for ever.. the rainbow or peace bridge we found was easier to get across than the main truck route.. still have to go through formalities both sides in both directions even if it is only an hour trip.

The park on the USA side allows a good view of the falls looking towards the Canadian side.. lots of lights and the falls light up in the dark. We stay in Buffalo and take the short drive to the falls.. Also the parking is a lot easier on the US side than the Canadian side.

Bob

hdvrod

Free Member
Dec 27, 2011
devon
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since jan 2011
I would also recommend two smaller m'homes for getting around Scotland especially if you want to get up the West Coast where many roads are small and single track. You would also have no problem in sourcing these.Whatever you decide enjoy our beautiful country!
:Cool:
I agree!!

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
What is wrong with you lot,2 x 4 b = 700 quid 1 x 7 b = prob 800 week less room but it makes things more cosy :thumb: and yes I have been all along the tight roads meeting up face to face with a big coach ::bigsmile:all adds to the fun
terry

Roryboys Dad

Free Member
Mar 19, 2012
Glapwell Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
Pilote Reference P716 LPR
Exp
At Xplore-it-uk there is a Carioca 707 - 7 berth - 7 seats - 7 seat belts - 6.25 Metres long.

It should have no more trouble on the worst of the narrow Scottish roads than any other vehicle.

:france::france::france:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
oooops missed 2 x 700 =1400 :winky:
What is wrong with you lot,2 x 4 b = 700 = 1400 quid 1 x 7 b = prob 800 week less room but it makes things more cosy and yes I have been all along the tight roads meeting up face to face with a big coach all adds to the fun
terry

slobadoberbob

Free Member
Jun 1, 2009
Kent, garden of England
Funster No
MH
Winnebago 23' something
Exp
25 years & counting
it all depends on the make up of the 7

It may all depend on the make up of the 7...... ?????? are there children involved or all adults.

7 on a motorhome could be a bit tight if the weather was bad...as it seems to be these days:winky:

But the main disadvantages I would see is 7 people using a european toilet at times.. cooking for that number as well.. plus finding somewhere to store all the clothes and cases, plus the food.... I do not think it would be a lot of fun.

Scotland is not the wide open roads of the US of A or Canada where large RV's roam with a K mart, Target or similar on every corner.

Needs a lot of planning and hiring in the UK is a lot more expensive than the US or A or Canada.. and the fuel costs will knock them side ways when they work out what it will close to fill the diesel tanks.

Bob:winky:

JOHNSTEY

Free Member
Jan 14, 2011
Edinburgh
Funster No
MH
Low Profile
Exp
Our fourth glorious year!
I would still stick to 2 m'homes.It's meant to be a holiday after all! :thumb:

OP
OP
K

Kathleen

Free Member
May 17, 2012
Toronto
Funster No
MH
rental
Exp
All booked at ready to plan the route!

Thanks everyone for your help and input.

We decided on using Yourmotorhome.com and rented a 7 passenger. We may live to regret that decision but we will see. I will be sure to post how it went.

I have now moved over to the UK Touring forum and posted a request for places to stay in Scotland. If anyone has any suggestions, please find me over there.

Thank you all very much; you provided just the right kind of help when I need it.

Kathleen
PS I paid my tenner ::bigsmile:

Last edited:

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Hi Kathleen :thumb: you will get plenty of suggestions and answers to any questions.:Smile: We tend to use THE CARAVAN CLUB sites up Scotland (or wild camp,that means pulling over on lay-bys car parks or off road where ever) but to use them you have to be a member.Try looking at http://www.ukcampsite.co.uk/ for sites close to where you want to be :thumb: Don't be afraid to ask any questions no matter how daft they may seem and enjoy your hols:thumb:::bigsmile:
terry

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back