Renewing your C1 licence at 70

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Merle, Jul 29, 2015.

1. Merle

Merle Funster

Doubtless this has been done to death on previous threads but a couple of points that might be of help to any one else approaching the 70 and wishing to retain their 'grandfather rights'
    You can apply up to 3 months before your birthday BUT what they don't tell you is that doing so brings the anniversary date forward to that of the actual renewal, ie my licence wasn't due to expire until mid September but thought I would get the renewal out of the way. So new licence came through last week and it will expire July 2018!
    You will need to get form D2 to fill in, plus the doctor you have your medical done by will need to fill in form D4 and YOU MUST countersign EVERY page of that form. I understand not all doctors hold the form D4, you might be best advised to take a copy with you.
    If like me you wear glasses you must have proof of a current eye test, again some doctors will complete an eye test and be prepared to quantify their findings, some will not. One other thing, form D4 requires the results of your eye tests both with and without glasses.
    I enclosed my opticians report together with forms D2 & D4 and my old licence, just one thing don't forget to sign the BACK of form D2 .. like some me
    I have attached a copy of form D2 to show where it needs to be completed, I admit to being confused so phoned DVLA and asked them to talk me through it as there is so little to fill in DVLA  Form D2.jpg

• Like Like x 7
    • Thanks Thanks x 3
    • Useful Useful x 2
  2. Old Soldier

Old Soldier Funster

Thanks Merle. I still have a few years to go but Les got her renewal form in the post this morning so this is very useful and timely.
    Regards. Pete

• Like Like x 1
  3. icantremember

icantremember Funster

:Ta2:I have to do mine soon.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  4. s20hymer

s20hymer Funster

hya if you go onto google ..and look for.. doctors on wheels.. they do medicals for driving license etc they also have the forms D4 and fill them in ..i think my medical was about .£52 against £148 at my own doctors

• Like Like x 5
  5. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi
    My papers are in Swansea at the moment likewise my 70th is September so if it clears ok it looks like mine will run out earlier, but I would prefer to get the papers in early so has not to run out of C1 and not be lega' if not issued and back by the Birthday date, mine has been away a month now,I hope it's issued if not a re-think is on the cards.
    Pete

6. Merle

Merle Funster

I did google around a bit and yes I found doctors on wheels also, but I also found a local doctors surgery at much the same price. I find it stupid that we are retaining our 'grandfather rights' to drive up to 7.5 tonnes but we are expected, indeed must, pass the same medical taken by professional drivers of full blown trucks

7. Merle

Merle Funster

Mine took about 2 weeks including the form being returned for me to sign
    Dave

8. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

I'm blind without my glasses.......

9. peter marshall

peter marshall

Hi Dave
    I might ring them soon mine has been posted about a Month now. Pete

10. jonsea

jonsea Funster

done mine but not the c1 done it on line 24/ 7 /2015 received it back today 5 days my birthday is 17 October licence due for renewal 16/10 /2018 john

11. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

When I renewed mine at 70 (8yrs ago) the eye test was just reading some letters off a card held up by the GP.
    Now the test requires peripheral vision tests and measurements.Few GP's are able to satisfy these requirements.

12. emmitdb

emmitdb Funster

Here's something dafter.
    You have to go through this rigmarole to drive a two axled vehicle weighing 3501 kgs but you could if you so wish, (washing my mouth out right now,) buy a Range Rover and put a twin axle caravan on the back and still be legal.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Merle

Merle Funster

Yep or a 5th wheel set up of I think 12 tonnes

14. Boleroman

Boleroman Read Only Funster

I am in currently re-newing my license, I had it back firstly after 2 weeks because Doctor put wrong date on form, Had to make appointment to see Doctor for her to change date and initial it took it back and still waiting after 4weeks. Was hoping to go to France end of August, now looking doubtful.

15. busby

busby Funster

Payed £40 to a doctor advertising on the net...Sent all forms off july 10,,,license arrived back 2 weeks later...well done DVLA. Think it helps if forms are correctly filled in first time. BUSBY.

16. Bailey58

Bailey58 Funster Life Member

Thanks @Merle. (y)

An old thread I know but we all get there in the end. :(

17. tinks703

tinks703 Funster

Hi everyone, having done over 70 licence twice now. The eyesight test was the hardest, as the doc could no longer do it. However being a Specsaver customer I went and asked there, as I had an eye test some weeks before it was sorted in a few minutes for free. If you don't ask etc etc.

• Useful Useful x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  18. spongy

spongy Read Only Funster

You can still drive if you haven't received your licence by the due date providing your licence already covered you for driving that category. I think you can continue driving for up to 1 year. My licence is due for renewal on 16th October. As we are planning to tour France for September I am not sure whether to wait till we come back and apply then or apply before we go and hope there are no hitches. One problem is you have to send your licence with the application.

Spongy

19. maxi77

maxi77 Funster

Because I have a stent after a heart attack I had to do the exercise ECG not a pleasant experience but I am still waiting for my licence back despite sending it in in early March. The system is a mess. I did my medical with my GP who included sheets of print offs from my records so pretty clear no fiddling, yet I could have not told the truth and gone to a cheapo medical which would have found nothing. The system is farcical

20. namwaldog

namwaldog Funster

@Merle Thanks for your original post on this thread.
    Can I ask, did you have a GB photocard driving licence prior to your application? If you did, was entering your Passport number in Section 5 overleaf all you had to do in the Proof of Identity section?