Renewing with AIB - don't think so ... (1 Viewer)

Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
I have tried them, but they won't quote me unless I have house insurance with them.

We don't have house insurance with them but they insure my wife with her (our) car.
They are also going to insure our (my) motorhome this time.
Camping and Caravanning Club quote £589
Caravan Guard £357.50 and I have been with them for 4 years.
NFU £193.20
All were given the same information and requirements.

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
@AIBinsurance Nigel and Darren are fine, easy and pleasant to deal with but one of the ladies in the office is a drip (being polite here) and never gets anything right........ she even managed to miss me off the policy altogether even though I am the main driver! Darren sorted it for me.

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
Ours is due for renewal in a couple of weeks so I'm going to be doing the rounds to compare our renewal quote from CaravanGuard which seems a little high but it includes UK and EU breakdown cover so it may not be.

Safe to say I'm not going to be wasting my time ringing AIB. Don't care if they are 90% cheaper than anyone else I can't be doing with chasing them for documents or cancelling and starting again if the cover turns out to be not what they said it would be.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Truth be told all insurance companies and brokers are like that.

I listened recently to a interview with a member of the insurance industry explaining how they had received around a 1/4 million possible fraudulant proposal forms for insurance.

They did not explain what we as the public had done wrong to fill out a fraudulant proposal form.

But I suspect that it is something to do with the questions they now ask.

We were asked if we had any claims - fair enough we had, new windsreen and a 50/50 at a roundabout.

We had never been informed what they had decided or the cost of their decisions for repairs. Both claims were on the motorhome and Comfort only put the premium up under a fiver on renewal.

But on renewal for our cars we were asked how much each claim was. No idea so guessed a number.

So after the cooling off period we received a letter from the insurers stating that as we had not disclosed the correct costs for the claims they would be increasing the insurance cost by in Sandra's case £40 and that there is a £40 cancellation fee and in my case £160 which is around 50% of the original quote with a £46 cancellation fee.

These cost are never freely disclosed to us. They advise contact your previous insurer but with only 14 days to deal with this issue!!!

One hour 40 minutes on a premium phone line to sort out - There is nothing honest or moral about insurance companies :(

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
I got my reminder in from AIB on Thursday with my renewal price. I visited a couple of comparison sites and got a better price of around £18 . I called AIB and spoke to Leah and asked her if she could match the cheaper price.

She said she would have to call the underwriter but as the office was closed she would call me this morning @ 9.30.

At 10.30 I called her and she reported that the underwriter hadn't got back to her and she would chase them up.

She called me back within 5 minutes and MATCHED the lower price.

It also states on my renewal letter...Quote--- We require your specific instructions to enable us to renew your cover --unquote

Cover includes--
Camping equipment.
Extended foreign use
Personal accident
Onward travel
New for old replacement vehicle
Foreign travel
Shows, rallies and events
Windscreen cover

Excludes---- Driving other vehicles

All for £ 256.77 for the year.

A totally different experience for me and really happy with AIB service

May 5, 2014
Leicestershire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Beginners, got Doggy the van - March 2014
Shawn&emma, who did you take the insurance with?

Bailey58

LIFE MEMBER
Jun 23, 2010
Norfolk and Toftir.
Funster No
MH
Sold
Exp
July 2010 (ex tugger)
I've had no problems with AIB, Darren usually calls when renewal is imminent and is due to do so again next month when our third vehicle is due.

Nov 18, 2011
Planet Earth
Funster No
MH
A van
Exp
Over 25 year's
That's news to me Bill. ... where did you get that information?
When i tried to insure my van with them last year I used to insure with them no problems but moved for a few years went back to them for a quotation sorry sir we do not quote for campers and commercial vans
sorry
Unless something has changed since last august they will not take on new costumers for vans they will continue to insure existing existing costumers
don't know what a farmer with a new transit dose now
bill

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
I've got a ranger pickup and an ldv three and half ton pickup and a Motorhome and a tractor all with them

D

Deleted member 29692

Deleted User
I've just changed mine to Comfort. They've beaten CaravanGuard's renewal quote by nearly £500 :Eeek:

£292 including full UK and EU breakdown cover. I'm happy with that (y)

Oct 3, 2014
Llanelli, Wales
Funster No
MH
Rapido 891F A Class
Exp
Since 2014
Still waiting for AIB to return my call for a quote since Monday so renewed my Insurance with Comfort I did shop around with the best quote being from NFU for £232 but with no breakdown cover did shop around for breakdown cover but with everything added there was on £10 pound in it renewed at £312 with full UK and EU breakdown cover etc.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
Tried AIB but came out at £350 with no recovery and 10k milage limit & a euro time limit. Safeguard was £378 for unlimited everything with euro recovery and legal cover. Also tried C&CC, not quite sure about them, was with a company I had never heard of, so decided to stick with the big boys.

Last edited:
Dec 28, 2011
Stokesley, North Yorks
Funster No
MH
JoaCamp75Q by Pilote
Exp
Still learning since 2010
We don't have house insurance with them but they insure my wife with her (our) car.
They are also going to insure our (my) motorhome this time.
Camping and Caravanning Club quote £589
Caravan Guard £357.50 and I have been with them for 4 years.
NFU £193.20
All were given the same information and requirements.

After reading through the small print, it turns out the NFU don't offer breakdown/recovery to motorhomes, at least ones over 3.5t
So I looked at joining the RAC through C&CC, which we are members of.
The combined price would have been £80 cheaper than the Caravan Guard quote and would have covered breakdown/recovery.

A phone call to Caravan Guard and 5 minutes later I had £80 knocked off my renewal premium.
It pays to haggle.

Last edited:

The Dotties

Free Member
Jan 31, 2015
Gloucester
Funster No
MH
In between
Exp
Ex Newbie
Just got renewal quote from my present insurers, Safeguard, so trawled around to find better.
All I tried were helpful especially AIB, but went with Comfort, as they offered comp cover, full breakdown UK and europe, nine months in europe, and personal belongings up to 3k.
Came in at £363. Happy me.

Mar 29, 2011
Rugby UK
Funster No
MH
C Class RS
Exp
Just had a very painless renewal with Comfort, 47k Mho plus sat equipment with £200 excess, cost £292 plus heavy breakdown & recovery UK & Europe at £58, this is on a 5 tonner , one call and all documents e-mailed to me within 5 minutes, great price and service

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back