Renewing motorhome insurance. (1 Viewer)

Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Since 2009 with motorhomes several caravans then tents before that.
Our Motorhome insurance is due the middle of December.
We are presently with caravan-guard , same company that insured us when we had the caravan. £ 288 with European cover both driving which we thought was really good. We arnt bothered about the euro cover now though , as weve decided we prefer to do the 2 weeks at a time holiday , flying there.
Keeping the MH for weekends and British holidays touring.
Till we have more time on our hands , and arnt stuck to kids holidays .
We are also members or the caravan club and CCC.
Whats the best thing to do when renewing MH insurance?
I know its probably phoning one of the go compare , or similar , sites .

But who do most of you use , can anyone recommend some to us.

Thinking on , saga and any other age related schemes wont count as we both are under 50.
( for a couple more years , in my case , anyway:ROFLMAO:)
Thanks.

Gonewiththewind

Free Member
Sep 13, 2007
Lancashire
Funster No
Exp
July 2007
Wouldnt recomend SAGA even if you were over 50. Been with them over ten years and they have just sent my renewal notice and they want £500. 12 year old van, nothing fancy. Ive told them it can go where the sun dont shine.

Don

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks for the replies, sparse as they are:ROFLMAO:
Well i got a quote off Comfort and its a fair bit cheaper , but its without breakdown cover , adding about £50 extra on for that.
Ralph's going to check and see if it would be cheaper to add the MH on to the AA breakdown today.
It amazes me how much cheaper it is to insure the MH , than the caravan's we have had previously .
Even though the MH is worth alot more . Not complaining though :winky:

Weve got a while to check out a few more yet , before its due.
Trust our insurance to be due mid December, glad I've got all the Christmas pressies out of the way.
I dont know , its in one hand and out the other at the moment :Smile:

Feb 18, 2009
Guisborough North Yorkshi
Funster No
MH
Malibu T410
Exp
Since August 2008
Insurance

We had a quote from Comfort, like you said they are really cheap.
But they will not protect your no-claims.
And your motorhome is not insured whilst in any garage for service etc,
so that put us off.
Have you had a quote from the Caravan Club,they guarentee to beat your original quote by £25, we were with them last year, but we have changed to Saga as we needed European cover as well

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
Give IC Choice a call, they are a forum sponsor and gave me a good deal last year reducing my premiums significantley from my previous insurer.
Jim
:Smile:

OP
OP
Ralph-n-Bev
Nov 30, 2009
Pickering
Funster No
MH
PVC the PUG
Exp
Thanks for pointing that out Vera, i dont think Ralph had realised that. Its early days yet , we will check out CC as we have recently become members.

MrJinks

Free Member
Sep 1, 2008
Dorchester, Dorset
Funster No
MH
C Class RV
Exp
6 years
Wouldnt recomend SAGA even if you were over 50. Been with them over ten years and they have just sent my renewal notice and they want £500. 12 year old van, nothing fancy. Ive told them it can go where the sun dont shine.

Don

Shows you how these companies treat their loyal customers......My renewal with Saga after one year with them is only £310 including full Euro B/Down cover. Once you stay with them a couple of years they just dont care and start bumping it up. I find the same with my car. After 2-3 years with a company it jumps up so i get another quote from someone else that is usually lower than I was paying before.

I was paying £200 a year for car insurance in 1975...Still paying £200 a year now :whatthe: How does that work???

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I'm with Insurance Choice, referred to above. However, I might have been a bit hasty since I had a look on Go Compare or Confused.com but none of the offers quite met my requirements so I called IC and went with them. Then, within a few hours, a few companies from the sites mentioned above called me promising to beat any quote I'd been given. I did wish I hadn't been so hasty then.

Ivy

lorger

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2008
Dumfries
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sun 650MEG
Exp
Give Frank Pickles a try i have been with them 3 years and find them very good

Terry

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 27, 2007
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Can't remember ;)
Sureterm direct for us this year :thumb: by far the cheapest for the cover we wanted
Following my experience with the house cover :thumb: It may well be worth a call to Enterprise insurance co,plc, if you can find a number these look like they supply cover for sureterm :thumb:
terry

SpongeBobsDad

Free Member
Sep 23, 2008
north east uk
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
25 + yrs
renewing insurance

Have you tried safeguard have used them for years European breakdown cover in with the price. no weight restrictions have had to use this service a number of times over the years both here in the UK and also in europe with no complaints . I would definatly get a quote from them remember cheapest is not allways the best. good luck and safe and happy travels Ron .

Mixter

Free Member
Dec 2, 2009
Keighley, West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Now a year - cant believe it!
Apologies for dragging up an old thread, but our insurance is up for renewal soon. Our present insurer has stopped doing Motorhomes, so ive got a quote from the aforementioned Comfort, which is attractive at £200 (even less than our present premium). The 'downside' of apparently no garage insurance doesnt bother me, but can i ask if anyones had cause to claim from this company, and did they perform when push came to shove?

Ill just throw in that the dear old CC came in with a quote of £900! Ill not be renewing with them anymore, as theyve patently nothing to offer me.

Thanks - Mick.

peter marshall

Free Member
Mar 5, 2009
Cleveleys,Lancashire
Funster No
MH
Low Line
Exp
9 Years
Hi Ralph-Bev
I am Insured with Caravan Guard just renewed with them as you say full cover home and abroad, Cant you just take off the bit you don't need now ?, re the AA adding MH Cover, I am with The CC & CCC, if you have RAC the CCC will arrange your MH cover free of charge might save you some cash. Peter :thumb::thumb:

Dec 24, 2009
bedworth warks
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
2009 previously a tugger for thirty years
Can I just say that the point insurers are making by excluding cover whilst at a garage, is that a garage - a decent garage!! - should have its own Motor Trade cover to include customers vehicles. Now some may only have Road Risks in which case if the place burns down you have had it. But otherwise there is dual cover which can lead to terrible arguments - however the motorhome insurer doesn't see why he should be responsible when the vehicle is sat at a premises it knows nothing about, in a postcode that it may require higher rates for, and further they have no knowledge of the security there.

Really you need to check before leaving your beloved vehicle with someone if the place has Garage Risks cover for customers vehicles and if so, the single article limit.

Clare

Free Member
Dec 11, 2010
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
10 years
Mhome ins

Thanks for pointing that out Vera, i dont think Ralph had realised that. Its early days yet , we will check out CC as we have recently become members.

Hi Ralph and Bev
Have been a full timer on and off for over 10 years now and have always used Safeguard. I pay £311 for 2008 Chausson with full european cover etc. Never fancied any of the two big Clubs insurance, always been 100% satisfied with Safeguard and I have NEVER had to wait at the end of a phone in a queue or keep touching phone keypad to get to a person to speak to. When I downsized recently because I had been with then for a long time they waived the £25 admin fee for change of vehicle!!!! They came out joint top not so long ago in a Which report of motorhome insurers.
Happy motorhoming.
Maybe they could "knock off the european cover bit" and do you a good deal, worth an ask.
Regards
Clare:Smile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back