Renewing Auto Trail habitation led lighting (a cheaper alternative) Part 1

Discussion in 'Top Tips & Tricks' started by Stewart J, Oct 16, 2012.

1. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

This may be of interest or help as a much lower cost option to renewing failed AT led lighting strips. :thumb::thumb::thumb:

The LED lighting in the lounge of my 2010 Tracker started to fail when it was just over a year old, the led’s fail in groups of 3 and one side barely had half of them working. The price of a replacement 1 metre strip quoted by dealer was eye watering. AT have now replaced this “Labcraft” rigid type with flexible self adhesive strip.
    Photo 1 shows the Labcraft led strip after removal of the snap on diffuser
    Whilst at the Lincoln show I purchased 2 x I metre lengths of self adhesive led lighting from Aten lighting who kindly soldered +ve & -ve tails on for me.
    The original rigid light strips have a cross section of 12 x 10 mm and are fixed in place with adhesive tape, the decorative overhang to the overhead lockers meant the new light strips had to be fixed to a spacer of sorts or the overhang would restrict the light spread.
    I had some leftover white plastic snap together cable conduit measuring 12 x 10 mm which I cut into two 1 metre lengths which gave me the exact packing distance required. I carefully peeled off the old led strips leaving 90+ % of the adhesive tape still in situ under the lockers (removal of this adhesive strip is awkward and time consuming if going this route). Thinking it would have lost some of its power I drilled 3 equi spaced holes along the conduit and fixed it in place onto the adhesive tape.
    Photo 2 shows the conduit on left, new self adhesive led strip centre and old Labcraft led strip on the right. Electrical disconnection of the lights was very straightforward as AT have used standard spade type connectors
    Photo 3 shows a close up of the components with the conduit snap on cover removed and housing drilled for fixing screws.
    Photo 4 shows ends of conduit to left and old led light tom right as can be seen conduit is an exact match.
    Continued on next post as attachment allowance may be exceeded.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  2. Stewart J

Stewart J Funster

Auto Trail LED Lighting Part 2

Part 2

Photo 5 shows conduit fixed and screwed in place.

Photo 6 shows the new self adhesive led strip stuck in place on conduit cover with old unit alongside to left for comparison.

Photo 7 It is then a matter of snapping conduit cover into place feeding cable tails through and connecting up,

Photo 8 It all works!

The led lights work perfectly with the dimmer, we purchased the crisp white from Aten thinking (very rightly) they’d be excellent for reading and her ladyships Suduki , if anything they are to bright and if doing the job again I’d go for the softer led’s. In saying that they provide much better light than the originals, which is a bonus as we use the MH right through the winter.

The job is surprisingly straightforward and was completed in a short time. Pricing up the conduit and both led strips the entire installation cost a lot less than the price of one original AT supply Labcraft led unit. Further savings could be made purchasing self adhesive led lighting strip on Ebay my preference for Aten was based on their excellent reputation for top quality products.

Hope this has given anyone facing a similar situation some idea’s.
    ATB
    Stewart

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2012
    • Like Like x 2
  3. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

a trip to ebay will find you can buy a 5meter roll of led strip lighting for under £10 in a choice of colours. you can even buy compatible 12v dimmers and remote controls for very little money

add the name motorhome or boat etc to a product and the price rises for exactly the same item

4. robnchris

robnchris Funster

led lights

Excellent job and well done for sourcing the led strips, I buy 5 mtr rolls of the self adhesive warm light strip led`s, cut and solder the wires onto them to make up what lengths I need.

You have to cut them in combinations of three sets of LED`s and voila you have saved yourself a good few bob.:thumb:

5. PhilandMena

PhilandMena Funster