renewal time again---HELP!! advice please!!! (1 Viewer)

walmic

Free Member
Jun 15, 2010
bridlington
Funster No
MH
swift sundance
Exp
Hi everyone!!

our motorhome renewal is due in the next 2 weeks!

now, currently with the caravan club who insure through devitts insurance. renewal is £240 ish, which on the face of it is not too bad. HOWEVER, we spend alot of time abroad, so in the past have also taken out their european ( red pennant) breakdown cover, this year the quote is £240 ONTOP of the insurance.

got a quote from COMFORT insurance for £296-98 INCLUDING european breakdown, this is covered by RAC motorcaravan assist.

also got a quote from SAGA insurance for £262-60 INCLUDING european breakdown, this is covered by the AA motorhome assist.

NOW has anyone any info on either of these 2 , particularly the european breakdown , compared to the c/clu red pennant.

our van is a swift sundance 590rs ( with which we are delighted) and we are both in our 60's!!

Mar 26, 2009
Yr Wyddgrug
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678DL
Exp
Since 2009
Try Safeguard. They offer 365 days European insurance with breakdown cover for roughly the same price as the two you've quoted. Website here

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Sep 27, 2007
Shropshire based
Funster No
MH
Globecar
Exp
started in 2001
Does your rig fit within the weight and size restrictions of the nominated recovery organisations, if so, either, I understand RAC have a good reputation

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
Get AA European Breakdown

They were brilliant when we had a big problem last year. Sent the van back to UK on a transporter, gave us a large hire car, paid hotel expenses and even supplied a UK reg car at Calais to get us all the way home.

They wouldn't pay for a suitcase though!!!

Catherine

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
PS

We were with Safeguard and had their AA European option...

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
We use Saga, they are very good, I made a claim last year, no claims protected, very good, so no problem. I have euro cover but have not had to use it.
Prices were the best I could get.

JohnM

Free Member
Nov 8, 2008
Central Scotland
Funster No
MH
CClass
Exp
Since Feb 2009 and 40yrs c/vaning
I am with safeguard but renewal is due i two weeks thinking about going back with comfort for two reasons one is price and the other is service i had a problem with safeguard when i changed van on holiday .When i got back home there was a message left on my answerphone saying as i had not returned there calls they had cancelled my policy.I was not a happy bunny even after they appoligised.Would they have been so understanding if i had to make a claim i dont think so.
PS they did have my mobile no they used it to call me at dealers.:Angry:

motorhomer

Free Member
May 17, 2008
South Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
since 2005 (but 30 years caravanning)
Changed from Safeguard to Comfort last august mainly because their foreign deal was better.

Safeguard simply would not cover some places (eg morocco) for recovery. Comfort said if their recovery people could not do it we could pay ourselves, and claim it back from them later. And for us comfort was cheaper.

But one thing I worry about, comfort is a net policy, ie equiv to max no claims discount but there is in fact no no claims discount. This is fine when you are with Comfort but could it be a problem if you leave them?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back