Renault master Wheel bearing.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by jumar, Feb 22, 2016.

1. jumar

jumar Funster

Hi, I believe I have a rear wheel bearing problem, I have got a rumble come dull noise coming from the rear offside wheel.
    I have changed tyres around, but this has not helped, its still there.
    Is a DIY bearing replacement a possibility, any special tools required, anyone managed this. Ta.

2. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

If you jack it up you should be able to confirm the problem. If there is play at the rim - it's goosed. :cry:

My guess is it won't be a difficult job but perhaps best to hear from someone who knows first!

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

I don't know Renault specifically but most manufacturers are fitting a bearing comprising an outer bearing with an inner at either end. It's preset with no initial or subsequent adjustment necessary or possible - presumably to streamline assembly at the factory. What that means when replacement is needed is that the hub / bearing unit comes off the axle easily but removal of the bearing from the hub is difficult. If you cannot press it out using a vice and tubes you may need to take it to a workshop with a decent press. Non of which should put you off DiY - just buy the new bearing then you can confirm type.

• Like Like x 1
  4. Traveller_HA5_3DOM

Traveller_HA5_3DOM Read Only Funster

The noise should cease whilst you are driving round either a left or right hand sweeping bend. From that information you can determine which side it is on. I had to have one done one our Renault Master after visiting Morocco I think it was having to keep pulling off road for approaching taxis and buses.
    It is not a DIY job, the socket required to undo the wheel bearing shaft is massive, you need access to a press to push the old bearing out and then a socket or similar the same diameter of the new bearing to push it in square.
    My local garage charged about £90 to supply and fit it and having watched him do it I was more than happy to pay up and look very happy.

• Like Like x 2
  5. jumar

jumar Funster

Thanks for your replies, I have had change to verify that the bearing is shot, I got a fellow Funster to drive my van on the motorway whilst I did a quick tour around the vans interior. I think I will let the local garage sort it next week.