Renault Master Cigar Socket dead (1 Viewer)

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I have a 2007 Renault Master (57 plate) and I am having trouble with the cigar socket which I use to charge my Mio A201 Sat Nav and to power (via a cable take-off at the rear) my reversing camera.

The other day the socket went dead so (naturally) I decided to look at the fuses. I found the box OK, well hidden and almost inaccessible under dashboard near driver's knees.

I checked the obvious fuse (cigar lighter) and some other fully intending to check then all by taking them out and checking for broken links. I gave up after a while due to the difficulty I found getting them back into the box.

The photo below shows the layout of the fuses with the cigar lighter third from the top on the left hand side. This fuse is unbroken so I am at a loss.

Any ideas?

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
have you tried plugging something else in.....

there could be another fusebox somewhere.

same fusebox will be used on a variety of vans so it might not tally with the wording.

Tiderus

Free Member
May 2, 2008
Tywyn, West Wales
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Twelve years
Hi Oldun,
My mates had a new Discovery with intermitent flat battery trouble. 4 batteries and three alternators later, the cigar lighter was the trouble. Not the first time Iv'e heard of these playing up. Don't think they are engineered as good as they could be. Check the power supply at the fuse with a test meter, or battery and bulb. (Cheap enough). Then trace back either way. I had a loose cable on a nearly new M/H. recently. Cost me £45 at an auto engineers at telford. Well worth it as it was driving me potty. As soon as he looked at the problem he new what it was. Experience is a wonderfull thing, it sems so easy afterwards. It's might be a loose contact at the cigar end, if its burnt, replace with a more substancial one if poss. I'm always amazed how much power people pass through them. Had a small 12v kettle on once, and the wireing started to smoke. Never again, use the gaz now. Only an amature, but hope this helps.
Rgd's G.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Hi Oldun,
Had a small 12v kettle on once, and the wireing started to smoke. Never again, use the gaz now. Only an amature, but hope this helps.
Rgd's G.

must have been a very small kettle or a very big fuse.

you only get 120watts to 180watts depending on fuse size..(10a or 15a fuse) from a fag lighter socket.

if the wiring was smoking it was well overloaded and should have blown the fuse.

evans88

Free Member
Jul 8, 2008
South Devon
Funster No
MH
Hi Top
Exp
I had a problem recently with the horn on my car. I looked at the fuse and it seemed fine. I changed the fuse anyway and it worked. There must have been a break in it even though it was not visible. So try changing the fuse is my suggestion.

OP
OP
O

oldun

Free Member
Mar 23, 2008
St Neots
Funster No
MH
VW Campervan
Exp
Since 2001
I had a problem recently with the horn on my car. I looked at the fuse and it seemed fine. I changed the fuse anyway and it worked. There must have been a break in it even though it was not visible. So try changing the fuse is my suggestion.

It's amazing how the simple possible solution escapes you.

I took out the fuse once more and studied it carefully and yes it looked OK.

I replaced it with another and was amazed when the socket worked correctly.

I checked the apparently good fuse and it was duff.

Thanks evans88 and all the others who offered me good advice.

Where you abl

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Where you able to fi
I have a 2007 Renault Master (57 plate) and I am having trouble with the cigar socket which I use to charge my Mio A201 Sat Nav and to power (via a cable take-off at the rear) my reversing camera.

The other day the socket went dead so (naturally) I decided to look at the fuses. I found the box OK, well hidden and almost inaccessible under dashboard near driver's knees.

I checked the obvious fuse (cigar lighter) and some other fully intending to check then all by taking them out and checking for broken links. I gave up after a while due to the difficulty I found getting them back into the box.

The photo below shows the layout of the fuses with the cigar lighter third from the top on the left hand side. This fuse is unbroken so I am at a loss.

Any ideas?

Where you abl

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Where you able to fi

Any ideas?

Where you abl

Free Member
Aug 22, 2021
Funster No
MH
Where you able to fi
Hi where you able to find the problem?

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun