Removing insect screen on fridge vent (1 Viewer)

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
i have been told that removing the insect screen from the vents on my Dometic fridge can increase cooling by 25%. So, the questions are:

1) do you think that the statement is correct.

2) if yes, and bearing in mind that the equipment is sealed by Hymer from the habitation area, can you see any downsides in removing the screens.

Mike

Nov 4, 2011
Uk
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
I wouldn't think the likes of Hymer would fit the insect screens if they were not needed, so I would leave alone.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
For those of a nervous disposition, switch off/over now.

September 2004 me and SWMBO are on a rally in the caravan AT Seaview Int campsite, Cornwall.
Lovely day, sunny pleasant.

Came the time for bed. Fixed bed, no probs. Got between the sheets and switched off the light.

Bzzzzz. Switch light on find and kill one fly. Same again Bzzzz Switch light on, kill two flies.
and so it went on until I killed about ten flies.
I then opened the knife drawer cos Icould hear something in there.

The only thing I could describe the resultant action was like a scene from The Mummy. Flies flew out in Biblical proportions.
Me and her got dressed, sprayed the scene with half a can of fly spray and left the 'van and went home in the car.

The following day we returned and surveyed the scene. We hoovered up literally hundreds, if not thousands of flies.

On investigation we discovered that the flies had entered via the fridge vents. Other caravans were affected exactly the same.
We cured it by doing exactly what Hymer now provide, via a mesh obtained at Lidl

Would we voluntarily remove that mesh now.

What do you think???

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
For those of a nervous disposition, switch off/over now.

September 2004 me and SWMBO are on a rally in the caravan AT Seaview Int campsite, Cornwall.
Lovely day, sunny pleasant.

Came the time for bed. Fixed bed, no probs. Got between the sheets and switched off the light.

Bzzzzz. Switch light on find and kill one fly. Same again Bzzzz Switch light on, kill two flies.
and so it went on until I killed about ten flies.
I then opened the knife drawer cos Icould hear something in there.

The only thing I could describe the resultant action was like a scene from The Mummy. Flies flew out in Biblical proportions.
Me and her got dressed, sprayed the scene with half a can of fly spray and left the 'van and went home in the car.

The following day we returned and surveyed the scene. We hoovered up literally hundreds, if not thousands of flies.

On investigation we discovered that the flies had entered via the fridge vents. Other caravans were affected exactly the same.
We cured it by doing exactly what Hymer now provide, via a mesh obtained at Lidl

Would we voluntarily remove that mesh now.

What do you think???
I wouldnt bother too much about the flies.....but i would get the fridge properly sealed from the hab area.
If flies can get in then so can Carbon Monoxide.

A properly fitted fridge is hermetically sealed to the outside.

Techno

LIFE MEMBER
Deceased RIP
Jul 28, 2010
Leeds the one up North
Funster No
MH
Rapido 7090F 3 litre 160
Exp
May 2010
Yes it's not an insect screen but for flies that can hibernate in there or other airborne nasties.
When I bought my van and got it home I found what seemed like a million flies in the awning.
Been stored on a farm I believe

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
LOL many years ago my BIL built their first home, right on the side of the Clee Hills at Cornbrook. Lovely big place, however their bedroom was on the ground floor whereas the bathroom and the spare bedroom were upstairs.

Friends staying for the weekend, not long after they finally moved in. Friend goes up to the bathroom and comes straight back down and into the lounge. Martin - I haven't been - because the bathroom is full of flies. There can't be that many surely? Yes - there are.

So up go BIL and friend. Oh sheet. They had had flies 'nesting' in the roof void as he did the roof (it was a red hot summer and he did it more or less on his own) and they had bred. The council pest control people had to come out and finish sorting it. I wouldn't wish that on anyone .......

Jan 28, 2008
Dovercourt, Harwich, UK
Funster No
MH
Renalt burstner
Exp
7 years campers before that
i find it strange that they have mesh in them. as a profesional gas installer any vent with a fly screen isnt allowed on natural gas appliances as they can easily become blocked

Jul 21, 2011
Up’t North West
Funster No
MH
coach built
Exp
I have a 2015 Pilote with the Thretford large vents for the large fridge/freezer no mesh fitted and I could not pruchase any so made some.
On all small Thretford fridges and all my Dometic fridges before mesh screens were fitted as standard,
I think they are as important as the mesh over windows and doors.

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I wouldnt bother too much about the flies.....but i would get the fridge properly sealed from the hab area.
If flies can get in then so can Carbon Monoxide.

A properly fitted fridge is hermetically sealed to the outside.

Hi Pappa,

Whilst I understand what you are saying, the cutlery drawer on that model was above the fridge. Am I not right in saying that CO is heavier than air and would therefore sink to the floor where it would escape via the vents one of them being at floor level.

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
No fly screens on our vents (they are the large ones too) but when we were if France last year at about 38c our fridge was still working fine the Germans next to us had taken both vents off presumably to make theirs work better. If your vents clip off easily why not leave them alone and just take them off if it gets really hot and the fridge gets warm I bet it never happens or only for a couple of days a year.

GJH

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 20, 2007
Acklam, Teesside, originally Glossop
Funster No
MH
None, now sold
Exp
2006 to 2022
Am I not right in saying that CO is heavier than air and would therefore sink to the floor where it would escape via the vents one of them being at floor level.
I don't think so. Carbon Dioxide is heavier but Carbon Monoxide is lighter (which is why fixing alarms on ceilings works).

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
I don't think so. Carbon Dioxide is heavier but Carbon Monoxide is lighter (which is why fixing alarms on ceilings works).

Just checked and it's slightly lighter than air but apparently, it makes no discernable difference in reality.

That is unless it's KILLING YOU!!!

DBK

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 9, 2013
Plympton, Devon
Funster No
MH
PVC, Murvi Morocco
Exp
i find it strange that they have mesh in them. as a profesional gas installer any vent with a fly screen isnt allowed on natural gas appliances as they can easily become blocked
My vents have these flyscreens but I've always seen them as something for the air flow to cool the evaporator.

There are two much smaller vents below the fridge which are in the floor and these don't have any fine mesh, just a coarse grill to keep mice out I guess but these should always be able to provide air for the flame.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back