remove tent fabric around bed above cab hymer (1 Viewer)

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
can anyone please advise how to detach the tent fabric, around the cab bed in a Hymer, It looks dirty and stained Mrs would like to wash it. The bottom edge detached easily but top edge is a continous strip fixed to the main cab body. Any advice very much appreciated.
Thanks for reading

Loujess

Free Member
Jan 10, 2010
Leeds UK
Funster No
MH
none
Exp
I had a Hymer but I'm a bit confused. I don't understand what you mean by tent fabric around the cab bed. Do you mean the luton, the bed above the cab? We never had tent fabric.

Ivy

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
I had a Hymer but I'm a bit confused. I don't understand what you mean by tent fabric around the cab bed. Do you mean the luton, the bed above the cab? We never had tent fabric.

Ivy

the hymer we acquired 2 weeks ago got a double bed above the cab seats which drops down . When it is in the dropped position, there is fabric which encloses 3/4 of the bed (like a tent)

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Upvote 0
Mar 21, 2009
Harwich, Essex
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
4 years
Presume you mean the curtains that draw round to cover the windows?
If it is these then they are on curtain hooks and you just unhook them. If you mean the more solid fabric at each side I don't think these are detatchable?

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
Presume you mean the curtains that draw round to cover the windows?
If it is these then they are on curtain hooks and you just unhook them. If you mean the more solid fabric at each side I don't think these are detatchable?

we only refer to the frabic/netting which encloses the dorp down bed above cab seats, not the ones around windows

Upvote 0

John H

Free Member
Sep 2, 2009
Anglesey
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
3rd year
we only refer to the frabic/netting which encloses the dorp down bed above cab seats, not the ones around windows

If they can't be removed you could always ask your local car valeter to clean them in situ.

John

Upvote 0

JAY KAY

Free Member
Aug 22, 2007
Shotgate, Essex
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
15+
Hiya 1948
I assume you have taken the mattress out of the pull down bed, this will expose the screws that hold the "Turin shroud" to the base.
The top of the shroud is also held bt a series of scews which have plastic caps over them, the shroud can now be taken out for washing, a replacement from Hymer is as you can imagine is costly to say the least ours needed replacing so cruise control made a new one using cutain lining material and some knicker elastic works a treat.

John D

Upvote 0

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
Depends what year it is, but on ours, the bottom is held by plastic tracks that slot into a matching track - easier to see with the mattress removed. The tracks are not continuous but comprise a series of strategically located units. If I remember correctly, the top uses either a continuous track, which just pulls out, or screws - or possibly a combination of both. If you're still stuck, post again in the morning and I'll go and have a look - it's too late now.

Philip

p.s. ours is 2003 vintage.

Upvote 0

dragabed

Free Member
Apr 15, 2009
Funster No
http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/how-do-i/21361-remove-tent-fabric-around-bed-above-cab-

ours is as jay kay described took them out to wash more diff putting back in same screw holes

Upvote 0

JackieP

Free Member
Mar 10, 2010
Isle of Man
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I have an 1984 Hymer and once removed the fabric for cleaning. As other have said, the bottom screws are under the mattress and the top screws are revealed by removing the vinyl covered strip at the top and bottom of the bed. It is fiddly to get the screws back in at the top but it can be done.

I ended up doing away with the whole 'tent' thing. I made new curtains for our van and velcroed a plain valance around the front and sides of the bed. With the front curtains drawn, the whole bed is enclosed and, if you're lucky enough to be somewhere with no neighbours, it's lovely to lie in bed in the morning and see outside.

I don't know if you have that huge shelf thing over your bed, but I removed that too - made life a lot easier and gave us so much more room up there.

Upvote 0
OP
OP

Free Member
Dec 3, 2009
surrey
Funster No
MH
hymer A class
Exp
since 2010
lifted one end of the male plastic and pulled the whole thing out all in one go think putting it back after wash another question later thanks for all your replies

Upvote 0

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back