Remove swivel seat

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Gary217, Feb 8, 2016.

1. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Hi - a bit premature because I haven't fully investigated this part of the van myself but as the weather is horrible I thought I'd do the dry and warm investigation through here first.

Our van is based on a Transit Mk7 (2008) model and has swivel seats for both driver and passenger. In reality the drivers is a waste of time as it butts up against the settee so there's nowhere for your legs and the passenger does the swivel job well. As it makes the seat an inch or two higher and is of little use I'm thinking I'd like to remove the swivel and have a normal fixed seat.

My question is, is this easily doable, are they standard fitments that bolt in and out or is the whole base unique? I believe the main better is located under the seat - not sure if that's standard Transit or not as the handbrake is modded to be on the RH side so the seat swivels. I'd like the option of replacing the swivel too for when we sell the van.

Any advice gratefully received. Thanks!

2. Stealaway

Stealaway Funster

The swivel section is sandwiched between the base's. Very easy to install or remove - It's a doddle!
    The seat will be lowered by about an inch.

3. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Thanks - that's what I was hoping for! It will make the driving position better with no loss of 'parked-up' comfort

4. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Don't forget to flog the base on ebay, they're fetching around £50 and upwards (y)

5. John Laidler

John Laidler Funster

And don't set off the air bags!

6. ****

**** Read Only Funster

You can buy them new for 60 quid

I was told disconnect the battery half an hour before playing with anything to do with the air bags to defuse the system.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Air bags...eek...how would that happen?

8. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Under the seat there may be a sensor for the bag and seat belt. Best undo the multi plug if you have them just in case you burst the wires. On some occasions its been knows to set the bags off if you short the wires so best to kill the power (disconnect battery live)

9. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Thanks - mind you, I think the battery is under the seat so I might have to remove it to get to the battery. I will investigate very gingerly in a couple of days when I've got time and if it's not peeing down.

10. ****

**** Read Only Funster

Put your swivel pad in the shed. I will be looking for one later in the year when i get another seat.

11. andy63

andy63 Funster

You should be ok working with the seat... It's quite heavy so just have somewhere close you can put it while you remove the swivel base... your seat belt anchorage may be on the seat. (I moved mine on to the non moving plinth so belt wasn't moving with seat ) the pre tensioning device and wiring were on the inertia reel part of the belt in the door pillar..... so shouldn't be a problem..

12. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

I'll probably keep it so I have the option of putting it back on when I come to sell the van as it is a standard (if somewhat useless) fitting.

13. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Thanks Andy63 - I take it from your profile pic yours is a Mk7 Transit as well? You are right, the belt is attached to the seat. It'll probably be end of the week/early next week before I get chance to look at doing this.

14. Gary217

Gary217 Funster

Done today - much better driving position, it's surprising the difference just a couple of inches makes...
    Those swivels are darned heavy!