removable steering wheel

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by haganap, Sep 4, 2010.

1. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

hI all,
    Does any one have one fitted? or better still does anyone have one in the shed they would like to sell?

If you have one have you fitted it yourself and was it difficult?

would like to buy a used one at a keener price than Ebay.

TIA

Paul

2. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Removable steering wheel, left hand screw driver, rubber hammer for rubber nails, you name it , I haven't got it . Sorry, thought they were only on F1 cars :BigGrin::BigGrin:

3. DESCO

DESCO Read Only Funster

Hi Paul

Once looked into removable steering wheel as I thought them a good idea but hit problems with insurance.

Can't remember who I was with at the time, but they would not insure me with one.

Dave :thumb::thumb:

4. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

Helluva job on a bendy road :Rofl1:

5. ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo Read Only Funster

Sorry, I don't have one to sell you cheap but I have fitted two of them to previously owned vehicles.
    1st off: To be road legal, the thing must have a lock and key so that it can't be accidentally removed whilst in use. Most of the units I have seen have been for race cars and didn't comply with road use regs:Eek!:. When it dawns on my weakened brain what the make was that I used I will post it. Cost about 100 GBP a couple of years ago.
    The one on a beach buggy was dead easy to fit but the one on our old Talbot Express was a different matter. The problem was not the release mechanism but the boss for the top of the steering column splines.
    I got another steering wheel from a breakers and ground the boss out of it. Then got our local engineering company to turn up a flange, weld it to the boss and drill to take the quick release mechanism.
    Worked very well. Cost me about 50 GBP for the custom engineering bit. About 6 months later it did occur to me that I had the thing mounted upside down so that the lock and key came away with the wheel but it didn't matter.
    You will know that the thing will raise the steering wheel by about 35mm.
    Well worth the trouble IMHO.
    Patrick

6. Taran_Las

Taran_Las Funster

Does this affect the operation of your airbag? In which case your insurance may be affected. I know a lot of guys who have a Caterham fit Momo removeable steering wheels. These vehicles don't have airbags.

Phil

7. ArenqueRojo

ArenqueRojo Read Only Funster

Neither one of mine did either...
    but most steering wheel based airbags are, I think, self contained and so wouldn't be affected - horn is another thing that needs taking into account during fitting. On the Talbot we fitted another horn button on the dash and the MOT people were happy.
    A note of irony... the buggy was fitted with the removable steering wheel to keep the insurers happy - a theft deterent!

8. haganap

haganap Funster Life Member

Yes phil it does, but not many if any pre 2006 Ducattos have air bags/