Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

Is there any members that fly RC planes. I got into the hobby 3 months ago. Bought a E-Flite Apprentice with a 5 foot wing span. The instruction book said anyone can fly this plane. Well not me. Out once with it first time smashed into ground after 7 seconds of flight. Second go into tree 35 foot up in air. One large ladder and extending fishing rod later got plane back, and packed it away.

Bought 2 small planes from ebay £29 each and have been in park every time the wind has stopped blowing over the last 2 months. One is smashed but new bits in way second plane looking very battered but still flying. Been out for 2 one and a half hour stints to day and only hit one tree. It seems I am getting the knack. Have now bought second hand 6 foot wingspan powered glider only needs receiver which is on the way to get it to fly.

Is there any member in Kent that also fly. We may be able to meet and have a smashing crashing time, and a beer.

steve

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Iv not flown RC for years, but find a RC club close to you & get someone with a buddy box set up, might be cheaper in the long run, I smashed a few when I started!:whistle:(n)

eddie

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 4, 2007
Taunton Somerset
Funster No
MH
RV
Exp
since 1989
Hi.

Is there any members that fly RC planes. I got into the hobby 3 months ago. Bought a E-Flite Apprentice with a 5 foot wing span. The instruction book said anyone can fly this plane. Well not me. Out once with it first time smashed into ground after 7 seconds of flight. Second go into tree 35 foot up in air. One large ladder and extending fishing rod later got plane back, and packed it away.

Bought 2 small planes from ebay £29 each and have been in park every time the wind has stopped blowing over the last 2 months. One is smashed but new bits in way second plane looking very battered but still flying. Been out for 2 one and a half hour stints to day and only hit one tree. It seems I am getting the knack. Have now bought second hand 6 foot wingspan powered glider only needs receiver which is on the way to get it to fly.

Is there any member in Kent that also fly. We may be able to meet and have a smashing crashing time, and a beer.

steve
Ouch! I have several helicopters in various states of, well, busted lol

I feel your pain and your frustration

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Enword

Free Member
May 20, 2014
Devon
Funster No
MH
Coach Built
Exp
Race van conversion for years
Is Thanet club still going?

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
Ah yes, the box of broken RC plane bits on the top of the wardrobe, brings back childhood memories. (y)

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Try learning to glide a lot more exciting if you are in it (especially near the trees!!!!)

Mar 17, 2010
MANSFIELD
Funster No
MH
C CLASS
Exp
early 2010
Join the BMFA and get insurance. Look on their site and get lots of useful information. As for crashing I have been flying all sorts of models for 15 years and
still have the odd ooops! Check out local clubs on the BMFA site.

OP
OP
teensvan99

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Thanks for your replies so far.I did have a go on a simulator but not for me ended upside down every time.

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Perseverance and a decent club.

Plan to revisit my RC days after relocation to gods country (Wiltshire)

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I have a couple of el cheapo helicopters and a quadcopter inherited from my son, good fun (y)

MikeD

Free Member
Dec 21, 2011
London
Funster No
MH
IH PVC
Exp
Since 2012
Living near the Beacon at Dunstable I used to fly a slope soarer regulary. Loved it

Took up powered stuff, put finger through the prop at max throttle and the fun sort of went out of it

dave newell

Free Member
Oct 31, 2008
Telford, Shropshire
Funster No
MH
Home converted PVC
Exp
26yrs
Many years ago (late 70s) at a school open day there was a RC flying display. It was brilliant and the pilot was pulling all sorts of fancy stunts and wowing the crowds. Then all of a sudden in the middle of a fancy looping/rolling manouvre the plane just nosedived flat out straight down the chimney of the neighbouring primary school. Turned out there was also a RC car display scheduled for later that day and one of the car owners who was obviously using the same frequency had fired it up to test thinking that at the other side of the school he was far enough away. RC plane guy was very unimpressed.

D.

Lee Fryer

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 21, 2014
Eastleigh
Funster No
MH
Coach built CI Carioca 15
Exp
Since June 2012
Join a club and get insurance, people have been killed by RC aircraft and without insurance it could cost you a lot of money, plus it is more enjoyable with others and you will get all the help you need with flying, building, and repairing models I have been flying RC for 35 years and we all still crash, but it helps with others to determine the cause and help to avoid it the next time, I hope you persevere and get great enjoyment from it.
Lee

mick noe

Funster
Deceased RIP
Apr 14, 2009
near Boston Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
low line
Exp
best and only way is join a local club and they will get you flying in no time........(well i'm still hopeless, an age thing?:rolleyes:) your transmitter can be connected to another by buddy lead and hopefully save you fortunes in replacement planes. Be warned its addictive!(n)

RandallC

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 4, 2012
Devizes
Funster No
MH
A Class Rapido 8096
Exp
2012, prior too, 17 years Folding Camper & Caravan
Be warned can be expensive once you get the bug

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Would you attempt to fly a 100% scale aircraft without any tuition. :rolleyes:

Get yourself enrolled in your nearest club.
They will fly and trim your model to male sure its stable then give you hands on tuition for as long as it takes.

I learnt to fly circuits in around 2 weekends... them another day on take off and landing then the real fun begins.....pushing your abilities to the extreme over a few more months.
When you can fly inverted without think about which way to throw the sticks and flying knife edge in a straight line you have learnt to fly rc models...all it takes is time and patience.

Fletton

Free Member
Oct 19, 2014
Lincolnshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Knaus Sky I Plus 650LG
Exp
First MoHo - April 2015
Tut.... Remote!... You mean radio controlled....

Still got all the gear .. Tho probs on wrong frequency nowadays... And three models in the attic.. Hooligan 10cc RC, plan built jet thingy 45 ... 2m wing span scale (forget the name) thingy with an un run Super Tigre 25cc...

Such a shame...

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Many years ago (late 70s) at a school open day there was a RC flying display. It was brilliant and the pilot was pulling all sorts of fancy stunts and wowing the crowds. Then all of a sudden in the middle of a fancy looping/rolling manouvre the plane just nosedived flat out straight down the chimney of the neighbouring primary school. Turned out there was also a RC car display scheduled for later that day and one of the car owners who was obviously using the same frequency had fired it up to test thinking that at the other side of the school he was far enough away. RC plane guy was very unimpressed.

D.
We used the numbered peg system.....if the peg for your frequency wasnt on the pegboard you didnt turn on your tranny.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years
I'd get a controller that you can attach to a computer for sim training - cheaper than having to replace a crashed plane and you can "fly" in all conditions. I think that some will allow you to link to another controller who can take over if you get into trouble when flying for real.

Join a club and go to their training events; lots of people are willing to help.

Jun 2, 2010
Flintshire
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
since 2010
Things have moved on since my 'Frog' self build of balsa wood, paper and size.

OP
OP
teensvan99

teensvan99

Free Member
May 17, 2015
Margate
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
Both local clubs within 10 miles of me are not taking on new members. It could be down to insurance. Margate and surrounding area is a very poor area so not many clubs where money is involved. I shall just have to keep crashing and keep trying. I know it can cost a lot so I see it as the norm.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back