Remote central locking key fob only works intermittently

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by Stroppy Bird, Oct 12, 2015.

1. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Recently my key fob has started working intermittently.

My van is a 2010 ducato. The central locking works fine when using the buttons on the dash (both lock and unlock functions), but the remote fob just has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, typically more often it doesn't.

I've changed the battery in the fob for a new one but this hasn't made any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check - wires? relays? switches? contacts? etc. Or am I looking at having to purchase a mega expensive remote fob?:(

2. movan

movan Funster Life Member

If it is a Van Bitz alarm I would contact Peter. Mention you are a funster.

3. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

There's no alarm on it. It's simply the original remote central locking key fob that only works intermittently.

4. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Ooops sorry. My last van the alarm was connected to that and automatic. If you don't get an answer soon, it might be worth private messaging @Terry and him and Paul between them may be able to help you.

• Like Like x 1
  5. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Cheers movan. Weirdly my neighbour says his work van is the same but he just lives with it. I however am starting to get peed off with standing outside the van pressing the fob until something eventually happens.

• Like Like x 1
  6. bengie

bengie Funster

Try replacing just the key fob case. worked for me.E Bay enter Fiat Ducato key fob .

• Like Like x 1
  7. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Could be worth a try - I can however hear the 'click' when each of the buttons is pressed so don't think the inner gubbins are worn.

Was yours the same? Just working intermittently?

8. bengie

bengie Funster

Yes. Seemed to be that the plastic stud was not bearing down enough on the contact when pushed. try opening the fob and pushing the contact with your finger nail. If that works ok then worth replacing the fob case

• Like Like x 1
  9. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Try ANOTHER battery in the fob.
    Button cell batteries can be defective from new and replacing AGAIN should illiminate that.

• Like Like x 1
  10. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Hmm, have tried that and no change. Thanks for trying to help, back to the drawing board though.

11. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Have already done that. Tried a new battery from a supply that I already had, no difference. Bought a brand new branded one today and have tried that as well but no change.

• Like Like x 1
  12. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Does it only play up at home or anywhere? When I worked for Landrover, we had no end of trouble with remotes that would not work in certain places. If this is the case, the ariel from the receiver could be detached.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Thanks for replying. It plays up anywhere. Just got back from France and it played up wherever we were. It had started playing up before we went away but has progressively got worse.

I don't suppose you know where the receiver and aerial would be on a 2010 ducato?

14. Derbyshire wanderer

Derbyshire wanderer Funster Life Member

Sorry, I do not know where it is. It is worth asking Dave Newell for the location.

15. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

It's more likely to be the fob itself - they obviously have a fairly hard life. Take it apart & look for anything out of place. Assuming it looks OK lift the upper switch contacts & clean underneath each one with contact cleaner on a cocktail stick. Intermittency is often caused by just a tiny amount of dirt / corrosion.

• Like Like x 1
  16. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

there used to be a chap advertised reconditioning remotes on ebay. just had a look and cant see it now
    if the remote has been stripped down and cleaned with surgical spirit and you still get the same, it may be a dry solder joint. easy fix with a little knowledge and a soldering iron

• Like Like x 1
  17. SomeoneElse

SomeoneElse Funster

On my 2013 Boxer based MH the key fob failed and would only work very close to the passenger window or inside the vehicle.

The Peugeot dealer couldn't fix it but got it replaced under warranty. He took the details from the card that came with the vehicle, this is used to cut the actual key. When it arrived from Peugeot I took the MH in and he programed the fob.

18. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Hi all. I'm pretty sure that everything is clean (it looks it) but I'll give it a go with the cocktail stick under the switches. I can't see any solder joints that look off but I'll get a magnifying glass and have a better look. Mines a 2010 vehicle so well out of warranty for getting a replacement and no way am I paying £250 for a new remote fob. I would rather wire in a new central locking kit to the dash buttons for less than £20 and just have a separate fob.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

Well, I think I've exhausted everything that I can do so at some point I'll get to an auto electrician so that I can at least find out if it's the fob or the receiver. Thanks for all the suggestions.

• Like Like x 1
  20. TheBig1

TheBig1 Funster Life Member

• Like Like x 2