Remote central locking key fob only works intermittently (2 Viewers)

Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Recently my key fob has started working intermittently.

My van is a 2010 ducato. The central locking works fine when using the buttons on the dash (both lock and unlock functions), but the remote fob just has a mind of it's own. Sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, typically more often it doesn't.

I've changed the battery in the fob for a new one but this hasn't made any difference.

Does anyone have any ideas of what I can check - wires? relays? switches? contacts? etc. Or am I looking at having to purchase a mega expensive remote fob?:(

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
If it is a Van Bitz alarm I would contact Peter. Mention you are a funster.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
There's no alarm on it. It's simply the original remote central locking key fob that only works intermittently.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Ooops sorry. My last van the alarm was connected to that and automatic. If you don't get an answer soon, it might be worth private messaging @Terry and him and Paul between them may be able to help you.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Cheers movan. Weirdly my neighbour says his work van is the same but he just lives with it. I however am starting to get peed off with standing outside the van pressing the fob until something eventually happens.

bengie

Free Member
Feb 14, 2012
bournemouth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Try replacing just the key fob case. worked for me.E Bay enter Fiat Ducato key fob .

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Try replacing just the key fob case. worked for me.E Bay enter Fiat Ducato key fob .

Could be worth a try - I can however hear the 'click' when each of the buttons is pressed so don't think the inner gubbins are worn.

Was yours the same? Just working intermittently?

bengie

Free Member
Feb 14, 2012
bournemouth
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Yes. Seemed to be that the plastic stud was not bearing down enough on the contact when pushed. try opening the fob and pushing the contact with your finger nail. If that works ok then worth replacing the fob case

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Try ANOTHER battery in the fob.
Button cell batteries can be defective from new and replacing AGAIN should illiminate that.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Yes. Seemed to be that the plastic stud was not bearing down enough on the contact when pushed. try opening the fob and pushing the contact with your finger nail. If that works ok then worth replacing the fob case

Hmm, have tried that and no change. Thanks for trying to help, back to the drawing board though.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Try ANOTHER battery in the fob.
Button cell batteries can be defective from new and replacing AGAIN should illiminate that.

Have already done that. Tried a new battery from a supply that I already had, no difference. Bought a brand new branded one today and have tried that as well but no change.

Derbyshire wanderer

LIFE MEMBER
Mar 30, 2014
Derbyshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
15 years
Cheers movan. Weirdly my neighbour says his work van is the same but he just lives with it. I however am starting to get peed off with standing outside the van pressing the fob until something eventually happens.
Does it only play up at home or anywhere? When I worked for Landrover, we had no end of trouble with remotes that would not work in certain places. If this is the case, the ariel from the receiver could be detached.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Does it only play up at home or anywhere? When I worked for Landrover, we had no end of trouble with remotes that would not work in certain places. If this is the case, the ariel from the receiver could be detached.

Thanks for replying. It plays up anywhere. Just got back from France and it played up wherever we were. It had started playing up before we went away but has progressively got worse.

I don't suppose you know where the receiver and aerial would be on a 2010 ducato?

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
It's more likely to be the fob itself - they obviously have a fairly hard life. Take it apart & look for anything out of place. Assuming it looks OK lift the upper switch contacts & clean underneath each one with contact cleaner on a cocktail stick. Intermittency is often caused by just a tiny amount of dirt / corrosion.

TheBig1

LIFE MEMBER
Nov 27, 2011
Dorset
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
many many years! since I was a kid
there used to be a chap advertised reconditioning remotes on ebay. just had a look and cant see it now
if the remote has been stripped down and cleaned with surgical spirit and you still get the same, it may be a dry solder joint. easy fix with a little knowledge and a soldering iron

Apr 22, 2013
Cotswolds
Funster No
MH
Bailey Approach 625
Exp
Since 2011
On my 2013 Boxer based MH the key fob failed and would only work very close to the passenger window or inside the vehicle.

The Peugeot dealer couldn't fix it but got it replaced under warranty. He took the details from the card that came with the vehicle, this is used to cut the actual key. When it arrived from Peugeot I took the MH in and he programed the fob.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Hi all. I'm pretty sure that everything is clean (it looks it) but I'll give it a go with the cocktail stick under the switches. I can't see any solder joints that look off but I'll get a magnifying glass and have a better look. Mines a 2010 vehicle so well out of warranty for getting a replacement and no way am I paying £250 for a new remote fob. I would rather wire in a new central locking kit to the dash buttons for less than £20 and just have a separate fob.

OP
OP
Stroppy Bird
Mar 11, 2014
Lincs
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
Since 2010
Well, I think I've exhausted everything that I can do so at some point I'll get to an auto electrician so that I can at least find out if it's the fob or the receiver. Thanks for all the suggestions.

dabhand

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2014
Staffs
Funster No
MH
Concorde carver E35
Exp
Since 1993
Spray some WD40 on all the lock mechanisms, I know, I know, Ive read the OP,but recently had a similar problem and it worked!

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back