Remoska - one pot cooking, or not? (1 Viewer)

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
We recently bought the standard Remoska (and cook book) and, so far we have been pleased with its capability given the limited challenges that we have set it.

HOWEVER, a number of the recipes from the cook book require that, for example, sausages, onions, etc. should be browned in a frying pan before being added to the Remoska pan for further cooking.

This implies that the Remoska pan should not be treated as a conventional pan (i.e. should not be used on a gas/electric hob). If so, this seems an inherent weakness in the product.

Having searched the forum I can find no discussion on this point.

Do others use the pan on a normal hob for browning etc?

Cheers

Ian

Jan 25, 2013
Dorchester, Dorset, UK
Funster No
MH
Sad former owner
Exp
Since 1991
I wouldn't risk it as the pan section is fairly thin aluminium gauge and would probably warp or distort. I have cooked sausages etc. direct in the Ramoska without using a pan first and they came out perfectly. Heat + food = cooked I always thought!

OP
OP
bigtwin

bigtwin

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2009
Derby
Funster No
MH
Concorde
Exp
Since 2006
I'm tempted to find a proper pan that is the same diameter as the Remoska so that it could become a one pot cooking system!

Ian

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Apr 11, 2015
hull
Funster No
MH
Laika Ecovip 300
Exp
since 1988 with breaks until 2009
have had a remoska for 6 years, I always put my stuff straight into the HOT remoska pan. You are advised not to heat it empty so I either use a very little oil or some water which i pour away before giving the pan a quick wipe with kitchen paper. Have also used the pan a couple of times for reheating in the oven, but only a couple of times. Have never put it on the hob, but it looks very similar, material wise,, to my slow cooker insert which can go on the hob, so might be tempted. This is a Lakeland one, can't speak for the other ones.
Like it so much I now have another at home larger size, great for goose fat roasties at christmas, among other things.

Shrimp

Funster
May 27, 2015
Bedfordshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Hymer B584
Exp
Long time
I'm on my 3rd Remoska, they are 'one pot cooking'
For instance Toad in the Hole:
Put sausages in base of pan-dry-turn on Remoska, cook for roughly 20 mins, lift out sausages, there will be fat in pan from them, pour in batter replace sausages into pan & batter continue to cook for about 35 mins.
I also use the trivet either line it with foil or find a small baking tin to fit for items that don't need the whole pan.
I have never used the pan straight onto a flame.
The Remoska is definitely a 'one pot' it is very versatile, I have a small round tin I use and my cakes are all made in a small loose bottom cake tin in the base of the pan.
My favourite easy meal is chopped root veg & thick sliced courgettes in bottom of pan then Chicken thighs(trim off excess skin/all skin) put on top of veg, cook for about 50-60 mins, lift out cooked food, use gravy granules to thicken juices. You don't need to add water at beginning of cooking only at end if you want more gravy.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back