Remis Front Blinds Sticking Together

Discussion in 'The Beginner' started by MichaelT, Jul 29, 2016.

1. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Any tricks to get the front blinds apart. Seems like they magnetise together and are very hard to pull apart especially when its been hot (MH faces the sun). Closing them is no problem they click together but trying to prise them apart is impossible, tried to pull from the gap around the mirror, pulling the handles just seems to pull the handles off.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

2. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Ours does the same so hope you get an answer (y)

• Like Like x 1
  3. tonyidle

tonyidle Funster

Probably a daft question but ............... the handles don't lock together like the ones on my Hymer do they? The handles slide vertically a small amount & one locks into the other (as well as having the magnetic strip).

• Like Like x 1
  4. MikeD

MikeD Funster

Not on mine - just a magnet (y)

5. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

No there is magnetic tape on the edges that hold them together, the handles are just to pull them together and to lock the blind out of the way when not in use.

6. Wagoneer

Wagoneer Funster

Have you tried holding one handle whilst rotating the other in order to separate the magnets?

7. TerryL

TerryL Funster

Looks like there's something else sticky holding them together (clue in the hot sun exposure). Try cleaning the mating surfaces with some sticky stuff remover(but be careful not to remove the tape).

• Like Like x 1
  8. Graham and Jane

Graham and Jane Funster Life Member

On ours you have to press the handles together then the blinds will open when you release them.

9. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

That only results in the handle coming off in your hands...

10. beacons

beacons Funster

We were advised not to shut them when van not inUse as get brittle and fragile .ours are magnetic

• Funny Funny x 1
  11. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

We were not and we close them to stop the sun bleaching the seats. I have mailed Remus so will see what they advise.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  12. cronkle

cronkle Funster

As Graham and Jane said. You pinch the nearest bits of the handles together and the curved shape make the window side of the handle separate. (The bits with the magnet in that is.)

• Like Like x 1
  13. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Ah so it sort of rolls apart? We are going out in it later so will give it a try.

14. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Exactly the same has happened to ours (X290) when in sunlight, very difficult to open unfortunately I let the wife open them the other day :eek: and the Handel has come off
    We had the X250 (63) which according to the wife were a better quality blind and to open them you pinched the Handel together to open worked fine no probs, the new ones on ours seem to have a cut out where they go round the rear view mirror with a magnetic strip and when hot difficult to open, IMO not as good as the previous version
    Be interested to see if there's a solution and if there is one this is the place to find it

15. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

Nope that didn't work had to force them apart , both handles fell off and the magnetic strip started to come off one side. It was not that sunny or hot today either.

16. Gorse Hill

Gorse Hill Funster

Just had a look at mine been closed for about 5 days in the sun so fairly hard to open, however on closer inspection the thumb things you usual pull together to open don't actually do anything and are not connected to anything on the blind (wife had pulled it off last week ;)) so able to see they don't affect the opening in any way
    I found that by slightly pulling the two black connectors in the middle outwards (away from each other) and towards the window screen released the magnetic strip that runs the full length of the edge of the blind, your basically separating the magnetic strip by pulling them apart at an angle
    Difficult to explain, hope it makes sense

• Like Like x 1
  17. cronkle

cronkle Funster

In case it was my lousy description:
    IMG_0196.JPG IMG_0197.JPG IMG_0198.JPG

If the images show up it will be a first for me !!!

• Thanks Thanks x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  18. MichaelT

MichaelT Funster

19. cronkle

cronkle Funster

Hmm, perhaps the handle fixings have become damaged. I found out the hard way that the handles come off if they are pulled away from each other. It only happened once and I popped them together straight away so perhaps I didn't do too much damage. I then went on to discover that I couldn't get the blinds to stay closed if I held them as in the photos thereby discovering how to open mine. As Gorse Hill says you are separating the magnetic strip by pulling them apart at an angle.

20. Jamwitt

Jamwitt Funster Life Member

Got them in my van would only use if on an aire for the night if longer or when van on the drive always use silver screens not that impressed with them rattle like mad when driving ,give me my curtains back as I had in my previous van :(.bite the bullet and get a pair of silver screens no condensation and keep the van cooler and warmer (y)

• Like Like x 2