remapping is it worth it? (1 Viewer)

Aug 6, 2013
Kendal, Cumbria
Funster No
MH
Le-Voyageur RX958 Pl
Exp
since 1999
The mot requires anything fitted to the vehicle to work and to pass legal requirements ie a smoke test which is all a diesel requires ...if there's no cat fitted the exhaust doesn't leak and it passes the smoke test then it's legal and if simply failed by someone thinking it should have a cat it can be appealed

Many many cases of this on the vw t4 forum .....i doubt there's many vw vans in the UK these day that still have a cat and are standard bhp :)
I think the MoT requirements have changed very recently to include a visual check for a cat where one was originally fitted.

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I think the MoT requirements have changed very recently to include a visual check for a cat where one was originally fitted.
Well unless it was since June 18th it hasn't effected mine and as it's a full stainless steel system and it's passed it's first 2 mot tests with it the garage will have difficulty failing it now

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Well unless it was since June 18th it hasn't effected mine and as it's a full stainless steel system and it's passed it's first 2 mot tests with it the garage will have difficulty failing it now

Straight from the government website......

read it for yourself. No guarantee that yourself or other T4 owners will get away from it in the future. None of our vehicles are thus modified so we aren't bothered about it

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploa...ata/file/275427/mot-special-notice-1-2014.pdf

Item 1: Presence of Catalysts and Particulate Filters on Diesel Powered Vehicles

On 16 February 2014 Section 7.1 of the inspection manual will be amended to include a check for the presence of catalysts and particulate filters on diesel powered vehicles. Any vehicle where a catalytic converter or particulate filter is missing where one was fitted as standard will fail the test

tambo

Free Member
Jun 21, 2014
Dunfermline fife scotland
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
MH Since 2008, ex tugger and vw campers since 1992
I don't have a t4 anymore ...The car I have decatted is a 2009 passat

I've read the report but as I said it passed mot in June with the decatt ....

The mot has obviously been updated but as long as my car keeps passing with it fitted il continue to use it that way.

But this thread was enquiring about remapping not decating ...i just stated what I had done to mine ....i think therefore we should stop taking over the op's thread

I would still recommend remapping your vehicle it works and increases power and fuel consumption

Apr 12, 2010
Bury St Edmunds, West Suffolk
Funster No
MH
Weinsberg Cara
Exp
since 2007
I read this blog with interest because I have just bought a "chip" from Bluespark and fitted it to my Iveco 166bhp engine on my "Flair". It was a Bluespark PRO and cost £200. I road tested it today and was very pleased to notice the extra Torque, it already had enough MPH for this type of vehicle. Defininately improved the grunt uphills, yes there are a few in Suffolk, so it remains to be seen wether or not MPG improves. After our travels I will be more specific. Watch this space in a couple of months. It was dead easy to fit, the hard bit was getting to the common rail in the engine bay, but a good friend showed me.
Phil

Steve

LIFE MEMBER
May 8, 2013
Compton Berkshire
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
on and off for 40 years
I had my 2.8JTD done at Peterborough on a special for £149. Best money I've spent on the van. All the flat spots gone, less changing gear, much less noise and vibration, made it a real pleasure to drive. Did it improve my MPG, well between this year in France and last year, 1 mpg, so not worth it on that count.
The most surprising one for me is it goes up on the ramps so much easier than before (y)

I have a 2.8jtd on a 54 plate and agree with all the above apart from the price. £125 at my home.
Steve

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
WOW uprated my Transit at the Cheshire show a couple of years ago, and it has made a great difference to driveability, hill climbing ability, power to overtake safely etc etc. No clutch issues at all.

I would recommend it, and WOW.

SuperMike

Free Member
Apr 28, 2010
St Albans
Funster No
MH
Winnebago Sightseer
Exp
11yrs, but many years a tugger.
I hope you all you remapers and decaters, have told your insurance company. :whistle:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
And the guy who owned my 'van is in the cemetary,(and he ain't working there!!!)

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
have read all the above because I am due to have our 2.3 fiat 2006 remapped shortly and too be honest still not sure.
my son in law had his 2.5 2006 done a few years back and swore by it. I am booked in with AutoMate in 10 days time.
I expect I will cross my fingers although they have said try it for a few weeks and if you do not like it we will reverse it free of charge but they say they have never had to yet as all customers love. FINGERS CROSSED i think.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
have read all the above because I am due to have our 2.3 fiat 2006 remapped shortly and too be honest still not sure.
my son in law had his 2.5 2006 done a few years back and swore by it. I am booked in with AutoMate in 10 days time.
I expect I will cross my fingers although they have said try it for a few weeks and if you do not like it we will reverse it free of charge but they say they have never had to yet as all customers love. FINGERS CROSSED i think.
We had our old mh remapped
2.0hdi from 85 bhp upto 110
Transformed the van 100%
We did notice a bit a clutch slip as the van was 10 yrs old and still had the original clutch in it
Just make sure your clutch is in good condition before remapping

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Just recently installed a Performance Box Chip, alot cheaper than a remap, takes a minute to fit it, 10 different settings to choose from, 2yr warranty and boy has it transformed my MHs performance, it can be removed in less than a minute and is untraceable that it was ever fitted - dont think i could bring myself to pay hundreds for a remap.

MC 55 FUN

Free Member
Feb 18, 2016
Rural South West Wales.
Funster No
MH
2015 Majestic 195
Exp
Since 20th Feb' 2016
Beware the boxes that ride piggyback on the ECU as some only increase fuel supply which can lead to overfuelling with catastrophic results.

Also ensure the drivetrain can cope with the extra torque produced - many cannot.

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
good comments, being on the thick side why does the clutch get more damage/worn as I thought you needed to change gear less so there would be less clutch wear not more.

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
good comments, being on the thick side why does the clutch get more damage/worn as I thought you needed to change gear less so there would be less clutch wear not more.
Not a mechanic but this is my thought
A standard clutch is made to a cost
This clutch must be able to cope with a certain power to work
So to keep it within a costings say clutch A cost X £ and can cope with 100 bhp
Why would you put a clutch in that could cope with 200bhp but costs twice as much but the engine will only ever be factory produced with 100 bhp
It would never happen
So you have a 100bhp clutch a 90 bhp engine = happy mh
Remap comes along ups the bhp to 130bhp (a standard stage 1 decent remap give around 30-40 bhp)
Now a new clutch with hardly any wear on it would easily manage the extra power/torque
But a 10 yr old/damaged clutch would suffer thus giving clutch slip
Old clutch = remap and maybe upgrade in clutch

Paul and Kate

LIFE MEMBER
May 1, 2016
Stoke on trent
Funster No
MH
Auto sleeper Warwick
Exp
Since 2015
many thanks, it does seem more complicated than I thought. I think now it is a definite maybe!!!!
Please don't let someone talk you out of it
If your 100% confident in your clutch then get it done just don't do a cheapo chip/box they're generic to the engine
A proper remap takes data from the ecu about how the mh is driven then a map is written to suit the engine/your driving style

Reactions: f6c

Kool Kroozer

Free Member
Apr 19, 2014
Cannock Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Low Profile Hobby Premium
Exp
Always learning
Im pretty confident with the one i have purchased, another funster with the same van/engine has been running a tune box chip for a few yrs without any issues.

funflair

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 11, 2013
Guisborough
Funster No
MH
MORELO palace
Exp
since 2012
what is a drivetrain and how do you check that
The "drivetrain" is essentially the collection of parts that transmits the engine power to the wheels so clutch, gearbox, differential, drive shafts, most people would check this by getting a remap and seeing if anything breaks:LOL:. I had ours mapped, I argued that as we were running about 5.5 tonne and all up the chassis was rated up to 6.5 tonne max and then pull a 3.5 tonne trailer then a little bit more power used sensibly would be OK, and it is(y)

Martin

injebreck99

Free Member
Dec 5, 2011
norfolk
Funster No
MH
Low profile C Class
Exp
Since 1997
We are in the process of swapping our Bolero for an Autosleeper Broadaway with a 2.2 engine, I will certainly have this remapped when we get it next month, done properly, remapping is a win/win situation as far as I am concerned.

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
NO ... I would not now have a motorhome remapped ....

We had our Autocruise Augusta remapped soon after buying it ... I was already happy with the power of the 3Litre but had it done to improve fuel consuption, which it did by around 10% and flexibility.(y)

However,a couple of years later we had the usual x250 problem with the "throttle valve" corroding and the dealer reinstalled the original map, which I now understand they may do for many reasons.:doh:

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
well today is the day we have the van remapped which seems to be a bit like marmite. Anyway the firm said they would reverse it if we were not happy at anytime so we will give it a go.
thanks for all the comments.

May 31, 2015
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Ducato PVC
Exp
Getting Better
well today is the day we have the van remapped which seems to be a bit like marmite. Anyway the firm said they would reverse it if we were not happy at anytime so we will give it a go.
thanks for all the comments.

What base vehicle do you have, I'd be interested of your opinion in a few days....(y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back