Wow

Trader - Engine ReMapping
Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
If there is a dealer update and the tuned map is overwritten we remap the vehicle free of charge to the latest specification for the lifetime of the vehcile.
Its a relatively expensive service to offer/maintain on an individual job basis (i.e. being paid once to do the job twice), however we look at the whole picture which is around the 2% of total jobs and split the rework across the board.
You will find most of the decent tuning companies take the same approach.
:Smile:

Just a quick comment on this subject,

After the engine is remapped by WOW or any other firm, if the ECU is remapped again by FIAT for a fault, is the "WOW" remap removed/over-riden?.

If so, you could pay for a remap. a week later FIAT do a remap and the uprated ECU is lost.

Your views please everyone

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
we had our 2.8jtd done at the Peterborough show last year by WOW and noticed the difference in the engine pulling power straight away , not having to change down gears as much if at all , and i think worth the money the only thing we have not noticed is the fuel economy go up , i would have it done again if we changed the van:Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

pablomc

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 20, 2010
Durham
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2009
Might just pay a visit the Wow stand and the Lincoln show. :Smile:

chrisboyo

Free Member
Aug 5, 2009
Newport South Wales
Funster No
MH
Autosleepers Sussex Duo
Exp
5 + 30 years a tugger
Had our 2.8 Ducato WOWed last year
So smoooooth after and a joy to drive:thumb:

Happy Daze
Chrisboyo

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
It would be nice to meet you even if you don't buy from us, we have a very friendly show team and we're definately not pushy - not our style:Smile:

Might just pay a visit the Wow stand at the Lincoln show. :Smile:

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Just reading your post, its good weve given you the extra power:thumb: but I would have hoped you would be seeing better fuel, unless you driving you're racing it of course! If you're coming to Lincoln, I would be happy for one of our engineers to take a look at the vehicle free-of-charge and see if we can enhance it for you.:Smile:

we had our 2.8jtd done at the Peterborough show last year by WOW and noticed the difference in the engine pulling power straight away , not having to change down gears as much if at all , and i think worth the money the only thing we have not noticed is the fuel economy go up , i would have it done again if we changed the van:Smile:

haganap

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 5, 2007
planet earth
Funster No
MH
Niesman+Bischoff 79e
Exp
I'm an oldbie MH number 10
I have been watching this thread with great interest.
My last van was remapped, If you look through previous threads then I have answered many similar questions.

Buttons, you have been told :winky: its not illegal, never was and probably never will be.

As for the OP not telling his insurance company? well thats his choice but Im glad he now has, because what I was going to say is that I told mine and others have told theirs and I was not charged any extra or had anything change in my policy, so to not tell them would seem daft :Cool:

Warranty? this will I promise you be a different story if an issue arise's . Im sure it will not and with my van I increased the service intervals to alleviate a lot of what some of the scare mongers were saying. But its not invisible, as said Im sure it wont be a problem but invisible it isn't. However why any garage would want to check is beyond me unless there is a recurrent problem...

So I hope that clears that up but let me really say what I wanted to say....

Now Mr wow, im sure our friend here has his sums correct but I want to redress the balance. My van that I had done, was with out a doubt the best thing I done, It performed more like a refined sports car than a overloaded delivery van. But people be aware, when talking about increased MPG.
My van was recording 25 mpg prior to the map. it struggled uphills and was grossley overweight. Follwing a remap the economy improved slightly accept for one thing. I no longer needed to drive at 50-55 mph anymore, all of a sudden cruising at 65 -70 was easy, going up hills was a peace of pee and therefore this meant that because I was able to drive it faster, my economy actually went down not up in terms of my motorhoming experience.
Having said the above, I would still consider having it done to my current 2.8 if it does not tow the car well enough, because for sure it works. But check your not a boy racer first:Eeek::thumb:

Oct 29, 2008
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
PVC
Exp
since 2008
:swear: Not happy, I have actually wet myself ::bigsmile:::bigsmile:::bigsmile:

Do I win a free remap? I will be at Lincoln show with my large green and orange parrot, you cant miss me. Do you also do remaps for large parrots? The remap should be for economy, i.e stops her breaking my buttons, stops her eating furniture. I dont mind if it makes her fly faster and I promise I will tell her insurers about the modification.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Warranty? this will I promise you be a different story if an issue arise's ..

Indeed Paul, do you recall the blown Mercedes engine with a chip fitted ?

.. cost the owner 11,000 euro for a new engine.

Mercedes said it may have been a contributing factor and paid nothing toward the replacement engine.

I know remapping isn't a chip, but is it really undetectable ?
Surely the mapping can be looked at and in the event of a claim be used to void the warranty ?

Link Removed

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I quite agree with you, often a remap won't improve fuel as the distance over speed increases and often, like yourself people are happy with that.
I think of the remap as a tool (which we are confidently refining) that give the customer the opportunity to save fuel - my own 2.8 genuinley sees 28 to 31 whilst in holiday mode, but less if i'm wacking it to the shows.
This very reason is why we give such a long money back guarantee is to let people try it, see if they are happy with the improvements etc. If its not up to there expectations we much rather set it to standard, refund the money and remain friends - its a very rare occurence though!

I have been watching this thread with great interest.
My last van was remapped, If you look through previous threads then I have answered many similar questions.

Buttons, you have been told :winky: its not illegal, never was and probably never will be.

As for the OP not telling his insurance company? well thats his choice but Im glad he now has, because what I was going to say is that I told mine and others have told theirs and I was not charged any extra or had anything change in my policy, so to not tell them would seem daft :Cool:

Warranty? this will I promise you be a different story if an issue arise's . Im sure it will not and with my van I increased the service intervals to alleviate a lot of what some of the scare mongers were saying. But its not invisible, as said Im sure it wont be a problem but invisible it isn't. However why any garage would want to check is beyond me unless there is a recurrent problem...

So I hope that clears that up but let me really say what I wanted to say....

Now Mr wow, im sure our friend here has his sums correct but I want to redress the balance. My van that I had done, was with out a doubt the best thing I done, It performed more like a refined sports car than a overloaded delivery van. But people be aware, when talking about increased MPG.
My van was recording 25 mpg prior to the map. it struggled uphills and was grossley overweight. Follwing a remap the economy improved slightly accept for one thing. I no longer needed to drive at 50-55 mph anymore, all of a sudden cruising at 65 -70 was easy, going up hills was a peace of pee and therefore this meant that because I was able to drive it faster, my economy actually went down not up in terms of my motorhoming experience.
Having said the above, I would still consider having it done to my current 2.8 if it does not tow the car well enough, because for sure it works. But check your not a boy racer first:Eeek::thumb:

OP
OP
W18BLA

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Surely the mapping can be looked at and in the event of a claim be used to void the warranty ?

I is definatly not like a chip its like me giving you 2 tom tom files for your mobile phone for satnav and saying to you 1 is a original and one is hacked find the different files you would have to sit there and compare each file to find the difference would take a silly amount of time. yes it could be done but not easy. You would have to have both ECU files next to each other and compare as every vehicle has a different map in anyway you cant just take a map from any old 2.3mj Fiat... If i am wrong i am sure WOW will correct me. LOL. Hope this helps..

Wow

Sep 8, 2010
Charlestown, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
I'm happy to clear up the manufacturers knowing that a remap has been done or not.
Firstly, all the manufacturers scanner systems cannot detect the presence of a remap, this includes the Fiat interegator and the Mercdes star system.
Secondly, the only way they can find out is to remove the ECU and return it direct to the manufacturer for investigation.
As far as warranty goes, ultimately given where the manufacturer directly attributes a fault on a vehicle then an established remapping company will then underight the cost of the repair; we for instance maintain both a contigency fund and insurance policy to cover such eventuality, however unlikely it may ever be used.
Having owned a dealership the reality behind the scenes is that provided it does not cause a spefic problem, they simply dont care as the enjoyability of the vehicle is enhanced and happy customers make loyal customers :Smile:
Finally, the end result of remapping and chipping is exactly the same, one is programming through the diagnostic socket, the other is where a programmed chip is soldered into the ECU, which is where it can possibly go wrong, in unskilled hands.
::bigsmile:

Indeed Paul, do you recall the blown Mercedes engine with a chip fitted ?

.. cost the owner 11,000 euro for a new engine.

Mercedes said it may have been a contributing factor and paid nothing toward the replacement engine.

Link Removed

Aug 27, 2009
Hertfordshire
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
40 years

Thank you for the mention hagnap even though it was a misquote but I won’t harp on that or I’m sure you will draw my attention to your misunderstanding of my earlier post.:Smile:
Great result though that we now have a consensus to tell our insurers everything whether it be invisible or not.:thumb:

OP
OP
W18BLA

W18BLA

Funster
Oct 24, 2009
West Midlands
Funster No
MH
RollerTeam
Exp
Great result though that we now have a consensus to tell our insurers everything whether it be invisible or not.:thumb:

I wonder how many tell there insurance company about "Solar panels,Satelite Dish's,Awnings,Aircon,Stereo Change, all should be told but in these case i have mentioned they are visable. Would be intresting to find out how many don't tell there insurance.... I feel a thread coming on... :)

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
I wonder how many tell there insurance company about "Solar panels,Satelite Dish's,Awnings,Aircon,Stereo Change, all should be told but in these case i have mentioned they are visable. Would be intresting to find out how many don't tell there insurance.... I feel a thread coming on... :)

Here here, I must get out there and empty the non standard ashtray..

ShiftZZ

freelanderuk

Free Member
Sep 24, 2009
Saltfleet/Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Just reading your post, its good we've given you the extra power:thumb: but I would have hoped you would be seeing better fuel, unless you driving you're racing it of course! If you're coming to Lincoln, I would be happy for one of our engineers to take a look at the vehicle free-of-charge and see if we can enhance it for you.:Smile:

thanks for the offer to take a look at Lincoln, i would like to take up the offer as i will be there , i don't drive with a lead foot and try and keep the revs about the 2000rpm and very really go above 65, as mentioned i am extremely happy with the power side , when i calculate my mileage after i fill up i always seem to get about 24/25 mpg which is what i was getting before

dellwood33

Free Member
Apr 25, 2009
Newcastle
Funster No
MH
italian crap
Exp
too long
Here here, I must get out there and empty the non standard ashtray..

ShiftZZ

Just changed the water in the freshwater tank :RollEyes:
I will be seriously contemplating the WOW modification at Lincoln and my Insurance broker already tells me that this will not affect my policy. - Running overweight with a full tank of water may affect any claims however::bigsmile:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back