Reluctant husband

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by snailtrailer, Oct 19, 2012.

1. snailtrailer

snailtrailer Funster

Am I wrong to keep going on about getting a Motorhome? I tried to avoid talking about it today to give him a break but by lunchtime I was showing him this site and trying to prove we could afford it. He is not that enthusiastic.

• Like Like x 2
  2. rangitira

rangitira Funster

Oh dear oh dear, poor Snailtrailer, Lissen darling:Wink: 'es a Tugger, you got'a pander to his whims, JUST a little:BigGrin:

Then just before you drag him kicking and screaming, to view a few M/Hs , slip 'im a Blue , one of them "special!" Blue "rhomboid" Smartees!!!

He 'll have such a ??? once he sees 'em Well!!! He'll fink all 'is xmases 'as COME at once:RollEyes:

Failing that Darling? Buy your own :thumb: and don't let him in till he's given it an overall polish!:thumb:

3. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

If you really want him to buy a motorhome.....the last thing on earth you should be doing is showing him this site :Doh:.

• Like Like x 2
  4. icantremember

icantremember Funster

Just tell him it will be a motor home or a new husband you want for your 50th anniversary:hug:

Meanwhile :welcome: both of you.

5. Xan

Xan Read Only Funster

I was the same, but my missus got her wish. I thought (and still do) they're a money pit and if you worked out how much each trip actually cost you could travel wider and stay plusher.

Now we've got ours I think it's great. We are making a point of using it, and enjoying it.

• Like Like x 2
  6. yorkinmadoc

yorkinmadoc Read Only Funster

Welcome :thumb:

Motorhomes are..........

Money pit? Yes

Worth it? Yes

John

• Like Like x 2
  7. wizzer59

wizzer59 Funster

Tell him it'll be a waste of a tenner if you don't buy one:Wink::BigGrin: good luck and welcome:thumb:

8. Ralph-n-Bev

Ralph-n-Bev Funster

It took a lot of persuading on my part to get Ralph to swap from a caravan to a motorhome.
    Just like it did to swap from a tent to a caravan beforehand.
    On both occasions he says its the best thing he's ever done.:Wink:
    Wishes hed done it years ago. :BigGrin:
    But we would both go back to a caravan again if we had to. In fact id rather have a good caravan than some motorhomes ive seen.
    Welcome to the site BTW.

9. Johns_Cross_Motorhomes

Johns_Cross_Motorhomes Trader - Motorhome & Accessory Sales

• Like Like x 1
  10. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Believe it or not I too was against the idea when Shirl first suggested we buy one.

now I live and breath motorhoming.....now if only I could convince my boss I deserve far more time off than I get :RollEyes:

• Like Like x 1
  11. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

Now here we have a good honest dealer.

could so easily have said come and see us....but no, give another dealer a chance.

well done Peter, a credit to you mate. :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

You can take a horse to water........

13. Chris

Chris Funster Life Member

My brother asked me why we bought one.

I explained we like weekends away and instead of paying £120 a night in a hotel we would only be paying £15-20 a night.

He paused and then pointed out that it would take an awful lot of £120 a night hotels to cover what we had just paid on the motorhome.

He was right of course:Doh::BigGrin:

14. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

You don't say what his objections are.. Is it just money or perhaps something else ?

Married for 49 years .. congratulations .. so I'm guessing you're both in your seventies .. or there abouts ?

Maybe he just doesn't feel up to driving a large vehicle .. or any vehicle at all for that matter.. we all slow down, the older I get the less I feel like driving long distances, so maybe he just doesn't want to admit that.. male ego and all that ..

My advice is to discuss it and take his views into consideration to reach a consensus . Buying a motorhome isn't a step to be taken lightly nor one to coerce him into taking .. it would be a costly mistake to have it sit on the drive and go nowhere..

If funds permit, perhaps hire one for a few days or even a week.. after that you will both know whether it is for you .. or not..

Good luck whatever to decide..

• Like Like x 7
  15. Snowbird

Snowbird Funster Life Member

As you now see Snailtrailer, there is at least one sensible funster. Thank heavens Shifty is out of the country :Eeek:

• Like Like x 2
  16. sedge

sedge Funster

Well the initial outlay, yes. Loadamoney.

However - Tunnel with Tesco vouchers so that cost less than £20 cash the last time we invested with them and that trip I kept meticulous records of every cent we spent including meals out, but not food prepared in the van, because we have to buy food anyway at home so that wasn't an 'extra'. We went on 12th Aug and came back 12th Sept. Converted back to GBP using exactly what it said on the bank statement and using 1.23€ to the £1 for the rest, rounded up to the next £100, it came to £1,000.

Now a lot of the time, we spend weeks on end in France and never set foot in a camp site. That last one included 8 days/nights where we were on campsites.

We also went to a couple of places where we had to pay to get in - the Grotte des Demoiselles (caves) and somewhere else - oh yes the Cite Soutteraine - and also used toll roads when we just decided to get from A to B quickly, so not only does that cost the toll charge, it may use more diesel cos although you ain't in traffic and changing gear, we certainly don't hang around when we are doing that!

I reckon that's jolly good value for money, meself.

And if we hadn't bought the M/H, I expect Pete would have found summat else with wheels and an engine he couldn't live without, or found another expensive hobby he hasn't tried yet - judging by past record, he never plumps for eg fabricating the Palace of Westminster out of used matchsticks ! :Rofl1:

And at least I get included in this one ! :thumb:

• Like Like x 1
  17. MikeandCarolyn

MikeandCarolyn Read Only Funster

This trip will be 6 weeks by the time we get home next Thurs and we have been to Belgium,Luxembourg,Germany (Mosel/Rhine) and are now in northern France.
    We've stayed on a mixture of aires,Stellplatz (usually having to pay around €7 a night) and campsites.We've shopped a lot at Lidl which seems really cheap.
    It's looking as if we'll end up spending about €1500 in total,including a major shop in Auchan Boulogne next Wed before we leave.
    Being retired,we are both on a fixed income and we can't help noticing that our current account balances go up, rather than down,whilst we are away-there are no household running expenses which are always horrendous when we are at home !
    I can't think of any way we could visit all the places we do other than by Motor Home. When we both worked we spent a lot of time touring France by car,staying in hotels and Chambres D'hote-it was very expensive and we always HAD to come back for work!!
    I had a 'driving issue' a about 3 yrs ago,mainly because I was not driving enough! I began to have panic attacks on M/ways and really didn't want to drive any more-M/Homing soon cured me of that :)

Mike.

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi you say you had a caravan---well tell him that the difference between a M/H and caravan is you can be packed up and on your way within 2 mins IE move kettle into cupboard,stow odds and ends, turn fridge over and unplug/drive away :BigGrin: If you do not go too big then you can use it just like a large towing car to visit places,and you have the advantage that you have everything with you -cooker loo beds etc, so can make use of all without having to go back to caravan :Wink: Remember that layout is everything so choose wisely :thumb:
    terry

19. gypsylady

gypsylady Read Only Funster

AND.... On the journey, it is so easy to stop in a layby and stick the kettle on.

We dont have a Motorhome. We have a 'dog kennel on wheels'. They have loads of room and comfort when travelling instead of being confined to the boot of a car.

The choice between a Motorhome or staying with a Caravan is purely personal.

Each has it's own benefits, they are just 2 different ways of enjoying a little freedom.

Whichever way you go, will be right for you both.

20. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

As above........

Cheap holiday - nope
    Money pit - yep, but buy smartly and the depreciation isn't over painful
    Flexible - yes, unless you have a monster van
    Fun - worth every penny. I use it for sailing meetings towing the dinghy and pity the poor souls who have to drive miles to the B&B or pitch a tent in the dinghy park, whilst we are toasty warm, we go away and meet mostly really nice like minded people. Next step up is the winter meet at Waldegraves, only a short distance but looking forward to meeting with other Funsters

It is a lifestyle thing - we could have had a fair number of luxury holidays for the money (luckily we do that as well) but have never, ever regretted buying one.

Some of our friends from down the road retired, changed their VW Trooper for a small Hymer A class and spend half their lives relatively cheaply touring everywhere - looking at it that way, it is a relatively cheap way for seeing Europe/UK, after the capital cost has been conveniently ignored.........

P.S. allegedly I clean M/H roofs by painting them - thus the signature below....... :Wink: the offbeat (being polite here) humour is a huge attraction of this site - you always know when someone is being serious, but frequently things are very tongue in cheek - it takes a little adjustment but some of the threads are hugely funny

Last edited: Oct 20, 2012
    • Like Like x 2