Relative Newbie going to Europe soon

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by RogueStorm, Jan 8, 2015.

1. RogueStorm

RogueStorm Read Only Funster

Hi, my wife and I have planned a campervan trip for as long I can remember but one thing or another got in the way. Sadly, my wife, aged 49, had a stroke three years ago and is now in a wheelchair and again we had to put it on hold. Last year, however, we bought an aging (2000) Peugeot Boxer Coach Built camper van that ticked a number of boxes and met our needs. (40k (miles not price!)). From East Sussex, we took it to the Lake District, Scotland, Lincoln and Norfolk as a trial run last September and it seemed to go OK with no major problems concerning my wife's disability . This year we, myself, my wife and our boxer dog, plan to be a bit more adventurous. In early March we are taking the ferry from Newhaven to Dieppe, travelling down the left side of France, into Spain, Portugal, back to Spain, along the south coast of France, left side of Italy to Taranto and up the right side. Although we have planned to go from there through Switzerland, Germany and the lowlands I'm having second thoughts and the sun of the Mediterranean in May is drawing me back the way we came. My wife doesn't like to sit still for long but when she does, she likes to be warm. I know there is some fantastic scenery in the middle of Europe but feel that we could always do that another year. We're planning to travel using Aires and Acsi sites on a two days (nights) on the road and three nights at a site to use the washing machines. Any comments and/or advice extremely welcome.

• Like Like x 5
  2. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

Hi and welcome to the forum good luck to you on your travels I'm sure you will both enjoy the experience. France is a superb country for a motorhomer. The aires are excellent often with free electric. If you have some solar power you may not need a site at all as handwashed clothes dry overnight.

3. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster Life Member

Looks like the stock newbie route, many times longer than makes for a good holiday/adventure, though you don't say how long you are going for. Be very flexible and if you like a place tear up the 3 day plan.

France/Spain/Portugal is more than enough for trip one. You don't want to end up with "never again".

March is still cold, I'd suggest quick down to Spain where it will be nice then amble back following the warmth.

• Like Like x 2
  4. Jim

Jim Ringleader

Hi and welcome, we have plenty of wheelchair bound Funsters who have found that motorhome touring is ideal. We even have a some members in wheelchairs who manage to travel alone, (although we don't want to start giving your wife ideas:)) I would say that if the weather is warm enough, don't be too quick to leave France. The whole country is superb for touring and a lifetime isn't long enough to enjoy it all. But if the weather is bad and your chasing the sun, use the autoroutes and get down to Spain quickly, then you can take your time coming back as the weather warms. Have a great trip, and do log in regularly and keep us posted (y)

• Like Like x 3
  5. RogueStorm

Sorry, meant to put duration. Three months should do it, probably just less getting back late May. This of course depends on whether my wife can put up with me in the confines of 'the box' for such a long time.

Thanks for the comments.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Jonkil

Jonkil Funster

Well done to you both.
    Most of all, chill, take your time and enjoy.
    France is beautiful, and as someone here said..... Don't plan to be anywhere at a specified time, if you like a place then tear up any plans, chill out and enjoy the area and spend time there.

• Like Like x 1
  7. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

Hope you will have a brilliant time in France. You could join the "Twin lakes"rally in May in France .

Sorry my post went away within a second .... Just editing now LOL

Amicalement

Frankie:)

• Like Like x 2
  8. Pikeman

Pikeman Funster

Good luck to you, my only advice for novices such as yourselves is don't beat yourself up with an itinerary. Start your route, but don't expect to fulfill it. Take a lap-top or tablet and use wi-fi to find the sunshine. Try; www.meteofrance.com, when the weather doesn't suite. Keith :cool:

• Like Like x 1
  9. Shazrick

Shazrick Funster

:welc: Have great time take your time and enjoy

• Like Like x 1
  10. RogueStorm

Damn! No itinerary? I'm ex forces so a stickler for schedules and keeping to them. I've mapped out every 'T' junction between Dieppe and Taranto (and back). I even know the names of all of the shepherds in the Pyrenees I'm likely to run into, figuratively speaking. I guess I'm going to have to back off a little.

On a lighter note, we don't have a set route other than we've agreed to meet up with some people in the South of France, Bordeaux region, South of Spain, Mercia and again in France, Carcassonne.

We're also hoping to meet the guy that lives about 100 yards down the road, he's going travelling next week, at a place called 'The Chicken Run' on The Algarve. Anyone heard of it? Is it any good?

• Like Like x 4
  11. Parcverger

Parcverger Funster - Campsite Owner

You've seen it several times above - don't rush through France unless the weather is adverse! It is a beautiful country, and so big - take small bites at the travel, and enjoy the stopovers. If you want to meet Funsters you'll normally find some here at Parc Verger, not far from Limoges, so you would be in easy reach of Bordeaux as well as all points south. Chateau Munchie could well be occupied by the time you get here, and that would be a real treat for you both!

Wherever you go enjoy the journey, and take it easy.
    Bob
    www.parcverger.com

• Like Like x 3
  12. Hollyberry

Hollyberry Funster

Hi and :welc:

Your plans sound great. Relax and enjoy, go where you feel like going. Enjoy your adventure.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Munchie

Munchie Funster Life Member

Wot a nice thing to say! Thank you!!!
    Bugger! Meant to quote your post Bob!

• Like Like x 1
  14. Momo

Momo Funster

Hi Mr & Mrs RogueStorm and welcome to the Fun!(y):welc:

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tincataylor

Tincataylor Funster

Hi and a warm welcome!!! We left the homeland on 14 Dec and took the boat straight to Bilbao as we also chased the sun. We are now down as far as the mountains behind Benidorm having stayed 2/3 nights in various ACSI sites and "areas" as they are called here. Weather has been superb and we are planning to carry on down south, up through Portugal and along Northern Spain to return early March. Again as said before try not to have too many fixed plans, when you find somewhere you like you can stay a bit longer to enjoy the sun and company.
    Enjoy preparing and the trip - keep in touch.
    Tincas on Tour :whistle:

• Like Like x 1
  16. RogueStorm

Ah! The user name. My dogs' names were Rogue and Storm, from the X-Men, Rogue being the mum, sadly passed away now. We still have Storm who will be travelling with us.

My name is Steve, fairly simple, (the name not me though that's debatable). My wife's name is Nemone (Nem Oh Knee), Nem for short.

Looking forward to getting away.

17. RogueStorm

Have seen the 'Twin Lakes' looks good for our return trip but still not sure of plan yet, would be the last week if at all but worth a shout. Very close to Nailhac where my cousin lives. Already planned a visit there for early March and early April (Easter).

• Like Like x 1
  18. Puddleduck

Puddleduck Funster

welcome.jpg

Have a great time.

Just one other thing, pay your subscription and get o see all the site AND be able to get the Funsters discounts. You'll save your tenner many times over.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tombo

Tombo

As others have said just play it by ear and try and spend as much time as poss in the sun. You can then spend as plenty of time outside and not cooped up in the van.
    If you like somewhere stay, if you don't move. No firm plans or itineries are the order of the day.
    Good luck and enjoy.