relationships and camping ...... (2 Viewers)

Twogirls

Free Member
Mar 21, 2016
ESSEX
Funster No
MH
Elddis Autoquest 300
Exp
Since 2014
We've survived our first 5 weeks in our small MH on our winter tour with another 7 weeks still to go. Yes, it's different to living in a house with space to get away from each other, or being at work and having time apart, but ultimately if you both want the same things in life you'll make it work. When you realise you want different things maybe it's time to go your separate ways. I wouldn't want to be having this adventure with anyone else.
Edit: OH dictated that last bit :whistle:

appydaze

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 12, 2009
southend on sea essex
Funster No
MH
Merc high top
Exp
20 years
I've just realized why my ex wife only wanted me to have relations with her back to me....... I thought it was we had a small van...... I have now come to the conclusion it was because she hated to see me enjoy myself................................. cow :Eeek:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
snowdrops

snowdrops

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 15, 2013
Wales
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
2 years
I don't think it's just camping, friends of ours went to the Maldives for their 25 wedding anniversary....she came back asking for a divorce saying 2 weeks on a small idyllic island made her realise they had nothing to say to each other :Eeek: and it was game over!
:eek: .... mind you, I went out with someone for about 3 months and he took the place of a friend who cldnt make a cruise. Cruise was a week, I dumped him at day 4 !! What seemed like a massive ship became very small !

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I've just realized why my ex wife only wanted me to have relations with her back to me....... I thought it was we had a small van...... I have now come to the conclusion it was because she hated to see me enjoy myself................................. cow :Eeek:

You grin while performing ?? :clap2::clap2:

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
When we are away everything is new and exciting giving us much more to talk about and discuss than when at home when much of the time is spent in very familiar places with familiar people doing the routine chores most of the time with less to chat about as a result. We like to go away for about a month at a time at most as my wife won't leave the grandkids for longer plus some long weekends. We both enjoy reading, using iPads and don't use TV abroad. We also play cards together or solitaire or freecell etc.

Having been retired for 3 years my wife had a shock when I was suddenly at home most of the time apart from when off clay or target shooting which are my sports. We go out a lot together and we each have friends to see on our own from time to time. We also have grandchildren from both kids to either babysit or child mind and I am treasurer of 5 organisations plus do all the family finances so that needs some quiet time on my own. I am currently helping my son buy a pharmacy so will soon be back doing accounting, bookkeeping, VAT returns and PAYE etc!

As most say, I wonder when I ever had time to work!

My number 2 at work has recently retired and when I last saw him he wanted to go back to work as he felt redundant at home with his wife not wanting to relinquish any domestic chores or cooking duties! You need hobbies, chores and sport and obviously some money to help enjoy them all.

Last edited:
Sep 14, 2009
uffculm mid devon
Funster No
MH
swift royale 59
Exp
Never go to sleep on an argument. I learnt that years ago. "Sorry," is only four letters, but can be the hardest word to say especially in a van and even more especially when you're in the wrong and won't admit it. I've been there and there is nothing to beat the healing of a hurt relationship.
No its not its five!

Jan 2, 2017
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise Starspirit
Exp
7 years
We've always said that the reason we had 4 children was mainly the size of the van bed, tiny, and the fact we had to keep on having to say sorry, resulting in another baby.
We've stopped saying s..............er, apologising, just in case!

PP Bear

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 5, 2013
Kent, UK
Funster No
MH
Auto Trail Dakota SE
Exp
My last SWMBO loved going away in the motorhome and couldn't get enough of it. We split after a numb of reasons and eventually I moved on, however my new SWMBO kind of puts up with going away, doesn't enjoy it at all and does it as she knows how much I enjoy it, but that atmosphere in such a small space can be quite unbearable. Don't think we've shared the fixed bed for months, with me making up the single to sleep on....watch this space:)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
We love being away in the van.
As we have very different idea of what constitutes a good evenings television, when at home we are usually sitting in different rooms and only really 'meet' when one of us makes a cuppa.
When away, one tv, one room, so we either find something we both want to watch or do something else completely..

To be absolutely frank, we were drifting further and further apart ( nothing acrimonious simply different lives ) until we started motor homing..
We are closer now than we have been for donkeys years !

JJ

Mágica
May 1, 2008
Quinta Majay, Pinheiro Bordalo, Portugal
Funster No
MH
Burstner Privilege T
Exp
over 50 years
My Princess and I LOVE being on the road together, slowly meandering here and there... and we never get in each other's way.

We have the perfect system.

We each go in our own vans. (y)

20160817_175738.jpg

JJ :cool:

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
My Princess and I LOVE being on the road together, slowly meandering here and there... and we never get in each other's way.

We have the perfect system.

We each go in our own vans. (y)

View attachment 141340

JJ :cool:

I love that :LOL: I do think more marriages would go the distance if couples had separate houses. Having said that we've been together 40 odd years.....I'm very tolerant BTW :D:D

MillieMoocher

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 18, 2015
West Yorkshire
Funster No
MH
Autosleeper Kingham
Exp
40 years under canvas: Motorhome 2016 To 2020
Biggest source of contention between Swmbo and I when we are away is when it's time to come home...

I always want to squeeze "just another night" whereas after a month away she wants to do things like was the dogs bedding which she claims is harder to do when away than at home. In fairness, many commercial machines on sites do prohibit the washing of pet bedding.

But I'd just put up with the smell (from dogs not Swmbo :D2) and stay away longer

Puddleduck

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 15, 2014
Scottish Borders
Funster No
MH
Without at present
Exp
On and off for many years.
You need hobbies, chores and sport and obviously some money to help enjoy them all.

I totally agree!! You need to have a "busy mind" and to do things that you always promised you would when you had more time.

It is good to have joint interests but also important to have things that you do as an individual. I have seen so many widowed survivors of a devoted couple go to pieces as everything they did they did together. :cry::cry::cry: That doesn't mean you don't discuss your non-shared interests or go to shows, exhibitions and the like together. I do go to model engineering shows (although he doesn't often come to textile art shows) and we approach problems differently so can sometimes see a solutions the other doesn't.

I do get annoyed when my tools and equipment go missing though :)

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
My wife like the motorhome but has no interest in anything we see, or pass, or a view, nothing. I've actually driven from the Uk to home here in Spain & had more conversation when paying for fuel.:D

We actually converse more when she is away.lol

May 21, 2008
Oxford
Funster No
MH
WildAx Constellation
Exp
Since 2008
I love that :LOL: I do think more marriages would go the distance if couples had separate houses. Having said that we've been together 40 odd years.....I'm very tolerant BTW :D:D
We live in separate houses and even in different cities, (but not different countries JJ!) and it works well!! We both love the van and enjoy longish trips, this year we will do 2 months in the autumn. That should be a good test.

Clive

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 30, 2012
Canvey Island
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Never go to sleep on an argument. I learnt that years ago. "Sorry," is only four letters, but can be the hardest word to say especially in a van and even more especially when you're in the wrong and won't admit it. I've been there and there is nothing to beat the healing of a hurt relationship.
No stay awake and plot your revenge :rolleyes:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back