Relating to bikes but Severe motorhome implications (1 Viewer)

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Bennetts have recently rejected an accident claim on the grounds the motorcycle had been modified

The modification in question was a stick on tank pad to protect the tank paint from zipper damage

They are currently back peddling fast but I and a great deal more dealers have currently thrown all the Bennetts dealer cards and literature in the bin
We are hearing from LOTS of other people who have fallen foul of this sort of scam ( for that is what it is ) so this is far from a one off

Bennets are quite obviously little short of nasty small time scammers ..

So what has this got to do with motorhomes ?

Simple..

I am willing to bet there is not ONE motorhome more than a few weeks old that has not been 'modified'
The lists of modifications mentioned which Bennetts claim are tuning aids include stickers ( !!!! ), tyres filters ( so got instance if you have a Fiat, take it in for service and have a non original air filter fitted ) and numerous other bits and pieces.
In the above example, a replacement air filter, you may find that your insurance company will not pay out if you do not mention, at the time of applying for the policy, you have a none standard air filter fitted

As a by the by, how many on here have a Funster sticker ( or even a dealership sticker ! ) displayed ?

Well if you insured through one of the Bennetts subsidiary brokers you could well not be insured .. Be careful out there folks !!!

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
Bennetts have recently rejected an accident claim on the grounds the motorcycle had been modified

The modification in question was a stick on tank pad to protect the tank paint from zipper damage

They are currently back peddling fast but I and a great deal more dealers have currently thrown all the Bennetts dealer cards and literature in the bin
We are hearing from LOTS of other people who have fallen foul of this sort of scam ( for that is what it is ) so this is far from a one off

Bennets are quite obviously little short of nasty small time scammers ..

So what has this got to do with motorhomes ?

Simple..

I am willing to bet there is not ONE motorhome more than a few weeks old that has not been 'modified'
The lists of modifications mentioned which Bennetts claim are tuning aids include stickers ( !!!! ), tyres filters ( so got instance if you have a Fiat, take it in for service and have a non original air filter fitted ) and numerous other bits and pieces.
In the above example, a replacement air filter, you may find that your insurance company will not pay out if you do not mention, at the time of applying for the policy, you have a none standard air filter fitted

As a by the by, how many on here have a Funster sticker ( or even a dealership sticker ! ) displayed ?

Well if you insured through one of the Bennetts subsidiary brokers you could well not be insured .. Be careful out there folks !!!

Thanks - have shared this amongst my motorcycling chums.

:thumb:

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
I've hated them since 2002 John - when they firstly refused to transfer the policy we had on the Africa Twin to the Triumph Trophy saying that it was special Honda Scheme policy so no return premium, no transfer of NCD - got to start again. It was Norwich Union so I looked up the name of the CEO at NU, told the sory and the last sentence of that letter said - Why are NU penalising us for Buying British?

Bennetts kowtowed and transferred the cover to the Trophy, with no loss of premium or NCD.

The NU Right Royally cocked up the claim we had for the Triumph when it was 6 weeks old. The accident was in Aylesbury as we were taking it to On Yer Triumph - where we'd bought it from - for it's first service! They said we couldn't have it repaired there and had to take it to their Approved Repairers. The nearest one to you is at Ilkeston she says. (the claims office is in Ireland, by the way) I say don't be ridiculous, that's further away from us than Aylesbury but in the opposite direction. Anyway I rang them anyway and it was a car body repairer, they didn't do bikes and didn't know why people were always ringing them up about repairing bikes ......

So ... some time later, their engineer met Pete at On Yer Triumph and OK'd the repair, handing the authorisation note to the Service Manager. Four or five working days later the Irish woman rings to say that NU weren't authorising the authorisation from the engineer. I said you better ring Bruce at On Yer Triumph then as we're expecting a call tomorrow to say it's done and we can pick it up on Saturday - and I sure as hell ain't gonna ring him to say he won't be paid!

Whole shebang is a bloody shambles. And that's polite.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Am just off out to take my FUN sticker off the van....You cant be to careful.

Road Runner

Free Member
Jul 26, 2007
Europe
Funster No
MH
yes
Exp
Since before Motorhomefun
Well John now I know why you sent me that recommendations.............Thanks for pointing me in another direction..............:thumb:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
I [STRIKE]am[/STRIKE] was a rep for three different brokers.

I usually point folk in the direction their needs indicate.. For multibike policy Carole Nash are often the best bet

callumwa

Free Member
Jan 16, 2011
Tyne & Wear, sometimes..
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
4 yrs +, 30+ yrs motorbike touring
I have my Yamaha insured with Bennets....

I like many have a clear plastic sticker on the tank to prevent zip scratches.
I also have fitted (well the bike came with it fitted) a 4 inch higher than standard touring screen on the fairing, and then what about my hard luggage and top box.

I think I will need to get on the phone to Bennets when I get home and see what they say (and record the call).

I will be changing insurers immediately if they try to tell me this invalidates the policy... and will be changing on renewal for sure.

Snowbird

LIFE MEMBER
Apr 24, 2009
Liverpool.
Funster No
MH
Fifth wheel.
Exp
Since 11-05-2000
Shoooot....What sort of glue does Jim use on those FUN stickers...Maybe a new windscreen is in order.

johnp10

Free Member
Oct 12, 2009
North Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
8 years ish
Jaws;503968 The lists of modifications mentioned which Bennetts claim are tuning aids include stickers ( !!!! ) As a by the by said:
So: The Blackbird sticker (PROVIDED BY YOU!!!!!)
I have in the windscreen invalidates my insurance?????

Thanks a bunch, "mate"!!

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
Am just off out to take my FUN sticker off the van....You cant be to careful.
anything else you're taking off Dave, like your solar CONTROLLER (they may have been told about the panels but not the controller) and the leisure batteries, cos they wont be the original make either, or your battery desulfator, that aint standard.

i really wouldn't be worrying about a sticker mate.

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
If I take everything off my van it will proly weight the same as a Reliant Robin !

Landy lover

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 11, 2009
Zummerzet
Funster No
MH
27ft Eurolight
Exp
Camping Caravaning now 5'ering 49 years
That is one of the reasons why when I insure my Land Rovers I give chapter and verse of all modifications and take photos of them and provide the insurance companies with the photos. I also ensure that all the mods are listed on the policy - they ain't catching me on that one. The last thing I want is them turning round and saying you have a roof rack or winch on the front so not paying out because that must the reason someone shunted you up the rear.!!!!:ROFLMAO:

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
Well don't forget to add any stickers on the list next time !!

Bennetts have issued a rather pathetic statement.. This is a direct quote:

We always want bikers to be frank with us and appreciate your feedback. We’ve heard you and so we are urgently reviewing our modification/accessories policy. Just to confirm, multiple stickers are classed as one modification and not individual modifications as you may have read.

Just how wrong, at so many levels, is this statement !

Jun 10, 2011
Yorkshire (nr. Leeds)
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
Since 2011 (so a bit of a newbie)
Shoooot....What sort of glue does Jim use on those FUN stickers...Maybe a new windscreen is in order.

You should come from Bradford. You don't need insurance here. You just ride around uninsured, save yourself hundreds of pounds, and if you get caught you pay a £25 fine. It's really cool and saves a fortune in insurance costs :winky:

And judging by the court reports in the local paper having a license seems to be optional too, as is car tax.

sedge

Funster
Jul 7, 2009
Nr Jct 3 M6
Funster No
MH
C class
Exp
Aug 09 to date 9,000 miles!
There's places round Birmingham where they have those laws too. Years ago Datsun did s special version of the Sunny which was only available to residents of those areas. (It was cheaper I believe, since it didn't have operable indicators.)

wivvy's dad

Free Member
Jun 22, 2010
Funster No
MH
Transit LWB Hi-Top PVC
Exp
On and Off since '98
UPDATE:

MCN said we couldn’t take more than 3 modifications.
This was true.
We’ve now resolved this.
Simply call us.
Our apologies.
MCN said Bennetts claims could be rejected over a basic sticker.
False.
We’ve gone one further though and removed stickers from our mods list. Check with your insurer if you’re not with Bennetts, as it’s likely they will still class stickers as modifications.
This was common industry practice until we heard your feedback and changed our policy over the weekend.
Full details at bennetts.co.uk

So the sound of the cash register emptying was too much for them.......................People Power Rools

OP
OP
Jaws

Jaws

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 26, 2008
Thetford Norfolk
Funster No
MH
C class, Chieftain
Exp
since 2006 ( I think ! )
But they are still lying through their back teeth...

This was common industry practice until we heard your feedback and changed our policy over the weekend.

Nooo.. it wasn't

It is industry standard to ask for a list of modifications.. It is also industry standard for all but tuning or the like mods to be dismissed ( the reason you are asked to list them is simply that if you have a claim you have half a chance of getting the bike back in the same condition it was before any accident )

In fact if they had not been caught out and exposed they would still be at it..

Low life scammers who are trying to place ALL insurers in the same quagmire they find them self in.. nothing else to say

Chris

LIFE MEMBER
May 5, 2010
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
10 years
I'm not a biker but I hope the damage has been done to their business.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back