Reich taps.

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by elamessa, Aug 2, 2015.

1. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Have a slight leak from base of kitchen tap and on closer inspection noticed a small crack in the main body.
    Wondereing how difficult they are to change or is it dealer only job?

Cheers.

2. trevorf

trevorf Funster

Every make and model will have slightly different access and space under the sink. Not difficult as long as you can lie upside down under the kitchen sink and reach up with a tap spanner. Connections are usually just a "push fit"

• Like Like x 1
  3. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

If it's a lever mixer tap, prise out the blue and red plastic indicators and undo the screw. The top should pull off, you should see a brass threaded locking ring that it's worth trying to tighten down a bit more. In my experience, a slight crack in the tap body shouldn't cause a leak, but if there's not enough clamping pressure on the cartridge inside the tap, it will cause a leak which would manifest itself at the crack in the body. Mine did similar after frost expanded the components apart, then left them loose once the frost melted. Worth a try before lashing out on a new tap assembly.

4. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Thanks for the above,
    Unfortunately not able to tighten so have ordered new mixer. Will then have to see how easy it is to change, although dont look so bad from this picture. Are they push fit or screw thread? 20150802_120101.jpg

5. Lenny HB

Lenny HB Funster

They are ferral connections you will have to cut the pipe & refit the pipes to the new tap with Jubilee clips.

6. matamoros

matamoros Funster

Ex Rochdale now Tavira, S. Brittany & Europe
    I had a problem with a reich tap/shower unit on a caravan and attempted to do it myself, even bought a special sink spanner, but gave up because of restricted access and tightness, I got a man in.

From what I remember the connections are push in but secured with a rod that has to be pushed out, but they may not all be the same.

I would suggest waiting to see what the new part is like before dismantling the old one.

7. Poohbear

Poohbear Funster

Yes watch those ferral connections, they can be quite dangerous :)

• Like Like x 2
  8. teensvan99

teensvan99 Funster

The best way to see if you are able to change the tap is remove the sink first. This gives you a much better chance to see if you are up to the job. It took me an hour and half to remove the sink and waste tighten tap base and put all back the other day. The reich taps do have silly little pins you have to remove to get connections out. Or they did on the one I changed in our old Burstner. Better to DIY and you then know next time if it goes wrong how it works.

steve & ann. -------- teensvan

9. jockaneezer

jockaneezer Funster

Sorry, been away from the pc for a couple of days. If you undo that big brass nut in the photo, the tap will pull away from the sink. You may want to snip through the brown and blue microswitch wires (power off first) and reconnect the new wires with a chocolate block connector. If you look at where the two pipes enter the base of the tap, you'll see a little black plastic pin between them, push this out and then the pipes can be detached by pulling them away from the tap body, remember to make a note of which way round the hot and cold are fitted. Refit by reversing the procedure.

• Like Like x 2
  10. Techno

Techno Funster Life Member

Be sure to order the correct diameter replacement as the two sizes look alike in pictures on the web.

11. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Ordered from www.leader-loisers.com and the diagram of the one I ordered is exactly the same as the one im replacing. They have a good returns policy if its wrong.

12. Techno

I vaguely recall 27mm & 33mm

13. elamessa

elamessa Funster

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  14. Techno

Yes 27 / 33 (y)

• Like Like x 1
  15. Manic

Manic Funster

Rather than cut the pipes, undo the nut and pull the tap up through the hole and you should see a dowel pin between the pipes, push this out and the pipes should pull out of the tap base.

• Like Like x 1
  16. elamessa

elamessa Funster

Reich tap arrived this morning 20 mins later installed in place of leaking one. Apart from the pin on the old one being white and not very easy to see it was a straight forward job.
    Tools required. Wrench, wire cutters, solder and iron and cable ties oh and wife for holding things especially wires whilst I soldered them
    Big thanks to funsters for advice.
    (y):)

• Like Like x 3