Reich Ebox or E-box on Burstner 748 (1 Viewer)

davehuge

Free Member
Mar 15, 2008
Here, there n everywhere!
Funster No
Our 2006 Burstner 748 is fitted with a Reich E-box which controls all the electrical system.

We've had no trouble with the unit charging the leisure batteries whilst driving or via the solar panel.

However, recently we've spent extended periods (like weeks at a time) on mains hook up. One day I noticed that the batteries were not being charged. To cut a long story short I found the cooling fan within the unit had stopped working and I replaced it. All was working fine again.

I assume the fan not running caused the unit to overheat and cut out.

The fan (a good quality one) only lasted a couple of months and now that has stopped and again the batteries are not being charged.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to strip the unit again in the morning and have a look, I can't understand what is causing the fan to fail?

I can only assume the fans are failing due to the unit overheating. I plan to fit a another fan but this time drill some extra holes in the case for cooling, see what happens...

Last edited:

teensvan

Free Member
Jul 25, 2009
Fulltime in Motorhome
Funster No
MH
Coachbuilt
Exp
Hi.

Could it be that the fan is rated at 12 volt but when on hookup the voltage could be 14.8 to 15.5 on the fan feed. This is only a thought.

steve & ann. teensvan

Dave & Sue

Free Member
Feb 2, 2010
Sheffield, UK
Funster No
Exp
2010 is year 1!
Question related to your fan isssue

Hi dave - I seem to have the opposite problem in that the fan on my e box on my B/747-2 seems to run constantly although it is clearly not overheating - the e box looks like a sealed unti to me - any ideas?

cheers Dave

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Our 2006 Burstner 748 is fitted with a Reich E-box which controls all the electrical system.

We've had no trouble with the unit charging the leisure batteries whilst driving or via the solar panel.

However, recently we've spent extended periods (like weeks at a time) on mains hook up. One day I noticed that the batteries were not being charged. To cut a long story short I found the cooling fan within the unit had stopped working and I replaced it. All was working fine again.

I assume the fan not running caused the unit to overheat and cut out.

The fan (a good quality one) only lasted a couple of months and now that has stopped and again the batteries are not being charged.

Hmmmm. There are actually cooling slots in the units casing, however, I have seen reference to making sure there is adequate space round the unit, and if possible between the baseplate and the surface its fastened to. I would say, if possible, and its mounted between the floors like on my MH, leaving a locker door slightly open for ventilation, may help. Not much use if you need the underfloor heating, and maybe security issues. The fans fitted are usually not too fussy about voltage, IMHO. Try A & A caravan services in Colwyn Bay, advice freely given, and certain repairs undertaken dependent on complexity and availability of parts from Reich. If calling, tell them 'Dave with that big awkward Burstner' sent you! (ebay link below).

Link Removed

Hopefully, it will be an easier fix than mine, which at the least needs a new dispaly panel, as its acting very strange and knocking itself off, and may yet be more serious. :Angry:

Last edited:

jackrussel

Free Member
Jul 8, 2012
south cheshire
Funster No
MH
Burstner Elegance i821
Exp
nada
Pesky e-box made to behave!

Contact Dave Brannon in Talacre. He'll show it who's the daddy

Broken Link Removed

Mine had a successful repair, but still needed a new control panel which I bought first, as the old one was part of the problem. However overheating is a common fault and mine was modded to cure this, along with other switching issues.

If this guy can't help, rip it out and replace with fuses, relays, switches, and old skool wiring!

Last edited:

movan

LIFE MEMBER
Dec 2, 2009
Moving around
Funster No
MH
Burstner
Exp
since07
Thanks Jack Russell... Capinpugwash very kindly replaced/sorted some of the wiring and connectors and sorted the fuses out which had gone and that seems to have sorted the engine battery etc out but the Control panel still needs replacing...... it is interesting to note after reading the above posts that this fault occurred after my first time on hook up for a length of time.

At the moment my van is under warranty but I was hoping to avoid the problem recurring once the warranty runs out. :Smile:

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back