Reich Ebox or E-box on Burstner 748

Discussion in 'Tech/Mech General' started by davehuge, Oct 10, 2009.

1. davehuge

davehuge Read Only Funster

Our 2006 Burstner 748 is fitted with a Reich E-box which controls all the electrical system.

We've had no trouble with the unit charging the leisure batteries whilst driving or via the solar panel.

However, recently we've spent extended periods (like weeks at a time) on mains hook up. One day I noticed that the batteries were not being charged. To cut a long story short I found the cooling fan within the unit had stopped working and I replaced it. All was working fine again.

I assume the fan not running caused the unit to overheat and cut out.

The fan (a good quality one) only lasted a couple of months and now that has stopped and again the batteries are not being charged.

Has anyone else experienced this? I'm going to strip the unit again in the morning and have a look, I can't understand what is causing the fan to fail?

I can only assume the fans are failing due to the unit overheating. I plan to fit a another fan but this time drill some extra holes in the case for cooling, see what happens...

Last edited: Oct 10, 2009
  2. teensvan

teensvan Read Only Funster

Hi.

Could it be that the fan is rated at 12 volt but when on hookup the voltage could be 14.8 to 15.5 on the fan feed. This is only a thought.

steve & ann. teensvan

3. Dave & Sue

Dave & Sue Read Only Funster

Question related to your fan isssue

Hi dave - I seem to have the opposite problem in that the fan on my e box on my B/747-2 seems to run constantly although it is clearly not overheating - the e box looks like a sealed unti to me - any ideas?

cheers Dave

4. jackrussel

jackrussel Read Only Funster

Last edited: Apr 18, 2013
  5. jackrussel

jackrussel Read Only Funster

Pesky e-box made to behave!

Contact Dave Brannon in Talacre. He'll show it who's the daddy

http://leisureelectronicrepairs.co.uk/index.htm

Mine had a successful repair, but still needed a new control panel which I bought first, as the old one was part of the problem. However overheating is a common fault and mine was modded to cure this, along with other switching issues.

If this guy can't help, rip it out and replace with fuses, relays, switches, and old skool wiring!

Last edited: Jan 13, 2014
    • Like Like x 1
  6. movan

movan Funster Life Member

Thanks Jack Russell... Capinpugwash very kindly replaced/sorted some of the wiring and connectors and sorted the fuses out which had gone and that seems to have sorted the engine battery etc out but the Control panel still needs replacing...... it is interesting to note after reading the above posts that this fault occurred after my first time on hook up for a length of time.

At the moment my van is under warranty but I was hoping to avoid the problem recurring once the warranty runs out. :Smile: