Regrettable Introduction to Motorhome Ownership

Discussion in 'Introduce Yourself' started by LeoTheLad, Sep 2, 2016.

1. LeoTheLad

LeoTheLad Read Only Funster

Hi All,
    At the beginning of this year, having recently retired and my wife about to retire, we decided to put a good chunk of our hard earned savings into a motorhome. It would have to be pre-owned as our savings do not stretch to a new one.
    After viewing many, we found one at a local motorhome dealer just outside Hereford. It was bigger and more expensive than we had originally budgeted for but it was very tidy so we took the plunge.
    The agreed deal included a service with a cambelt change undertaken by a nearby garage together with the associated copy invoice plus a copy of the recent habitation certificate to be made available at the time of collection of the vehicle.
    Upon collection, neither of these two documents was available but we took the vehicle after receiving assurances that they would be available within a matter of days.
    After almost a month of repeated phone calls chasing these documents, nothing materialised so on the advice of the C.A.B., I returned the vehicle within 30 days due to breach of contract under the Consumer Rights Act, requesting a full refund. This resulted in an altercation with the dealer.
    Within days, these documents suddenly materialised so we felt there was no longer any justification for rejecting the vehicle which was subsequently collected together with a copy invoice and a habitation certificate.
    Later, close scrutiny of the copy invoice raised our suspicions. Our local mechanic confirmed that the cambelt had not been changed nor had the fuel filter – both these items appear on the copy invoice as being replaced. The invoice was a fake.
    If I wanted to pursue this matter through the courts then, according to the C.A.B., we would have to stop using the vehicle until the judicial process had run its course otherwise we would be deemed to have accepted the vehicle. Also, we would need a report by an expert witness to substantiate our claim as local garage reports are not admissible in court and the AA are not allowed to get their hands dirty.
    So, our options were:
    1. To leave our motorhome parked on the drive for the foreseeable future and engage an expert witness at a cost of just under £500 with no guarantee that any costs would be awarded in our favour should we win, or
    2. Get the work done by my local garage for £350 and have use of the vehicle.
    We chose the latter.
    The bounder (language considerably moderated) who sold us the vehicle knows the system well and gets away with it – probably not for the first time and almost certainly not the last. Is there such a thing as an honest second-hand vehicle dealer?
    Now the work has been done and I’ve hopefully made prospective buyers aware that there are dishonest dealers out there, we can start to enjoy our acquisition and also MotorhomeFun.
    Leo.

• Informative Informative x 10
    • Like Like x 4
  2. Anthea M

Anthea M Funster

Hello and welcome so sorry to hear of your bad experience with the dealer. When it's resolved I hope you do enjoy it .
    Some Funsters will know what to do and advise you. Good luck!

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. DuxDeluxe

DuxDeluxe Funster Life Member

Welcome on board and sorry to hear your story; yes there are many rogues out there, but equally there are a lot of really good dealers. Hope you can put it behind you and enjoy the new to you van.

4. Mr Ed

Mr Ed Funster

Name and shame the Bas$!ards.......By the way:WelcomeFlag:to the fun.

• Like Like x 6
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. ambulancekidd

ambulancekidd Funster

What a batism of fire & a lesson for everyone. Hope you now get to enjoy your motorhome & wishing good health for both of you to enjoy retirement.

6. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Oops..

Greetings Leo..

Sorry to hear about the problems, no doubt others will be along soon to add to this thread.

Two things..

How did you pay for the van, either deposit or the full balance, as you may have rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

Secondly, I suspect there may well be a case to answer to either Trading Standards or the Police as you suggest that the documentation produced may well be false,,

Lastly, it may be worth contacting the 'owner of the company, if you need any help you can email me at my handle and add gmail.com to the end of it...

Honest dealers , hmm, that's a thread in itself, one of two are really good.

Shifty...

• Like Like x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
  7. MH 55 FUN

MH 55 FUN Funster

:hiya2: & :welcome3:& sorry to hear that grim tale. :)

8. Armytwowheels

Armytwowheels Funster Life Member

Hello and welcome. Not a good start for you, but hopefully that's the bad bits behind you and the future is all good.

9. LeoTheLad

Thanks to you all for your kind words.

Hi Shifty. Thanks for your reply.
    Firstly, it was a cash deposit followed by a bank transfer for the remainder.
    Secondly, it seems there is no direct route to Trading Standards, only through the C.A.B. From my discussions with them, it is their decision whether they involve Trading Standards or not. I have contacted the Police via their fraud hotline. Again it is their decision whether they take any action.
    Lastly, the final contact I had with the dealer resulted in an altercation that I do not wish to repeat. The work has now been done so there is no longer any proof that the invoice was a fake.

Hi Mr Ed. Thanks also for your reply.
    I wish that I could name and shame but I think it would contravene the forum rules. Also, I no longer have any proof, plus he could then 'send the boys round'.

Another lesson learnt the hard way.
    Leo.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. golly

golly Funster

Given the dodgy mechanical work or non work ! I would get your own habitation check done, just to make sure there is no damp etc. Hope your motor-homing goes smoother from now on, and :welcomesign:

• Like Like x 1
  11. LeoTheLad

Hi Golly. Good point, thank you.
    Leo.

12. ShiftZZ

ShiftZZ Funster Life Member

Herefordshire Council

Environmental Health & Trading Standards
    Economy, Communities and Corporate Directorate
    Herefordshire Council
    Blueschool House
    Blueschool Street
    Hereford
    HR1 2ZB

Telephone: 01432 261761
    Fax: 01432 261982
    psh@herefordshire.gov.uk

(y)

• Like Like x 2
    • Useful Useful x 1
  13. LeoTheLad

Thank you ShiftZZ. I stand corrected.
    Leo.

14. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

If you are certain of your findings then name and shame....it may stop others walking into the same situation.

• Like Like x 3
    • Useful Useful x 1
  15. Yorick

Yorick Funster

If you name and shame them, they may refuse to deal with any further complaints or problems.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Bart

Bart Funster

+1 Deffo , name and shame.

• Like Like x 1
  17. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

It appears they wont anyway and cant be trusted going by this experience!

• Like Like x 2
  18. Yorick

Yorick Funster

I'd keep quiet, just in case.

• Like Like x 1
  19. LeoTheLad

Hi ShiftZZ,
    Just phoned Environmental Health & Trading Standards at Herefordshire Council - the operator transfers you to Consumer Advice (C.A.B.) who "may pass your information on to Trading Standards".
    Phoned the operator again who confirmed "the only way of making contact with Trading Standards is via a referral from Consumer Advice". So it's not Environmental Health & Trading Standards at all - just Environmental Health! What a waste of time!
    Leo.

20. davidbaldam

davidbaldam Funster

Hi and welcome to FUN, It's a shame you've had a troubled start to Motorhoming but your in the right place for all and any advise regarding Motorhomes, travel and great banter but you need to subscribe which is £15:00 per annum but well worth it, you'll get that back in advise alone. (y)

• Like Like x 1