Regrettable Introduction to Motorhome Ownership (1 Viewer)

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi All,
At the beginning of this year, having recently retired and my wife about to retire, we decided to put a good chunk of our hard earned savings into a motorhome. It would have to be pre-owned as our savings do not stretch to a new one.
After viewing many, we found one at a local motorhome dealer just outside Hereford. It was bigger and more expensive than we had originally budgeted for but it was very tidy so we took the plunge.
The agreed deal included a service with a cambelt change undertaken by a nearby garage together with the associated copy invoice plus a copy of the recent habitation certificate to be made available at the time of collection of the vehicle.
Upon collection, neither of these two documents was available but we took the vehicle after receiving assurances that they would be available within a matter of days.
After almost a month of repeated phone calls chasing these documents, nothing materialised so on the advice of the C.A.B., I returned the vehicle within 30 days due to breach of contract under the Consumer Rights Act, requesting a full refund. This resulted in an altercation with the dealer.
Within days, these documents suddenly materialised so we felt there was no longer any justification for rejecting the vehicle which was subsequently collected together with a copy invoice and a habitation certificate.
Later, close scrutiny of the copy invoice raised our suspicions. Our local mechanic confirmed that the cambelt had not been changed nor had the fuel filter – both these items appear on the copy invoice as being replaced. The invoice was a fake.
If I wanted to pursue this matter through the courts then, according to the C.A.B., we would have to stop using the vehicle until the judicial process had run its course otherwise we would be deemed to have accepted the vehicle. Also, we would need a report by an expert witness to substantiate our claim as local garage reports are not admissible in court and the AA are not allowed to get their hands dirty.
So, our options were:
1. To leave our motorhome parked on the drive for the foreseeable future and engage an expert witness at a cost of just under £500 with no guarantee that any costs would be awarded in our favour should we win, or
2. Get the work done by my local garage for £350 and have use of the vehicle.
We chose the latter.
The bounder (language considerably moderated) who sold us the vehicle knows the system well and gets away with it – probably not for the first time and almost certainly not the last. Is there such a thing as an honest second-hand vehicle dealer?
Now the work has been done and I’ve hopefully made prospective buyers aware that there are dishonest dealers out there, we can start to enjoy our acquisition and also MotorhomeFun.
Leo.

Anthea M

Free Member
Deceased RIP
Oct 18, 2015
Sheffield
Funster No
MH
Hobby
Exp
Since 2009
Hello and welcome so sorry to hear of your bad experience with the dealer. When it's resolved I hope you do enjoy it .
Some Funsters will know what to do and advise you. Good luck!

DuxDeluxe

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 10, 2008
Planet Zog
Funster No
MH
A woosh bang van
Exp
since 2008
Welcome on board and sorry to hear your story; yes there are many rogues out there, but equally there are a lot of really good dealers. Hope you can put it behind you and enjoy the new to you van.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

ambulancekidd

Funster
Sep 23, 2014
Ayrshire Scotland
Funster No
MH
Swift Kon-Tiki 640
Exp
Since 1964 Gosh that makes me feel old.
What a batism of fire & a lesson for everyone. Hope you now get to enjoy your motorhome & wishing good health for both of you to enjoy retirement.

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Hi All,
At the beginning of this year, having recently retired and my wife about to retire, we decided to put a good chunk of our hard earned savings into a motorhome. It would have to be pre-owned as our savings do not stretch to a new one.
After viewing many, we found one at a local motorhome dealer just outside Hereford. It was bigger and more expensive than we had originally budgeted for but it was very tidy so we took the plunge.
The agreed deal included a service with a cambelt change undertaken by a nearby garage together with the associated copy invoice plus a copy of the recent habitation certificate to be made available at the time of collection of the vehicle.
Upon collection, neither of these two documents was available but we took the vehicle after receiving assurances that they would be available within a matter of days.
After almost a month of repeated phone calls chasing these documents, nothing materialised so on the advice of the C.A.B., I returned the vehicle within 30 days due to breach of contract under the Consumer Rights Act, requesting a full refund. This resulted in an altercation with the dealer.
Within days, these documents suddenly materialised so we felt there was no longer any justification for rejecting the vehicle which was subsequently collected together with a copy invoice and a habitation certificate.
Later, close scrutiny of the copy invoice raised our suspicions. Our local mechanic confirmed that the cambelt had not been changed nor had the fuel filter – both these items appear on the copy invoice as being replaced. The invoice was a fake.
If I wanted to pursue this matter through the courts then, according to the C.A.B., we would have to stop using the vehicle until the judicial process had run its course otherwise we would be deemed to have accepted the vehicle. Also, we would need a report by an expert witness to substantiate our claim as local garage reports are not admissible in court and the AA are not allowed to get their hands dirty.
So, our options were:
1. To leave our motorhome parked on the drive for the foreseeable future and engage an expert witness at a cost of just under £500 with no guarantee that any costs would be awarded in our favour should we win, or
2. Get the work done by my local garage for £350 and have use of the vehicle.
We chose the latter.
The bounder (language considerably moderated) who sold us the vehicle knows the system well and gets away with it – probably not for the first time and almost certainly not the last. Is there such a thing as an honest second-hand vehicle dealer?
Now the work has been done and I’ve hopefully made prospective buyers aware that there are dishonest dealers out there, we can start to enjoy our acquisition and also MotorhomeFun.
Leo.
Oops..

Greetings Leo..

Sorry to hear about the problems, no doubt others will be along soon to add to this thread.

Two things..

How did you pay for the van, either deposit or the full balance, as you may have rights under the Consumer Credit Act 1974?

Secondly, I suspect there may well be a case to answer to either Trading Standards or the Police as you suggest that the documentation produced may well be false,,

Lastly, it may be worth contacting the 'owner of the company, if you need any help you can email me at my handle and add gmail.com to the end of it...

Honest dealers , hmm, that's a thread in itself, one of two are really good.

Shifty...

Armytwowheels

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 10, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
Carthago S Plus - Iveco
Exp
Since 2011
Hello and welcome. Not a good start for you, but hopefully that's the bad bits behind you and the future is all good.

OP
OP
L

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Thanks to you all for your kind words.

Hi Shifty. Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, it was a cash deposit followed by a bank transfer for the remainder.
Secondly, it seems there is no direct route to Trading Standards, only through the C.A.B. From my discussions with them, it is their decision whether they involve Trading Standards or not. I have contacted the Police via their fraud hotline. Again it is their decision whether they take any action.
Lastly, the final contact I had with the dealer resulted in an altercation that I do not wish to repeat. The work has now been done so there is no longer any proof that the invoice was a fake.

Hi Mr Ed. Thanks also for your reply.
I wish that I could name and shame but I think it would contravene the forum rules. Also, I no longer have any proof, plus he could then 'send the boys round'.

Another lesson learnt the hard way.
Leo.

golly

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 16, 2009
Land of the Prince Bishops
Funster No
MH
HYMERCAR PVC
Exp
since August 2009
Given the dodgy mechanical work or non work ! I would get your own habitation check done, just to make sure there is no damp etc. Hope your motor-homing goes smoother from now on, and :welcomesign:

ShiftZZ

LIFE MEMBER
Feb 19, 2008
Dark Side of the Moon
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Since 2007
Thanks to you all for your kind words.

Hi Shifty. Thanks for your reply.
Firstly, it was a cash deposit followed by a bank transfer for the remainder.
Secondly, it seems there is no direct route to Trading Standards, only through the C.A.B. From my discussions with them, it is their decision whether they involve Trading Standards or not. I have contacted the Police via their fraud hotline. Again it is their decision whether they take any action.
Lastly, the final contact I had with the dealer resulted in an altercation that I do not wish to repeat. The work has now been done so there is no longer any proof that the invoice was a fake.

Hi Mr Ed. Thanks also for your reply.
I wish that I could name and shame but I think it would contravene the forum rules. Also, I no longer have any proof, plus he could then 'send the boys round'.

Another lesson learnt the hard way.
Leo.

Herefordshire Council

Environmental Health & Trading Standards
Economy, Communities and Corporate Directorate
Herefordshire Council
Blueschool House
Blueschool Street
Hereford
HR1 2ZB

Telephone: 01432 261761
Fax: 01432 261982
psh@herefordshire.gov.uk

(y)

Oct 1, 2013
Lanzarote
Funster No
MH
Nil by mouth
Exp
Lots
If you name and shame them, they may refuse to deal with any further complaints or problems.

OP
OP
L

LeoTheLad

Free Member
Sep 2, 2016
Ross-on-Wye
Funster No
MH
Van Conversion
Exp
I'm a newbie
Hi ShiftZZ,
Just phoned Environmental Health & Trading Standards at Herefordshire Council - the operator transfers you to Consumer Advice (C.A.B.) who "may pass your information on to Trading Standards".
Phoned the operator again who confirmed "the only way of making contact with Trading Standards is via a referral from Consumer Advice". So it's not Environmental Health & Trading Standards at all - just Environmental Health! What a waste of time!
Leo.

Oct 15, 2012
Market Harborough
Funster No
MH
C Class Laika Ecovip 7R
Exp
Hi and welcome to FUN, It's a shame you've had a troubled start to Motorhoming but your in the right place for all and any advise regarding Motorhomes, travel and great banter but you need to subscribe which is £15:00 per annum but well worth it, you'll get that back in advise alone. (y)

Aug 21, 2015
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Autocruise starblazer
Exp
since 2015
Hello :hi:
It never ceases to amaze me the lengths some people will go to to swindle others out of their hard earned money. Grrr!! I would've been tempted to sit outside the dealership in the MH with a big placard emblazoned with some choice words putting off any prospective customers, in the hope that it might make them see reason.
I hope you get some justification - fingers crossed for you.

Feb 16, 2013
uttoxeter
Funster No
MH
ambulance conversion
Exp
50 years
Personly, if your van is now ok I would leave well alone, you are not going to get anything off this dealer, and for £350 you now know it's ok.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy

sorry Leo but as you now know that was a HUGE mistake. Get it fixed, swallow deeply and treat it as a lesson learned and in future trust no-one when they have their fingers creeping towards your money.

I know Cactus Jack said that being VPOTUS was as much use as a bucket of warm piss but he could just as well have been speaking of the value of the word of car/motorhome/mobilephone dealers.

Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
I agree with @Lot lover I had a bad experience with motorhome dealers Marquis and after trying in vain to get the the problem sorted I just vowed never to spend another penny there even though they are b far my nearest dealer :mad:
Move on and enjoy your new Motorhome (y)

icantremember

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 2, 2010
Near to Watton in Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Hymer T-SL668
Exp
since 2005
I agree with @Lot lover I had a bad experience with motorhome dealers Marquis and after trying in vain to get the the problem sorted I just vowed never to spend another penny there even though they are b far my nearest dealer :mad:
Move on and enjoy your new Motorhome (y)
Ah! Must be jolly old G Cross, where when we arrived to collect a new m/h none of the extras which we paid for had been fitted and the manager offered to refund us for them at TRADE PRICE not what we paid!:madder:

Rob and Val

Free Member
Oct 17, 2010
Lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
Talbot Compass Calypso
Exp
Since July 2010
Hi.gif
, Leo, and a warm welcome from us. Sorry to hear that you got off to a bad start but hope that your motorhome experience will get better and better.

Dave and Ginny

Free Member
Jan 31, 2013
Nottingham
Funster No
MH
Hymer Starline 680
Exp
Since 2011, previously a tugger
I'm sorry to hear about your bad introduction into what you will discover is the wonderful world of motor homing.

I wonder how common such scams actually are with regard to the 'so called' cambelt replacement. I'm not going to name the dealer because I could be wrong...but I'm quite certain that the previous owners of our vehicle were duped by the dealer who has for years claimed to change the cambelt upon purchase. When we bought the vehicle from them just a few years later I could find no evidence that it had been replaced so I subsequently had it done myself.

I think you made the correct decision so now enjoy your retirement and go have some fun:).

Mar 23, 2012
sleights
Funster No
MH
c class
Exp
Hope you get over the initial dissapointment and enjoy your motorhome. The worst windup I had was an off airport car park that damaged my car then said I had done it myself they wound me up so much with their dispute procedure and denying all knowledge I went to the airport and gave out leaflets to people boarding their courtesy bus!!!!. I just never used airparks again and tell all my friends about it over the years it must have cost them thousands hope you can do the same to the cowboys you dealt with.

Xabia

Free Member
Jan 20, 2011
Rural Nottinghamshire and Spain
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1996
I don't know whether you wish to persue this any further, I would and have used the online service https://www.gov.uk/make-money-claim-online. It will cost £35 to submit the claim online and that will be refunded if you win.

On a number of occasions, used in business disputes, I found that the defendant didn't bother to attend court in which case I was awarded full compensation.

Lot lover

Free Member
May 13, 2016
Lot, France
Funster No
MH
Le Voyageur Integral
Exp
New boy
On a number of occasions, used in business disputes, I found that the defendant didn't bother to attend court in which case I was awarded full compensation.

But as we all know (or should anyway) there can be a world of difference between winning the case and collecting the cash.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back