Regrets

Discussion in 'Motorhome Chat' started by Big bus man, Nov 12, 2015.

1. Big bus man

Big bus man

Word would have it that lots of people decide to buy a motorhome in their elderly years, many plan this when they retire, after all those long days working you have a nice wedge of Wonga sitting in your account doing nothing, perhaps you have been a tugger for many years and promised yourself an upgrade on retirement.
    I was one of those planning this route, having sown the seed with Michelle, my wife, it seemed more sense to buy the MH earlier, get out more live the dream whilst I had an income should things need doing or I want a better van, the upside being when retirement does eventually fall I will have a nice van and plenty of experience on the road and of coarse have exactly the right van I need.
    So my question is really to those that waited for retirement before taking the plunge.....Did you have any regrets about not buying your motorhome earlier in life, or to you others...when you got to retirement age did you have your perfect van?

• Like Like x 7
  2. Stroppy Bird

Stroppy Bird Funster

I know your question is mainly aimed at those who have retired but I thought I'd give my two pennyworth anyway.

I decided not to wait until retirement - mainly because you never know what's around the corner. My mum never made it to retirement (and neither did Mr SBs dad) and I think that's what really prompted me to go for it earlier than what was probably financially more sensible. I extended my mortgage to purchase the van, but it will still be paid off long before I retire (assuming I get there!). And although we have to go without some luxuries in life, the trips that we have away in the van now more than make up for that. Regrets on buying early? No.

• Like Like x 11
  3. Big Nick

Big Nick Funster

We've bought ours now even though we don't retire for another 6 years basically because we could afford it now so why wait?

Two colleagues at work not much older than me have succumbed to cancer this year and are never to reach retirement.

Life is too short and you need to live for today as tomorrow might never come

• Like Like x 8
  4. mickyc

mickyc Read Only Funster

We bought our first van when I was 42 and have had 10 years of brilliant motorhoming, really glad we didn't wait. The kids (now flown the nest) had summer and winter holidays we could not even have contemplated without the van.

Just swapped (and retired) the previous experience has enabled us to just "go for it" now without the usual (newby) concerns.

My advice would be not to wait. The week after I retired one of my closest friends was killed on the M1 (2 days after he had been sat in our van telling us his plans to follow us into Europe next year)

Don't wait

• Like Like x 3
  5. bellabee

bellabee Funster

We decided not to wait for retirement, and it was the right decision. We bought our first van 5 years ago, and have had 5 years of enjoyment, making memories while we're still fit enough to make the most of things.
    Our intention was to keep the original van throughout our retirement, but my OH is about to take retirement at the end of the year (I opted out of the rat race few years ago), and we've just bought a new van.
    There's another thread going on at the moment about putting money into perspective, and equating expenditure to the number of weeks it would buy in a care home. I thought it was a very good way of looking at things.
    A lot of this goes against the grain for me. I'm a 'saver' rather than a 'spender,' but it's something I'm working hard to overcome.
    So, I'd say 'Go for it, now!'

• Like Like x 5
  6. FIDGET

FIDGET Funster

We decided back in the late 1970's , when we were in our 30's, after enduring an unpleasant stomach illness for about 15years, we borrowed an old VW splitty camper & then hiring a moho, that was the way to go. But no money etc !!! tried to build our own ( no to bad considering that I am absolutely useless at any sort of DIY check it out in my vans in the showcase) , then replaced it some years later again & again , now on our 10th moho, still plodding along enjoying many trips on a budget. ( still got stomach prob but the moho & toilet solves many issues)

• Like Like x 8
  7. Larrynwin

Larrynwin Funster

We were boaty types before starting on RVs 11 years ago, now wish we had both at the time (greedy) as motorhomes give the freedom to travel almost anywhere.

• Like Like x 1
  8. Badknee

Badknee Funster

Were with you others in this. Our number one plan was to buy ourselves a MoHo on retirement and disappear into the sunset.
    What we actually did was buy it three years earlier and been having a brilliant time since, happy days (y):D

• Like Like x 1
  9. Jaws

Jaws Funster Life Member

Being as I was self employed I had a bit of freedom, but.. Bought our first van about 8 years before retirement
    Boy am I glad I did .. All those stolen weekends ( often pushed to a bit longer ) would have been missed if we had waited

• Like Like x 1
  10. awg

awg Funster

I agree with what most folks have said. We bought our first van this year which is 2 or 3 years before I plan to retire. This gives us time to start with shorter trips and possibly change the van (not currently planned) before I retire and money becomes more of a concern. We have been away almost every weekend since we collected it and already done a couple of week long trips to France. Started planning next years adventures including a longer 3 week holiday. Not regretted it so far

Allan

11. Big bus man

Big bus man

I am a spender the wife is a saver but she holds the purse strings so if I want something I have to go all doe eyed and beg, failing that subtle hints work, just takes time that's all! ;) With my van the words were "if you have the van you can't have a new car for a few years", that's fine I said, little does she know the subtle hints are coming thick and fast :sneaky: and how many years is "a few!" (y)

• Like Like x 3
  12. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

Bought my first campervan back in 1980 .. had vans and caravans every since..

13. Rob and Val

Rob and Val Funster

I'll always remember the words of my late neighbour. She said "When I was young I didn't have the money to do the things I wanted. Now I'm old I have the money but no longer have the good health."

So, if you have a dream, follow it NOW. If it's something you really want, then you will find a way.

• Like Like x 7
  14. laird of Dunstan

laird of Dunstan Funster Life Member

I think that it's a question that becomes more poinant after you hit 50 ,you look around and there are friends who have not made it to even 50, people that you know develope illnesses that are debilitating and it raises the question ," is it me next "?

I came to the decision to buy a motorhome and quit the rat race before I reach a pensionable age ,I was fortunate to meet someone who felt the same ,so the target is 2017 ,to have gone on the road in a semi full time set up ,if I need money I'll go and do some contracting

How many people do you know that have waited and waited until retirement only for life to be cut short

• Like Like x 3
  15. dotsontour

dotsontour Funster

Rob & val are correct . I admire those youngsters who go off travelling for a year or so ( probably bank of mum and dad ) .
    However they are young fit and see little danger. Start a career when they get back . I left school the day before my 15th birthday worked married worked had kids worked even more , now at last it's our time ! Yes we have adventures, back , knees and old age permitting.
    Regards June & dave dotsontour

• Like Like x 3
  16. GeebeeJaybee

GeebeeJaybee

Bought our first motorhome this year (I have at least 25 years to go to retirement!). We aren't regretting the move at all. Spent 10 days in France and at least every other weekend away since then.

Acutally considering selling our villa in Florida now as enjoying the motorhome so much we won't be going over there twice a year anymore.

• Like Like x 1
  17. Teuchter

Teuchter Funster

Bought our first caravan in 1983 when I was 40 and have been caravanning/motorhoming ever since - now 72! :)

• Like Like x 1
  18. maison

maison Funster

Like some previous posters we bought our first van while still working but under unusual circumstances.

Mrs Maison had always fancied a M/H but I preferred our caravan. Then, when driving along the M4 on our way to Dover and France, our caravan was hit from behind by a coach who misjudged his lane change. We spun around twice, hitting the central reservation barrier, and came to rest facing the wrong way across the middle and overtaking lane. The car and van were badly damaged.

Caravan Club Red pennant insurance came to the rescue and recovered our wrecked outfit to our home. Next day we were offered the choice of a replacement hire car and caravan, a Motorhome hire, or money towards hotel stays, in order to continue our hols.

"Right. I thought. Here is the perfect opportunity to show Mrs Maison that Motorhomes are not for us".

Result. - after three weeks touring France in the M/H I was converted and we replaced the car and caravan with own M/H. Since then we have never looked back, (except through the door mirrors at the receding country side).:rolleyes:(y)

• Like Like x 14
  19. bellabee

bellabee Funster

Ha, Ha. You might kid yourself that she doesn't know, but I bet she does. It's just a matter of whether she lets on and of how important it is to her.
    signed
    'One Who Knows' :sneaky:

• Like Like x 2
  20. Mattyjwr

Mattyjwr Funster Life Member

We haven't waited until we retire - too many things to do and see before we die and there won't be time or energy to do them all once retired.

Also, too many friends and family didn't get to retirement - IMHO, no point in delaying having fun with a MH.