Registered address

Discussion in 'Full Timers' started by BreweryDave, Sep 16, 2014.

1. BreweryDave

BreweryDave Funster Life Member

Hi all. Whilst we are 'experienced' full timers an issue has arisen re our address.
    It was a house we previously rented and subsequently rented by a cousin so there was no problem keeping it! Now however they have moved and it has been sold. I don't want to use a family address for various reasons and have looked into a company called My UK Mail who provide a genuine uk address ( for a reasonable fee) where I can register bank/vehicles etc and who will forward mail to wherever we are at any given time. Seems like a no brainer to me and suits my purpose - just wondered if anyone else has had experience of this or similar companies???
    I know I won't be on the electoral role but not in the least worried about that!!!

2. scotjimland

scotjimland Funster Life Member

I looked into this Dave, but that was as far as I got.. gave up full time shortly afterwards..

would this be acceptable to your insurance company ?

If so, then it looks like a solution to having no fixed abode.. . and at £60 per year, not too expensive either..

• Like Like x 3
  3. BreweryDave

I believe it would - as we have the comfort FT policy who only require a c/o address (as we know!!!)

4. Welsh girl

Welsh girl Funster Life Member

I read into that and the don't accept courier delivery that's the only problem I found.
    My daughter has done it so far.

5. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

will this cover people who live in mobile homes for 11 months of the year. and what about registering for a doctor.

6. BreweryDave

I guess it will cover anyone - it's just a mail address which is suitable for most purposes. I will register the MH and bank accounts there no problem. That's the only thing we need it for really. We manage everything on line as much as possible but dvla and ins and licence do need a physical address which this service provides!
    As for the Dr. we are fortunate that our GP knows what we do and as long as we don't need a home visit we are fine! You can actually visit any GP as you would if on holiday - luckily never needed to!

• Like Like x 2
  7. cruiser

cruiser Funster Life Member

thanks a lot I will pass that on.

8. scotjimland

Yes, you can visit any GP.. we did that when Charlotte was ill ., but one of the downsides of not being registered is that you won't get notifications for screening tests, such as bowl cancer, hypertension, Type 2 diabetes, AAA . etc

That said you can still ask for them to be done I guess, just bear them in mind.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Ruth

Ruth Read Only Funster

Would a holiday home (on a site thats open all year) count as a permanent address??

10. BreweryDave

For most purposes I guess it would - if the site allows mail there.
    But for insurance you need to show you live there ie. be on the electoral role etc.
    that's a conversation to have with the insurance company I guess. (Unless of course you buy full time insurance - then you only need a c/o address where the mh and your licence is registered.
    The service I mentioned above works for all of this with no catch!

11. Ruth

Ruth Read Only Funster

The UK Mail sounds the best and easiest then. This is all helpful information to me, my questions are being answered before I even have to ask them, Thank you

• Like Like x 2
  12. Tootles

Tootles Funster

99.9% of holiday homes have to close each year for at least a week.....Otherwise they are classed as 'residential'.

• Like Like x 2
  13. Ruth

Ruth Read Only Funster

Oh wow, thank you Tootles, I didnt know that. I will put it on my questions to ask before you buy list, which just keeps getting longer

• Like Like x 2
  14. BreweryDave

Also worth noting - I believe many of the holiday sites require you to have a formal address/residence as what they sell are 'holiday' homes.

I reckon a lot of that is covering themselves - maybe - and like in all things there are probably ways round it - but I have no experience of that yet!

• Like Like x 1
  15. Tootles

Tootles Funster

That's correct, Dave. And, you will find that all your mail, (if they even allow mail), goes to the main office for you to collect.....Where there is a very strong security risk, especially if your getting bank statements etc.

16. Ruth

Ruth Read Only Funster

Good point, thank you.
    I must say I joined this site less than 24 hours ago and have leant alot, your all pretty amazing (y)

• Like Like x 1
  17. Minxy Girl

Minxy Girl Funster Life Member

Be aware that on some sites you will have to pay council tax if you don't have a permanent residence elsewhere ... that's if the council allow the site to be used in that way ... a very 'sticky' area and being tightened up on ...

18. scotjimland

I've posted this before so not going to cover old ground again.

We were billed for council tax while living full time in our motorhome on a site in Colchester.. just be aware it can happen if you stay too long in the one place.. keep moving and keep under the radar.

Valuation Office information, caravan pitches and moorings..
    for the purposes of the law, a motorhome and caravan are the same.

http://www.voa.gov.uk/Corporate/pub...axManual/council_tax_man_pn/p-ct-man-pn7.html

• Like Like x 1
  19. Tootles

Tootles Funster

We had this problem with the narrowboat, Jim. If the boat/caravan is moored/parked on property that pays/is liable to pay council tax, then the boat/caravan cant be charged. British Waterways has hundreds of on-line moorings where peeps live aboard, but they pay not a jot. The other thin of coarse is, if they get stroppy, you just undo the ropes and move on for a while. It seems as though it's only static caravans that get it in the neck.(y)

• Like Like x 1
  20. scotjimland

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1