Register van in France (1 Viewer)

Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Have decided when we move to France in March I am going to try my best to keep my van and register it over their i know it will be time consuming and expensive as its a tag axle chieftain (weight and length ) after looking to sell and buy another in France would lose about £8000 so if I had to pay someone to do all paperwork for me still be cheaper Anyone with any advice would be most appreciated

OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Hi yodeli
Thanks for that it's a tag chieftain on a fiat 2.8 and a 2006 plate

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Oct 12, 2008
Balma (next to Toulouse) France
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Since 2011/owner since 6/03/2014
Right, so firstly you are not going to have lots of prob as you certainly have a certificate of conformity.
Will tell you more later as now puter is driving me mad!!

Last edited:
Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sally I live part of the year in the Charente and you are very welcome to pm me if you need help.
I have registered two imported vans there over the years,good luck.
I shall be back in January for a short visit but rushing back to a warmer Portugal!!

OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Thanks for your replies will put my questions on here at moment as don't know how to PM
Just spoke to auto trail and because my van is a 2006 they don't do a certificate of conformity only for vans after 2011 But he is going to send me a Letter with all details on would this be sufficient ? But then we are talking French Authoroties any replies would be grateful

moulin 87

Free Member
Aug 31, 2015
Limousin, France
Funster No
MH
Dethleffs Espirit T7150
Exp
I don't have direct experience with MHs, only cars, firstly I would think it would need to be in French and if it not a Certificate of Conformity it might help to start the process but it certainly won't be the end of it...But as it is France and each Prefecture is vaguely autonomous then who knows...It might be best to go and ask at the prefecture and then you'll know...

As noted the others with direct experience will help...

stcyr

Free Member
Apr 11, 2011
Normandie
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
On & off, since 1966 - fulltime since 2005
For older vehicles, without CofC, the van has to be presented 'à titre isolé' - as a 'one-off' (as if it was the only one of that type built) ... gov.fr site lists requirements.

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
how to PM
Dead easy : upper toolbar, find your username on the left hand side, then on username's left is INBOX . Click on it and then click on "start a new conversation"
Enter the username(s) of the people you want to contact, give it a title, then you 'll find a larger box in which you can type your private message. I'll send you now a "test" to show you where your INBOX is. It will show an alert. Happy private messaging !

Apr 28, 2013
Alentejo,Portugal
Funster No
MH
Hymer A Class
Exp
Since the '80,s
Sadly I think a letter would not be sufficient to be honest,maybe a partial certificate of conformity would help,don't know why they cannot issue a Cof C may be worth asking the question as a starting point.

Sep 5, 2013
Dordogne, france
Funster No
MH
Rapido 696FF
Exp
since 2013
Hi Sally, I may be the bearer of bad news.
We have a tag axle UK registered motorhome.
We have lived in France for a year now, and tried to register our three UK vehicles here. 2 with success and our L-R Discovery was going to cost just too much. They charge a tax based on CO2 output called 'malus tax' as well as a tax based on the horse power of the vehicle, 'puissance fiscale'. Both these are taken into account, together with the age of the vehicle, when the Centre des Impots and the Prefecture, (equivalent to DVLA) do their sums.
In addition, without a C of C you will struggle to get a Controle Technique issued, (French equivalent of MOT). Without this document you will not get a Carte Grise. (V5 doc equivalent).
The other problem you will encounter is because of the weight of your tag, the CT stations will be very reluctant to do it. They will send you to and HGV station. Again, more problems!
You need to chase the manufacturer for a C of C or failing that a Type Approval Certificate for a goods vehicle.
Feel free to ask more, if I can help I will.
Jim

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
I am coming to, near the end of a six month struggle to turn my four year old over 3.5 tonne Hymer French. The cost so far is nearly 1000 euro and will probably top that by the end.
I will be doing a complete write-up of the process while relaxing in Spain over the New Year till February and will p.m you the link when I do it.
The process is very department specific. If I lived just one mile to the west I would be in Aude and the process would have been a doddle, in Herault it is a nightmare.
I think you will struggle without a CoC I had to get one from Hymer 260euro and one from Fiat 200euro. You will certainly need a fluent French speaker preferably a French person to avoid predudice. As a first step find where your department DREAL office is and get a French person to phone them to talk them through the process they require.
Steve

ianandkath

Free Member
Jun 4, 2015
spain/uk
Funster No
MH
a class
Exp
2 years
ill forget about trying with my rv then:LOL::LOL::LOL:

OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Just a thought what if I transfer van to relative insure in their name and then say I borrow it off them I know only so many months abroad but we would return back here two or three times a year even to get it MOTD any thoughts

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
I am coming to, near the end of a six month struggle to turn my four year old over 3.5 tonne Hymer French. The cost so far is nearly 1000 euro and will probably top that by the end.
I will be doing a complete write-up of the process while relaxing in Spain over the New Year till February and will p.m you the link when I do it.
The process is very department specific. If I lived just one mile to the west I would be in Aude and the process would have been a doddle, in Herault it is a nightmare.
I think you will struggle without a CoC I had to get one from Hymer 260euro and one from Fiat 200euro. You will certainly need a fluent French speaker preferably a French person to avoid predudice. As a first step find where your department DREAL office is and get a French person to phone them to talk them through the process they require.
Steve

I can't recall if I told you this before but you are NOT OBLIGED AT ALL to go to your department DREAL . I went to Brive and never asked a single thing to anyone, nor the inspector from Brive DREAL He had my address on all the papers. You can go wherever you want . If it's easier then just go to AUDE . No one will ask you anything or the former files!!!

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
I can't recall if I told you this before but you are NOT OBLIGED AT ALL to go to your department DREAL . I went to Brive and never asked a single thing to anyone, nor the inspector from Brive DREAL He had my address on all the papers. You can go wherever you want . If it's easier then just go to AUDE . No one will ask you anything or the former files!!!
And they are much more accommodating and with our special man to do the checks and prepare the dossier so easy but I agree not cheap but cheaper than changing your van!!!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
our special man

Deffo! He does it all, you don't need to go everywhere, he tells you what when where, then gets your appointement with HIS DREAl, and then off you go. DREAL know the man, drop an eye in the van , then goes , so you are sent by Mister XY ... fine, let's do the papers! When you go , you have your papers, and ... A big smile on your face. I will never thank Spitfire enough for having given me the tip! Smashing guy he is!

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
After our discussion on the other thread Frankie I asked if I could go to Carcassonne which is in Aude and much closer and was specifically told I had to go to Montpellier. Herault WOULD NOT PROCESS DOCUMENTS FROM DREAL IN AUDE. As has been said before, each department makes up it's own rules.

Last edited:

spitfire

Free Member
Oct 13, 2010
Correze France
Funster No
MH
Bavaria
Exp
Since 2003
Apparently it is because his métier is conversions so he is very trusted to have checked and made any changes correctly as all his conversions must go through the same process to be registered. And his conversions are very nice too !!!

Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
Well.... As I said : I never asked anything, permission or whatever. I live in Toulouse which is Haute Garonne, and was given my papers in Brive. Just facts. I never said to Haute garonne I was going to do this or that, just did it, and .... result. I can't say more . I had struggled through all the possible services. Got my check book out so very often I got sick! The total must be around 1800 with petrol and hotel and meals! Got all the possible certificates , to be then told, as St Scyr said it's one off. No certificate is needed, we are going to pretend you have built it yourself ....! Had I known the man before, it would have cost 700 euros , end of it. Peace of mind , no days off to take, no struggling. Just ask for an appointement in Aude. I bet Montpellier finds your money quite good. Now just in case things have changed , I will check on internet if they have changed any rule at all.

Last edited:
Oct 12, 2008
Funster No
MH
HymerCamp 51Capucine
Exp
May be I should explain the difference between English way of acting and French one.
I understand perfectly that not being in your country, you act with law in mind at all times.
ME, French (some would even add B****y French), I will try to go round it.
Let's imagine for a second you can't go to another department DREAL .Why? your address? Ok then , now let's act French: I have no address so no entitled DREAL to go to, I haven't found a house yet and live in my motorhome! This will be my answer to everyone
Next thing is , where am I going to get my mail then?
1) Either you know someone who lives where the DREAL you've chosen is and ask for a temporary address there. Dead easy really
OR
2) You live in a campsite near by, you then give the address of the campsite.... could be Parc Verger even.

You have started a file in another departement? Ok then, you were living there at that time, but you moved.
NOTHING in the law says you can't move, or have long hols in a country to choose a house

Last: You already have a house and an address:

Put on your mail box any name like John Smith

Then give to the DREAL you have chosen to go to your address BUT saying Mr and Mrs XGX at Mister John Smith ... sorted ! You just have to modify things a bit, still truth you are living there...at the moment!

Always act "innocent" ! Oh indeed? Never knew that! Don't ask for more rules.
I went to the prefecture to ask for a second temporary plate number, which I was meant to ask 2 days before. I was not supposed to get any at all.
Went there with little Owen, and started to talk to him in English in front of the lady in charge of number plates delivery. Woman at the desk looked at me, took the papers , and NEVER bothered to ask anything at all! Got my new plate number, and could even get another one a month later. I never said a word... went to the next desk to pay, praying she would not see anything in the meantime and ..... OFF I went! Of course you don't feel very easy, but you are all true English!!!! While I had a french name on my identity papers! You risk ...nothing at all.

Last edited:
OP
OP
sally47
Apr 29, 2014
Warwickshire, UK
Funster No
MH
Chieftain
Exp
Since 2004
Thank you all yodeli spitfire and MUNCHIE hope to stay in touch

Jun 9, 2016
L'Isle Jourdain, 86150 France
Funster No
MH
C Class I think
Exp
Just bought an Eriba FT 580
Just a thought what if I transfer van to relative insure in their name and then say I borrow it off them I know only so many months abroad but we would return back here two or three times a year even to get it MOTD any thoughts

While this seems a good idea right now with the UK in the EU it would be a time-bomb once brexit happens. The issue is a little known rule that if you enter an EU member state from outside the EU in a vehicle that you do not own then it does not count as personal belongings and it must be declared. A recent case of someone falling foul of this was a chap who borrowed hist mate's car to go from Switzerland to Austria just for a morning visit. He was stopped at the border and had to pay a 20,000 Euro fine to avoid being kept in custody. He appealed all the way up to the European court (as it really is a ridiculous rule) but lost.

I'm about to import my van into France from Switzerland - I'll report back on the process which at the moment, after a visit to the Prefecture, appears to be reasonably simple. Famous last words maybe :whistle: .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back