1. MotorhomeFun The best Motorhome Club in the World

Register to remove adverts Register Here

Welcome to Motorhome Fun

MotorhomeFun is a large community of motorhome and touring enthusiasts. Our website is the busiest of its kind. It serves as a meeting place for thousands of members who share their knowledge of motorhomes and travel, as well as arrange rallies in the UK, Europe and beyond.

It's easy to join us and takes just a minute

Refurbishing old motorhomes

Discussion in 'MOTORHOME CHAT' started by Geordies, Jul 4, 2013.

1. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Just wondered how many people have refurbished an old MotorHome in order to customise it to their own specification?

I know many people self build based on panel vans, but is it a decent idea to go for an older coachbuilt motorhome, (making sure the mechanicals are sound of course), then gutting most if not all of the old habitation kit out and rebuilding the interior to your own spec. maybe using some of the old parts if they are up to it.

Geordies

2. Peter & Elaine

Peter & Elaine Funster

one word

DAMP

3. Geordies

Geordies Funster

As in all old motorhomes have damp, therefore not worth doing it, or, by doing it you will introduce damp?

4. vwalan

vwalan Funster

lots have removed the shells of a m,home from one chassis to another . in many cases rebuilding the outside is easy .
    the sandwich panels are the worse for probs with the panels bonding breaking down delamination is becoming a big problem on older vehicles .
    . ally skinned ones are easiest to fix .

5. Geordies

Geordies Funster

Didn't want to remove the shell from one vehicle to another, just looking at updating the habitation equipment on an existing vehicle.

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

It's something I have considered. My ideal layout would be a Hymer B584 however I can get a Hymer B544 much cheaper. I was thinking about doing the layout conversion myself. Updating the upholstery and fitting a modern Thetford toilet to replace the old one with the built in water tank.

I don't see any reason why it can't be done having done a couple of self builds now.

For example, I can pick up a 1993 low mileage B544 for around £7,000 but a 1995 B584 is over double that. A budget of £3,000 for the parts and labour plus £700 for reupholstering still saves me good money. I can pick up a 544 with under 50K miles on it whereas the only 584's I have seen reasonably cheap come with over 140K miles on them.

An example of what I was looking at

Last edited: Jul 4, 2013
  7. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

8. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi have a look
    http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/garage_vehicle.php?do=view_vehicle&id=173
    I did this one about 8 yrs ago, bought it knowing it was wet, not damp :BigGrin: though it was just open roof joints but turned out to need a complete new roof, gutting and completly renewing the insides. We used all the original cooker heater, boiler, sink etc, and made new furniture as well as reboarding etc, took two of us 3 weeks and cost around 2.5k
    Terry

9. vwalan

vwalan Funster

hi terry .i replaced the daylight roof on my trailer ..a roll of the roofing fibreglass was 175 quid plus vat .took about 500 rivets though . easy job done in half a day ..drill rivets around the u section edge gripper . remove u section caps roll back the roof cutting the sealer bond as we went . re bond then roll new roof out and into place . fit u section end caps re rivet .
    i was surprised but then it is a truck needs to be quick n easy repaired .
    even replacing side panels is just drill rivets .remove panel . replace glue refit new panel .paint to colour .

10. Terry

Terry Funster

Hi Alan we used 1mm ali sheets and paid a tenner extra per sheet for pre painted white :BigGrin: total cost inc new ali side trims was around 250 :thumb: plus we lipped the ali over the sides, not butted up to them which probably caused the problem in the first place:BigGrin:-- again done in a day.
    Terry

11. vwalan

vwalan Funster

i was going to use ally but the coach builders said better to stay with the daylight fibreglass as this doesnt transfer heat through so easily .that and white polystyrene as insulation to reflect any coming through makes a cool or warm trailer. i didnt know about this till they told me . always wondered why the truck is cool in the desert. the small windows help high up and chimney heat out as well.

12. hilldweller

hilldweller Funster

As in - damp is the worst thing that can happen to a timber framed MH and the older they are the more likely the chance.

Just be careful.