Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Mmmm tell you later @Forestboy
Is Camp Korana in the ACSI book? I don't find it easy to locate many sites from the book alone, I was using www last night but get confused easily.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
DSC_000001.JPG

Camping Village Simuni on Pag island

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Thanks, I've written another reply on my tablet but connection won't send, afraid it will vanish

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
Spirits lifted by yesterday's sunshine we woke to torrential rain and thunderstorms. Unfortunately Brian hadn't loaded the bikes last night. Never mind, take our time over breakfast and wait for storm to pass. Some long time later he dons his swimming shorts and goes out to load them, hoping for no more lightning.

The site at Senj looked dismal in the rain so we decided to carry on. The sun appeared for lunch in a lay-by on the D8. As has been said, the views from this road are spectacular. However only during this trip have I come to realise that Brian really doesn't do heights (we're second-time rounders) and is finding the roads stressful. So I suggested a change of plan, let's get the ferry to the island of Pag where I'd found a seemingly ideal site.

As we looped down down down to the ferry, I was praying it was running and was big enough to take motorhomes. I really don't think Brian could have driven back up and I was imagining grounds for divorce (and so soon). I felt quite sick but thankfully the ferry was waiting to whisk us across the water. We disembarked on the moon, well that's what it looked like but it was the dark side of Pag. The road was good and I could sense Brian relaxing. About 10 bikers from the ferry overtook us and disappeared round the bends. We were pleased to reach the fertile side of the island and Camping Village Simuni. Lovely.

Now the pitch-choosing ritual. How level is it, are the trees too low, is it sunny, is it too sunny, is there an ant's nest? Plenty to choose from, how hard can it be? Well it took nearly an hour and I could feel another divorce coming on. Finally settled on an almost beachfront pitch, 5 mins later another MH took the pitch in front (trees too low for us) and most of our view! Like an empty Aire when the only other MH snuggles right up close.

We're both loving Croatia but the roads really are a problem for Brian. Sadly I think this means we're unlikely to visit again so I want to see as much as possible while we're here.

We'll stay here for a couple of days, probably move to the free area, then head towards Split.

Karen

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
Thats a shame I wont recommend a few other places we've been then as the roads you're on are motorways by comparison.
We love high mountain passes and terrifying roads. Came down one on the motorbike the other day so narrow and steep I had arm pump.

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@Old age travellers
Hi guys Camping Korana is perfect for gate 1 at Plitvice free bus from site at 9am to gate 1
We stayed at Krk as well loved it.
RorynJan
Thanks Rory @Forestboy will head for there tomorrow, Monday weather looks to be OK for doing the lakes, then I think we are running out of time so may slowly head back to home to get ready for Spain at Christmas then onward to Marocco.
Steve

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Old age travellers we'd be interested to hear about your visit to the lakes.

@Forestboy we're loving the relaxation here at Simuni. I do have the ACSI map but I can't see Korana in the book, maybe because it doesn't do discount?
We'll be staying at Camp Strobec, is it easy to get into Split/Trogir using cycles or public transport? We assume you're now heading home :cry:
The terrifying roads would definitely not suit Brian, he does ride a motorbike but more for leisure than adrenaline. He recently bought a Kawasaki W800 (wannabe Bonneville).

Karen

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
@Old age travellers we'd be interested to hear about your visit to the lakes.

@Forestboy we're loving the relaxation here at Simuni. I do have the ACSI map but I can't see Korana in the book, maybe because it doesn't do discount?
We'll be staying at Camp Strobec, is it easy to get into Split/Trogir using cycles or public transport?
Karen
Hi Karen, @reckless , Korana does not do ACSI discount Camping Cheques only, 163 kun or 24 Eur which is a bad exchange rate, a night, it is open we are sitting having our lunch there now having arrived about an hour ago and the sun has just come out:) There is a free shuttle bus to the Plitvic lakes if you stay two nights? They say.
If you go to our Blog TheOldAgeTravellers.blogspot.com a little later you will find about our day yesterday at Krka NP when I get it written, but the rest of our travels in Croatia are there. Our visit tomorrow to Plitvic will be on there in a day or so. If you sign up in the box on the right you will be emailed the updates.
Camp Strobec Split it is easy to get into Split on the bus 13 kun each way go to the bus stop on the main road and there are more buses than the no. 25 they suggest in the office. I wouldn't like to do it on a push bike as it is a very busy main road, but there may be a way along the coast. The site is fine if you don't mind big regimented sites, 19 Eur with ACSI. The book says 16 but they add 3 a day for taxes and admin. A bit much I think.

Steve

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Old age travellers
Steve quite correct sorry.
There is an Acsi site there but its even further away from the site which was why we chose Korana. We only stayed 2 nights as well as it was expensive.

@reckless

As we use our motorbike I can't advise on local travel but Trogir would be too far and too dangerous a very busy main road.
Sorry

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi all,
We are doing Plitvic tomorrow and are looking on the map to see where else we should go while very slowly heading back to the South of France. Any suggestions? If we don't touch the motorways do we need a sticker or whatever they call it in Slovenia we came through at night with nothing. Supposedly less than 3.5 tonne like most French vans:LOL:
Is there anything we should be seeing in Slovenia? Would the Italian lakes be worth it so late in the season? Or should we just head for San Tropez and ogle the bikinis?
Steve

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Old age travellers
Hi Steve we've read your blog, very interesting and useful as we seem to be following in your footsteps, or tyre tracks.
The weather still hasn't been very kind, lots of heavy rain overnight but a whole sunny day today so we stayed put at Camp Strobec to enjoy it. We think this site is very expensive, probably wouldn't come here again.
We'll be heading for Krka tomorrow though I think rain's on its way so not sure what our visit to the park will be like.
We'll be reading the blog to find out what route you take home. We plan to go via Lake Garda.
We bought the vignette for Slovenia on our way down but will probably take a chance on the way back, it barely seems worth it.

Karen

OldAgeTravellers

LIFE MEMBER
Jan 6, 2014
Telford, UK
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 1970
Hi Karen @reckless ,
Kamp Krka at 13 Eur is cheap enough to stay a few days for the weather to change. Krka NP is a good warm up for Plitvicka which is absolutely amazing, I managed to get post 9 up about it if you haven't read it yet. We came in through Slovenia and out without Vignette but we didn't touch any motorways we went to see a small fortified church then before we knew it we were in Italy we crossed using a tiny white road and apart for a quizzical look and a glance at our passports were just nodded through, the weather wasn't good enough for Lake Garda so we bit the bullet and did motorway right across to Nice 60.30 Eur for 760km which I don't think is bad compared with the very slow national roads. And all done in one day hard driving.
Have fun,
Steve

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
That's a lot of driving, Steve @Old age travellers !
We moved to a site just north of Trogir - agree with you, what a lovely place.
This is a small site in a great location, plenty of pitches to choose from but very expensive for out of season, plus pay extra for WiFi and water too! We won't be staying a 2nd night but definitely moving to camp krka tomorrow, that sounds like a real bargain.
Karen

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Old age travellers
@Forestboy @Peter & Elaine

We're now sitting in a very wet and deserted Camp Krka. Just us and 2 caravans. The rain's set in for the weekend so wish we'd visited the park first and pitched up after, ready to move on tomorrow. One thing's for sure we'll be getting wet but at least the waterfalls should be in full flow.

Karen

Forestboy

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 31, 2007
Forest of Dean
Funster No
MH
A Class Hymer B694 tag
Exp
@Old age travellers
@Forestboy @Peter & Elaine

We're now sitting in a very wet and deserted Camp Krka. Just us and 2 caravans. The rain's set in for the weekend so wish we'd visited the park first and pitched up after, ready to move on tomorrow. One thing's for sure we'll be getting wet but at least the waterfalls should be in full flow.

Karen

Blimey you guys dont have much luck with the weather. Krka was so hot we couldn't sleep. Even Calais was bathed in sunshine Friday.
Shame you haven't seen Croatia at its best.
In 6 weeks we had rain 3 nights and rain 1 afternoon.
Enjoy

OP
OP
reckless
Sep 11, 2014
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
None
Exp
Since 2013
@Forestboy
Brian says......I can't tell you what he said but it was something about inserting something in your bottom! Nothing personal.
We haven't done a great deal of travelling yet and this is our longest trip but we dream of being so hot we can't sleep. Today is by far our worst weather day.

Ooh breaking news, another moho just arrived.

Karen

Aug 30, 2012
Home of the war horse
Funster No
MH
burstnar T640
Exp
@Forestboy
Brian says......I can't tell you what he said but it was something about inserting something in your bottom! Nothing personal.
We haven't done a great deal of travelling yet and this is our longest trip but we dream of being so hot we can't sleep. Today is by far our worst weather day.

Ooh breaking news, another moho just arrived.

Karen
load up for morocco with us lot after Christmas even your luck cant make it rain in the sharia desert

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back