Refrigerator help

Discussion in 'Fridges & Ovens' started by Southampton, Jul 30, 2012.

1. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Hi all, I need some help with my fridge not getting cold enough? I am in Croatia and the ambient temp is in the 34 degree area. The freezer compartment is keeping the food frozen but the normal compartment is not getting to a cool enough temp. The question is, does the fridge reduce the temp from ambient say -20 degs from ambient or should it achieve about 6-10 degrees no matter what the ambient temp is? I have checked the vents and there is good airflow. Any advice appreciated. Derek.

2. scousebird

scousebird Funster

We used to buy a bag of ice from the supermarket and put it in the bowl part at the bottom of the fridge, use the ice in drinks, put bottles & cans etc. in there with it. It would last a couple of days and worked quite well, just remember to empty any water out! :BigGrin:

3. Gromett

Gromett Funster

Depends on the fridge. Some condenser fridges only work down to a certain level below ambient. Compressor fridges generally work to a target temp irrespective of ambient.

4. aba

aba

5. Southampton

Southampton Funster Life Member

Thanks, it is an Absorption fridge whatever that means. I guess it is something below ambient. Anyway will put a pack of ice in as suggested and see what that does. Thanks everybody......Derek

6. Gromett

Gromett Funster

I meant absorption not condenser:Doh:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Absorption_refrigerator

Just did a quick search and found the following posts/links

http://dirtvan.wordpress.com/refrigeration/
    Fans...
    95F is 35C so sounds about right there.

7. JJ

JJ Funster

I too have had a struggling fridge with the same thing happening... cold freezer, not so cold remainder... (even with twin fan blowers helping.)

The ice idea definitely works for me... but buying it can be quite expensive and it isn't always readily available.

... Our plan on our forth coming trip is to make our own ice in the (small) Engle "super" fridge (compressor) and use that ice to assist the much larger Hymer fridge (absorption) in its duties... :thumb:

JJ :Cool: