Reflective Jackets France

Discussion in 'Continental Touring' started by StAubyns, Oct 29, 2008.

1. StAubyns

StAubyns Read Only Funster

My niece, who lives in France, says that from the 1st October 2008, the French Police are fining motorists if they do not have at least 1 reflective jacket in the car where it can easily be reached before getting out of the car.

They are also checking for warning triangles and spare bulbs.

In the area around Lyon where she lives the fines are €138 for no jacket plus a further €138 for no triangle/spare bulbs

2. stagman

stagman Deleted User

You can pick up a jacket for less than £3 in the markets and no need to pay more than £5 for a triangle less than a tenner for bulbs Daffs I like best ,so no excuse.

3. JayDee

JayDee Funster

At the RoSPA group I go to (North Devon RoADAR) our president, MPS (Motor Police Sergeant) Bob Lee, advised us that the French now want the high vis jackets to be sleeved coats. He didn't have any further details at that time; from the above post it seems they're not being insistant - yet!

John

4. yodeli

yodeli Funster Life Member

That's true !AND... even if you have the jacket IN your car but you forgot to put it ON when getting out of the car, in case of breakdown (especially on motorways),you'll be fined just the same!!!

So carefull!!!

Amicalement
    Frankie:Smile:

5. Jim

Jim Ringleader

You need a hi-viz jacket for every passenger, and you need to keep these inside the motorhome. Stepping outside to retrieve the jackets from an outside locker will result in the same fine as if you did not have them.

An article in the telegraph last week is worth reading

Don't Mess With The French Police

6. Wildman

Wildman Read Only Funster

From a recent post I read, not sure where the requirement is for a specific type of reflective coat and marked EU with the particular referance/standard number. Maybe someone can find the referance

7. madbluemad

madbluemad

We keep our high vis jackets slung over the back of our seats and the warning triangles behind the drivers seat. Always at hand. Just as a side issue. Apart from it being the law its also a very very good idea. Your a lot safer on the road with these than without them.

Cheers

Jim :Smile:

Just to add, Dont Mess With Anybodies Police !!!!

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  8. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

i know this is a very serious post Jim but i just cant take the gendarme in the photo seriously...........has he parked THUNDERBIRD 2 just out of shot. :Rofl1::Rofl1: frenchPolice1_1008771c (Large).jpg

9. Stephen & Jeannie

Stephen & Jeannie Read Only Funster

re. the french police, FULL MARKS to them, the sooner our police have the same powers the better ! just look at all the joy riders, young drivers speeding etc. need i go on, i know that this will upset a lot of people but only because they are scared of being caught and paying the consequences ! :Eeek:

10. yodeli

:Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1::Rofl1:

Nothing more to add!!!

Amicalement

11. Jim

Jim Ringleader

I'm with you there John:Rofl1:

Attached Files:

12. JayDee

JayDee Funster

I remember reading that somewhere too.
    Too picky by far - I reckon getting everybody to carry them is a pretty damn good achievement so let them not be sniffy about the size of the buttons, the colour of the ribbons, is the lining satin or poly and whether there's a secret pocket for your wallet.:Rofl1:

John:BigGrin:

13. JayDee

JayDee Funster

I've just found this
    Warning triangle and high-vis jackets required: This French Life

this
    Rules on warning triangle and high-vis jackets enforced: This French Life

and this
    http://************************/forum-printtopic-1-49385-0-0-asc-viewresult-1.html
    Ah! well that seems to be prohibited. They - the other lot - don't want us sharing, but if you do a Google search on "Hi visibilty jackets in France" all the references I quoted here are there.

also this, though we may need some help from Frankie
    Le site de la Sécurité Routière - Gilet et triangle de présignalisation

Don't know how one can tell if ones gilet conforms or not.

John

Last edited: Oct 29, 2008
  14. acko

acko Deleted User

You'd take him seriously if he stopped you. The Gendarmes aren't as genial as British police. The worst thing you can do with them is try and argue a point. If he tells you you were breaking the law, you were breaking the law and that's all there is to it. You'd be surprised how many more laws you can break if you argue or if he thinks you're not taking him seriously.

15. pappajohn

pappajohn Funster Life Member

all this is very true acko but he still looks like a refugee from Tracey island :Rofl1:

16. Forestboy

Forestboy Funster Life Member

More European Rules being Enforced on us !!!!! No Thanks

I'm obviously the voice in the wilderness but;

I hope this does'nt become law here although I suppose it wll. I am sick and fed up of living in a Nanny State where the freedom of choice is being constantly eroded away. As usual the justification is Health & Safety because of course we're not capable of making a sensible decision for our selves are we.

I like most was taught how to cross the road and respect the dangers of traffic as a child and have'nt forgotten those lessons. I am hardly likely to play chicken with traffic and if I was some poxy yellow jacket won't save me, or anyone else who does want to play chicken.

I do carry yellow jackets in Europe because I'm a law abiding citizen not because I agree with stupid laws made by faceless idiots in Brussel's or London for that matter.

Sorry Rant Over :Eeek:
    No offense meant :thumb:

17. yodeli

Hi Jaydee!

Well, i read the whole thing on the 2 sites you gave the links to... there nothing much to add. You just need to see CE written on the jacket. It must be yellow or orange with 2 reflecting strips on each side(front/behind). The sleeves are not compulsary...and that's it!:Smile::Wink:

Amicalement

18. JayDee

JayDee Funster

Thanks Frankie. Most helpful:BigGrin:

John

19. yodeli

Hi Forestboy!

I know nothing about the other europeens' behaviour but i have to say it: French are just little brats!!! no matter health or security, they just want (well most of them, and i do admit that sometimes i happen to be one of them:Blush:....hum... very few times...:Blush:)to do what they want. These last 5 years all sorts of laws have been voted in order to change they behaviour and ...it worked!
    I do understand what you mean, a jacket won't save if you are stupid and silly. But if you are a reasonnable person AND you wear your jacket when breakingdown, perhaps you'll have a chance to survive if a stupid/silly/drunk driver recognizes the jacket(not the reasonnable person you are) and avoid you . It won't be "intelligence" it will just be "habit"
    I don't know if my english is good enough for you to get what i mean! Hope so!:Wink:

Amicalement

20. Beachbum

Beachbum Read Only Funster

I think you will find on the continent you MUST have 2 jackets and 2 Triangles. Like Jim says, the more passengers you carry the more jackets required. That is what I am given to understand. Or am I wrong???