Lumbago

Free Member
Feb 7, 2009
Stratford Upon Avon
Funster No
MH
Winnebago
Exp
When refilling a habitation fixed gas tank on a Winnebago RV, I've heard that I should open the overflow gas valve which is situated near the filler cap, and wait until liquid gas comes out. When the liquid gas comes out it is full. Is this necessary and correct as it appears to waste gas? Thanks for your help.

madbluemad

Banned
Jan 26, 2008
spain
Funster No
MH
just looking
Exp
since 1980
It most definitely doesn't seem right to me. The pump will automatically switch itself off when the tank is full.
Jim
:Smile:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
It is not absolutely necessary but is advised as it guarantees you won't overfill in the event of the auto shut off valve failing ..

you only need to 'crack' open .. the gas lost is negligible ..

Put it another way, it is the ONLY fail safe way of knowing when your tank is 80% full.

Overfilling is potentially lethal if liquid LPG enters the take off line to the RV appliances.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Brian and Jo

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 24, 2007
oswestry,shropshire
Funster No
MH
A-Class N+B Arto 88F
Exp
Been motorhoming for 15yrs.had an American RV for 7yrs,Now got a Niesmann Bischoff Arto 88F
gas

It is not absolutely necessary but is advised as it guarantees you won't overfill in the event of the auto shut off valve failing ..

Put it another way, it is the ONLY fail safe way of knowing when your tank is 80% full.

Overfilling is potentially lethal if liquid LPG enters the take off line to the RV appliances.

thanks for that jim,didnt know that,i just fill until the pump gun knocks itself off.i just thought that was the way to do it:Doh: u learn something every day:thumb: regards brian jo and josh

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
I was aware of this but ours is shut tight and I'm a bit concerened at attacking it with tools so tend to rely on the fill shut off and watching the guage, I know where it reads when full so as long as it shuts off at the usual point I'm happy, mind you I'm also aware how unreliable these guages can be:Doh:

motor roamin

Funster
May 23, 2010
Leicester
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
2 mins

100% correct Guages and cut off valves can be so far out I wouldn't trust them.

I think I posted this on RVOC some months ago in depth.

All the best Rick.

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
I always fill until the pump kicks and then check the valve, on three RVs have never seen liguid gas appear but better safe than sorry.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
As per instructions I slightly open the relief valve on the house tank until the lpg bubbles out,now that seems logical to me but why is there no need to do that when filling the running(engine) tanks.
Just curious.

Regards,John P.:thumb:

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Different system it draws liquid gas although engine tanks still only fill to 80%

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Different system it draws liquid gas although engine tanks still only fill to 80%

Hi Larry,I understand there are two systems but its still Lpg going into a tank,on the house tank we have a pressure relief valve that we either open it or leave it closed and rely on the pump to shut off but on the running tanks we all rely on the pump to shut off at 80%.I'm just curious why there does'nt seem to be a safety device on the running tanks as there clearly is on the house tank.
One of lifes mysteries I suppose,just think of the fun we could have debating this issue over loads of Boddingtons Bitter !!!!!!!!:roflmto:

Regards, john P:thumb:

Oct 15, 2007
Five Roads Alyth
Funster No
MH
A class RV
Exp
since 2005
Just a thought but, vehicle tanks are often inside the vehicle so the Yank bleed valve would be a tad dangerous?

Feb 22, 2008
Norfolk
Funster No
MH
Nearly Tugging
Exp
Since 2004
Don't need a bleed valve on engine supply tanks as the system draws off liquid unlike the domestic tank which supplies gas from the liquid.

pappajohn

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 26, 2007
Dark side of the moon
Funster No
Exp
Since 2005
my thoughts on this overfilling engine tanks malarky......

if you should overfill, it wont have time to expand as you'll use a hell of a lot in a short time and soon get back to 80% full. :roflmto:

damondunc

Funster
Aug 2, 2007
near Lincoln
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
refilling rv domestic tanks

up to 1996 it was not a legal requirement in the usa to have an auto stop filler fitted (similar to a toilet cistern valve) which is designed to stop the lpg filling the tank at 80% liquid capacity. there are loads of older rv's around that have the potential to be overfilled!
there are various saftey devices fitted to rv tanks:
(1)the red needle type sight guage which shows from E to F (f is 80% full) if you look carefully past the F mark you should see 85% and 90%.
(2) the small brass valve next to the filler (80% valve) when filling the idea is to have the valve slightly open and when the tank is full to safe capacity the jet of vapour will turn to a white jet of liquid. then stop filling and tighten the valve.
(3) an asme auto stop valve which should stop the filling of the tank automatically at 80% capacity.
the only problem with this is on early rv's when filling in a petrol station if you open the 80% valve you will end up having a pool of lpg vapour around the rv, lpg vapour is much heavier than air and on a day that is not windy it will just sit there.
you should try to use at least two of these safety devices when filling always keep an eye on the red needle.
if the tank is accidentaly overfilled there are saftey valves in all american tanks that will vent the excess pressurised lpg to atmosphere, some are in the base of the tank with a small rubber bung in the end some are part of the stopcock valve (mainly on early ones).
The real danger of overfilling an lpg tank is the potential of getting liquid lpg into the regulator. and believe me you don't want that to happen. The reason for 80% safe capacity is to allow for heat expansion, if you overfill the tank on a cool evening and then park up on a warm day the safety valve will almost certainly open venting lpg.
Dunc.

johnpengers

Free Member
Nov 7, 2009
Somerset.
Funster No
MH
Concorde Liner
Exp
since 2005
Thank you Duncan,thats all I wanted to know !!!!!

Many Thanks John P,:thumb:

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back