Refilling Gaslow Bottles .. problem filling at Shell station . (1 Viewer)

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
i always knew it as the Italian dish.
back in the seventies it was usually italian dish or the acme thread.
calor still use the acme thread on their lpg house tanks .
think that works a treat.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
Today I have done my second gas refill of my Gasit bottles and I have one large 11 Kgs and one small 6 Kgs one.

My query is this. When you connect to an English bayonet pump there is an immediate sound of gas movement. What is this noise? Is it the pump pressurising? But at that point all you have done is lock the pipe to the filler on the van - surely the pressurising should only happen when you hit the black button to fill your bottles.

The sound is like what gas you have left is leaving your bottles.

On our holiday I emptied the 11 Kgs bottle and some of the 6 Kgs. My fill today was 23.92 litres which I think equates to 11.96 Kgs for the princely sum of £12.18p which is about one third of the Calor price.

Just trying to get to know the system and get comfortable with filling it!

Bobby22

Free Member
Dec 15, 2013
Scotland
Funster No
MH
Rapido 680ff
Exp
since 2013
Today I have done my second gas refill of my Gasit bottles and I have one large 11 Kgs and one small 6 Kgs one.

My query is this. When you connect to an English bayonet pump there is an immediate sound of gas movement. What is this noise? Is it the pump pressurising? But at that point all you have done is lock the pipe to the filler on the van - surely the pressurising should only happen when you hit the black button to fill your bottles.

The sound is like what gas you have left is leaving your bottles.

On our holiday I emptied the 11 Kgs bottle and some of the 6 Kgs. My fill today was 23.92 litres which I think equates to 11.96 Kgs for the princely sum of £12.18p which is about one third of the Calor price.

Just trying to get to know the system and get comfortable with filling it!
The noise you hear is the gas pressure in your own bottles trying to get out, as you lock on the seal stops any more leak/noise.

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
The noise you hear is the gas pressure in your own bottles trying to get out, as you lock on the seal stops any more leak/noise.
It will only be the gas in the hose between your bottles and the filler, the bottles have a one way valve in them so gas can't escape.

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
i always knew it as the Italian dish.
back in the seventies it was usually italian dish or the acme thread.
calor still use the acme thread on their lpg house tanks .
think that works a treat.
The Acme thread and the dish are different the Acme is used in Germany.

Badknee

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 25, 2014
notloB
Funster No
MH
Vantage Neo
Exp
Living the dream.
For cheaper refills try to find where the private hire lads fill up, here in notloB Shell were on 62p a litre and I got it for 48p.

Abacist

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 15, 2013
Devon
Funster No
MH
N & B Arto 88F Tag
Exp
since 2013
For cheaper refills try to find where the private hire lads fill up, here in notloB Shell were on 62p a litre and I got it for 48p.
Mine was just over 50p per litre at Trago Mills, Newton Abbot, who supply FloGas.

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
Yes.. and yesterday I was reminded of one of @Snowbird 's posts ... I always hold the tube far back as I release the handle ... yesterday the jet of gas shot back about 12ins to my hand and burnt it .. will never make that mistake again.. much further jet than normal. :(
I use a glove now :eek:

Emmit

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 14, 2009
Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Pilote Explorateur
Exp
Jan.2014
Apologies,
Just come back to this thread and noticed that I didn't thank those who responded to my cry for help re the 'Dish' Adaptor.
Good news is that my 'Card' was declined by fleabay when trying to buy the adaptor kit and I had to pay for it with Paypal.
It was then that I discovered that there was credit on the account which is in US Dollars. With the recent fall in the Pound, I was Quids in.

Jan 31, 2016
Alness, Cromarty Firth
Funster No
MH
Hymer B544 (2012)
Exp
I fitted my own LPG bottles and had exactly the same problem, I was convinced I had done something wrong and got quite paranoid about it, till I tried another place and hey presto it all worked out !

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
The Acme thread and the dish are different the Acme is used in Germany.
i know the acme was used in uk for years . been using it here since the 70,s myself . the cup was known as the italian cup.
the acme is still used in uk on domestic or commercial tanks . got one here .
i meant on the other post to say every where you went it was either the acme thread or in france and italy and portugal the cup.
i found the acme used in spain . but there wasnt many places then . a few taxi garages used it but usually had to go to the big factory filling stations .

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back