Refilling free standing cylinders (1 Viewer)

Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi I hate to say "told you so" but Countrywide have just sent me a safety notice, saying that due to an accident, the refilling of free standing cylinders using an adaptor is nolonger allowed.

The notice has a picture of a modern "A" class with fire damage up the side, they don't say what happened.

Olley

Last edited:

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Suffolk Coastal District, UK
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Olley

thanks for posting the picture .. it looks like the adaptor has failed .. more information would have been helpful, the one's sold on ebay are made up from two fittings, unlike the proprietory adaptors for filling fixed tanks and Gaslow cylinders.. either way, a salutary warning to all of us who fill bottles in or near or vans using this type of adaptor..

jim

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
with out further info its hard to understand what happened i would have thought accidents can happen with the standard fill adapters as well . does it really make a differance, if the filler is fitted to the van n bottle clamped down its all joined with adapters. think beware this is all to be done with care n attention is what needs to be used here. looks like gas was leaking n caught fire due to fridge vents being close .bet they take more care in the future.hope its not going to happen to me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
with out further info its hard to understand what happened i would have thought accidents can happen with the standard fill adapters as well . does it really make a differance, if the filler is fitted to the van n bottle clamped down its all joined with adapters. think beware this is all to be done with care n attention is what needs to be used here. looks like gas was leaking n caught fire due to fridge vents being close .bet they take more care in the future.hope its not going to happen to me.

Hi Alan

Filling a bottle in a locker definitely increases the risk of an accident no matter what adaptor you're using .. as you know, when you disconnect there is a woosh of gas .. which on a normal lpg tank isn't an issue as they are usually underslung with plenty of free space around.

The problem is, that many (most) garages won't allow you to fill a bottle on the forecourt so people fill covertly .. in car boots, back of estate cars or in lockers which is inherently more dangerous ..

jim

OP
OP
olley
Jul 29, 2007
Ipswich
Funster No
MH
RV and PVC
Exp
30 years
Hi Jim one the problems I see with these adaptors is the lack of a non-return valve, overfill the bottle and forget to close the valve on the top, and when you take the filler off you have liquid gas blasting out, which might be what happened here.

Olley

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
Timberland
Hi Jim one the problems I see with these adaptors is the lack of a non-return valve, overfill the bottle and forget to close the valve on the top, and when you take the filler off you have liquid gas blasting out, which might be what happened here.

Olley

Hi Olley .. quite possibly .. however there were two different adaptors on ebay , one fitted with a non return valve the other not .. but both types are 'home made' by joining two or three components ..

type one .. Bayonet adaptor + propane bottle adaptor screwed together.
type two .. same as type one with a non return valve between the bayonet and bottle adaptor ..

as far as I know neither are supplied with a certificate, the one I borrow has a non return valve but I certainly wouldn't trust it .. if you look closely, the valve in your picture looks incomplete, it doesn't show the bottle end .. which led me to conclude it had failed

jim

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
its very unfortunate that as humans we make mistakes . someone did there. the filling of bottles is just the same in a bottle filling plant there is still no non return valve. there is alot more gas around to catch fire though so the operator takes more care . i hope. even blowing up tyres is a life threatening experiance if you have ever seen one explode while being pumped up. i worked for michelin for awhile you should have seen some of their pics of mistakes. life n living needs lots of thought before we do it , but sometimes we dont think.

vwalan

Funster
Sep 23, 2008
roche cornwall
Funster No
MH
lynton5th wheel
Exp
since a child
hi , looks like may be the bottle fell over n broke the adapter.

JeanLuc

Free Member
Nov 17, 2008
Warwickshire
Funster No
MH
Hymer B630 Star-Line
Exp
Since 2007
I received the same bulletin from Countrywide and was about to post the same picture. I have a Galsow system and have no experience of bottle adapters (neither have I any plans to use them). However, close inspection of the picture of the burnt Hymer reveals a black Gaslow filling point just behind the gas locker door, and below the side repeater light. So I wonder why they were filling a free-standing cylinder? Or perhaps the picture does not in fact represent the "recent incident" referred to in the bulletin, but was used to demonstrate a point?

I am no expert, but it looks to me as though something went wrong with the fridge, or the fridge was running when LPG was escaping from a nearby source and caused it to ignite. Surely one would not refill either a Gaslow, fixed tank or loose bottle with the main valve open, let alone whilst gas appliances were in use.

Still - a timely reminder of the risks of re-filling loose bottles.

Philip

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back