Refillable Lpg, Manual Or Auto Changeover? (1 Viewer)

Feb 27, 2011
UK
Funster No
MH
Self Build
Exp
Since 2005
I was using a single Gaslow bottle until earlier this year. As a fulltimer who tends to stay off campsites (mostly) I do use a lot of gas in the winter. Usually 11KG per week in the really bad weather. I have just added a second Gasit bottle and went for the auto change over.

My thinking is as follows. In the winter when my usage is extremely predictable I will have it on Auto so that I don't need to get out when it is cold/wet etc. I will then fill up every 10 days or so. I once came back from the pub in the middle of winter to find my fresh water had dumped due to the heating going off in a particularly bad patch of weather. Not fun having to swap cylinders, fill up fresh water tank and wait for the van to warm up when drunk and very cold.

In the summer my gas can last from any from 3 weeks to 3 months depending on the temp outside. I currently have the second bottle switched off. I will fill the primary bottle when I feel I have used a fair bit. However if I leave it too long I know I have a bottle in reserve and will get a good warning.

So basically winter I will use auto, summer I will use it in manual mode. Best of both worlds.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
Where did you end up putting your filler Jim?
in the skirt.. some photos on the thread http://www.motorhomefun.co.uk/forum...ble-lpg-bottles-in-a-hymer-b644.106145/page-4

save you searching ..

dscf1311-jpg.59416

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
My last van had a bottle top regulator on each bottle with the outlets connected to a T makes a cheap manual changeover & you have a spare regulator if one fails.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Hi, I know this is a thread resurrection but I have just fitted a Gaslow twin bottle system and I have a few questions. Firstly when i fill them do i need to do anything or will it just fill both bottles automatically and secondly I have a 11kg and a 6kg bottle would I be better setting the bottle selector to the larger bottle ?
I have a auto change over valve fitted. Thankyou.

Sep 3, 2012
Cheshire
Funster No
MH
C Class Elddis 175
Exp
8+ years
Just close the bottle valves and fill, they will both fill up. We have 2x 6kg bottles and keep one closed until I see the gauge c

hanging from green, if we are then out on the road, look to refill. We use on average 1 litre of gas a day, that's what we bank on using, fridge, cooker and only hot water for a shower, any hot water for washing up etc is from the kettle, gas. If I had a larger bottle, I would be tempted to use that first and top up as and when, I doubt if you do that you won't turn on the 6kg bottle, unless you are based on a site for 3 weeks plus. (y)
Ps we also use a thermos type jug for surplus hot water. OK for washing up etc.

Aerialmark

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 13, 2018
Burnley
Funster No
MH
Knaus/Weinsburgh
Exp
I'm new to it
Thanks for that Jim, just what i needed to know. Take care fella (y)

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back