LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
hi
I've just come to fit my two gas it bottles complete with external fill point. Now my external fill point is one of the removable 90 degree types as this suited my installation better. I positioned the external fill point in the side skirt and measured it such that I could use a fill bracket to make it sturdier if need be.

Everything went great right up until I came to fit the refill pipe. Now the hole in the gas locker and the 90 degree on the fill are about an inch apart and as the fill point is so close to the gas locker the pipe won't bend to fit

So I could move the fill point but then I'll have a hole in the skirt to show how stupid I am. Or I need some form of dog leg fitting to go between pipe and fill point.

What thread is on the fill points? Is this the 21.8 lh I here about? Maybe I could fit a t piece and blank off the unused bit of the t .

Anyone help before I have to own up to the wife I cut the hole in the wrong place ?...

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Put another hole in the gas cupboard floor?

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
image.jpeg

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
The hole is in the gas cupboard side wall and is as close to the edge as I can get.

I suppose I could buy a fill hose with a 90 degree end to it and swap my angled fill point for a straight one. Looks like that would do it. £50 mistake though. Suppose I could sell the other ones though

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Can you not put another hole here?
image_20170115115741519.jpg

sallylillian

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 29, 2011
Falmouth, Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Palace Liner 90LO
Exp
So you want 2 x 90degree bends, or speak to GASit and they may make you a custom pipe? Or turn the brass elbow 90 degrees clockwise and refit, should use same screw fixing, then a pipe with a 90 elbow instead of straight??

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
It really depends on how long your hose is ...

I you have excess pipe length then turn the fill point 90 degrees and put a large loop in the pipe then connect it up, alternatively you could loosen the filler, fit the pipe then re-tighten the filler so long as it all goes back okay without undue strain on the fittings. If not then put a hole in the bottom of the gas locker and then turn the filler a quarter towards the direction of the 'camera' and fit that way.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
the picture is a little deceiving. the fill pipe needs to be 1 inch more towards the skirt which it cant go as im already at the front face of the gas locker. It looks like boringfrog has a simple solution but its an illusion if idid tha id be two inches away . the pipe really needs to move 1 inch lower in the pic. or alternatively the fill port grow an inch if that makes sense.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
the picture is a little deceiving. the fill pipe needs to be 1 inch more towards the skirt which it cant go as im already at the front face of the gas locker. It looks like boringfrog has a simple solution but its an illusion if idid tha id be two inches away . the pipe really needs to move 1 inch lower in the pic. or alternatively the fill port grow an inch if that makes sense.

So if I understand you correctly putting the hole directly in line with the filler connection would still mean that the pipe couldn't be bent sufficiently to meet up. How long is the pipe and could you do as I suggested earlier?

image.jpeg

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
If all else fails move the filler to the correct location and buy a couple of large orange reflectors, one to cover the mistake and the other in the same position on the other side and hope the wife doesn't notice ....

Aug 18, 2014
Lorca,Murcia,Spain
Funster No
MH
Transit PVC
Exp
16 years since restarting
Slot the existing hole right through the metal frame (?) towards the front. Or a sminxy said if hose is long enough turn fitting down or up & drag out the excess hose & make a loop .

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Link Removed

Link Removed

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
So if I understand you correctly putting the hole directly in line with the filler connection would still mean that the pipe couldn't be bent sufficiently to meet up. How long is the pipe and could you do as I suggested earlier?

View attachment 141960
Yes. The hole is actually directly in line with the fill adaptor. Just an inch above it. The hose isn't long enough to loop but I think it would be much better to buy a new straight fill point and a fill hose with a 90 degree end . More expensive I agree but I'm guessing it will be a permanent fixture for quite a few years so maybe better to do it right now or I'll be forever thinking I bodged it

Jul 13, 2008
Funster No
MH
Low profile
Exp
Since 2007
Another thought too. If you're running gas pipes though any holes it might be a good idea to use a @Gromett to stop the pipe "chaffing".

sorry @Gromett ;)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Yes. The hole is actually directly in line with the fill adaptor. Just an inch above it. The hose isn't long enough to loop but I think it would be much better to buy a new straight fill point and a fill hose with a 90 degree end . More expensive I agree but I'm guessing it will be a permanent fixture for quite a few years so maybe better to do it right now or I'll be forever thinking I bodged it
Or just turn the filler down, get a longer hose and put a loop in. This would also mean that if any grubby stuff is in the lpg it would settle at the bottom of the loop too.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Another thought too. If you're running gas pipes though any holes it might be a good idea to use a @Gromett to stop the pipe "chaffing".

sorry @Gromett ;)
Good point I'll google some to see where I'd get one from. I have a 29mm hole that the pipe only just fits through so can't imagine it moving much but I see your point

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Or just turn the filler down, get a longer hose and put a loop in. This would also mean that if any grubby stuff is in the lpg it would settle at the bottom of the loop too.
Another good idea but then the loop would be dangling down near the road .

I appreciate all the comments though as it's making me think . Just goes to show one small mistake causes no end of problems

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Good point I'll google some to see where I'd get one from. I have a 29mm hole that the pipe only just fits through so can't imagine it moving much but I see your point
Alternatively use sealant to make a 'grommet' as this will also keep it from moving about too.

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Another good idea but then the loop would be dangling down near the road .

I appreciate all the comments though as it's making me think . Just goes to show one small mistake causes no end of problems
... this is a fine example of what happens when (some) men do DIY .... :rofl:

Dec 12, 2010
Cumbria
Funster No
MH
C Class
Exp
since 2011
I'd do similar to what Minxsy suggests, turn the fitting 180° and fit a longer hose with a loop in it, you could put a saddle clamp over it like the electrical cables that are fastened to the floor in your pic. Fitting extra elbows on to that type of fitting might be a nightmare to seal or line up as they are designed as taper seating closures, not thread sealing types.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
I'd do similar to what Minxsy suggests, turn the fitting 180° and fit a longer hose with a loop in it, you could put a saddle clamp over it like the electrical cables that are fastened to the floor in your pic. Fitting extra elbows on to that type of fitting might be a nightmare to seal or line up as they are designed as taper seating closures, not thread sealing types.

I have the saddle clamps too. So maybe a cheaper option to buy a longer fill hose. Any idea how much longer I'd need to form the loop ? I currently have .75m which is just long enough to reach as shown n pic . I'm thinking of 1.5 m to make sure it's long enough to form the loop. Does that sound right?

I've emailed gas it as well

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Reverse engineer it. Disconnect the hose, turn the fitting 180°, connect the hose to the fitting, put in a loop and see how much hose you have left when it reaches the hole you made. (y)
Your far to clever for me . Never thought of that sitting in my nice warm living room. I'll take a look when it's light.

Dorset wanderer

Free Member
Oct 9, 2016
Blandford Forum
Funster No
MH
Geist Liberty Low Profile
Exp
since 2007
Can you turn it upside down and then use two 90 degree f/m elbows, job done

Lenny HB

LIFE MEMBER
Oct 18, 2007
On the coast in West Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B678 DL
Exp
Since 2008 & many years tugging
We have all done things like that for the sake of peace of mind and a few quid you know it makes sense to do it properly.

I have the saddle clamps too. So maybe a cheaper option to buy a longer fill hose. Any idea how much longer I'd need to form the loop ? I currently have .75m which is just long enough to reach as shown n pic . I'm thinking of 1.5 m to make sure it's long enough to form the loop. Does that sound right?
Problem is if the hose is too long very difficult to loose the excess as the hoses are so stiff.

OP
OP
G

Gazza333

LIFE MEMBER
Sep 8, 2013
Staffordshire
Funster No
MH
Rollerteam 695
Exp
Well I purchased a longer fill hose. Turned the fitting 180 degrees and made a nice loop secured to the underfloor. All looks great now. Just need to fill up now to do final check

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Well I purchased a longer fill hose. Turned the fitting 180 degrees and made a nice loop secured to the underfloor. All looks great now. Just need to fill up now to do final check
Where's the photos then! :D

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back