Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
If you can get a larger 11kg bottle in that will give you nearly the same amount of gas as 2 x 6kg bottles and as a single larger bottle is only a little bit dearer than a single smaller one quite a bit of saving to be had (probably at least £100 compared to getting 2 small ones) if you can get a larger one in.

We've had a single 11kg bottle now for over 6 years and have never run out, ever, but as we now go on longer holidays 6/7 weeks at a time, and managed to get a smaller Gaslow bottle for £50 recently I'm putting that in too, it just means that if we get settled somewhere where gas is scarce or we don't want to travel for a while, we don't need to worry about running out.

There are lots of 'stories' about being refused to fill up if your fill point is inside the gas locker but we've never been refused, either here or abroad.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
If you can get a larger 11kg bottle in that will give you nearly the same amount of gas as 2 x 6kg bottles and as a single larger bottle is only a little bit dearer than a single smaller one quite a bit of saving to be had (probably at least £100 compared to getting 2 small ones) if you can get a larger one in.

We've had a single 11kg bottle now for over 6 years and have never run out, ever, but as we now go on longer holidays 6/7 weeks at a time, and managed to get a smaller Gaslow bottle for £50 recently I'm putting that in too, it just means that if we get settled somewhere where gas is scarce or we don't want to travel for a while, we don't need to worry about running out.

There are lots of 'stories' about being refused to fill up if your fill point is inside the gas locker but we've never been refused, either here or abroad.
Thanks Mel. Looks like I will have to phone Swift and ask them what the locker size is (y)

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Since 1996, had Elddis/Swift/Rapido/Rimor/Chausson MHs. Autocruise/Globecar PVCs/Compactline i-138
Thanks Mel. Looks like I will have to phone Swift and ask them what the locker size is (y)
I wouldn't bother as they'll just tell you what it will take, they won't have the measurements.

The only sure way is to wait until you've got the MH and then check it yourself. Our previous PVC (Autocruise Accent) had a gas locker that was only supposed to take 2 x 6kg cylinders - the manufacturer would have told me that nothing bigger than the 6kg would fit if I'd bothered to ask the size (due to the size of the aperture) and on the face of it they were correct.

However as I already had an 11kg refillable bottle I had nothing to lose by trying ... so by removing the plastic push-in trim round the locker aperture and a bit of 'manipulation' of the bottle with a lump hammer to reduce the bottom support stand width by a couple of mm, I could just squeeze it in. I had looked into getting 2 x 6kg refillables to replace my existing 11kg one but I'm glad I waited as it saved me a lot of dosh!

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
gasit meter not very reliable...it shows full for ages and then descends very quickly! No probs with a twin bottle installation, but in Spain where stations few and far between you can get caught out.
have always had exterior fillers so never had a problem...

Just fitted a Gas It twin 11kg kit with exterior filler. 80% protection worked at first fill, but gauges both read empty. Bottles appear to be heavy enough to have gas in them though. There is a wee note stuck to the bottle stating that the gauge isn't accurate, and reading empty when full proves that !!!!
Have filler adapter for France when we head on Thursday . Yippppeeeee!

have heard of this before and cant remember where..tap with a hammer? or better still call gasit! what worries me is both bottles reading empty? to much of a coincidence for there not to be something wrong?

Aug 28, 2014
Dorset (expat Oxonian)
Funster No
MH
van conversion
Exp
since 2011
I fitted twin Gas It, 11kg system with auto changeover valve 18months ago, came with all the European adapters, internal filler point,, ( didn't want to drill into my brand new van), leak check fluid, took 2hrs to fit and has been a blessing, particularly in France and Spain where there are plenty of LPG garages.
Bought on line, delivered next day for about half the price of GasLo.
Yes, the gauges do occasionally get stuck on refill, but soon recovers on going over Pot Holes!!!
Really helpful company to phone, with queries.
Have saved a fortune, it must have paid for its self by now. :)

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
I fitted twin Gas It, 11kg system with auto changeover valve 18months ago, came with all the European adapters, internal filler point,, ( didn't want to drill into my brand new van), leak check fluid, took 2hrs to fit and has been a blessing, particularly in France and Spain where there are plenty of LPG garages.
Bought on line, delivered next day for about half the price of GasLo.
Yes, the gauges do occasionally get stuck on refill, but soon recovers on going over Pot Holes!!!
Really helpful company to phone, with queries.
Have saved a fortune, it must have paid for its self by now. :)

with a van conversion (dependent on where gas locker is) all you have to do is drill hole through floor and mount filler on bracket (that GasIt sell) on van sill with self tappers. no need to drill bodywork....

Paul and Jeannette

Free Member
Oct 10, 2011
lincoln, lincolnshire
Funster No
MH
coach
Exp
20 years on and off
anyone had safefill cylinders as there seems to be a view that you cannot always refil them as easily as you can gaslow?
Do you need to repipe to use safefill?
many thanks

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
The problem with Safefill cylinders is that they are 'stand alone' and therefore not 'plumbed in' such as Gas-it / Gaslow / Alugas ones would be where you fill from a fixed filler attached to the MH in some way. This is what some garages are not happy about as it's not obvious that the 'free' cylinder is purpose made to be refilled by the user, rather than the type that has to go back to the manufacturer/supplier to refill, such as Calor etc.

If you look at the Safefill website it gives a map showing the location of those places who will allow definitely you to refill their cylinders but there aren't a lot. The 'principle' of a lightweight cylinder which you can refill, that has the safety features required (cut off etc) and you can visibly see how much is in rather than try to use a less reliable gauge certainly has merit, but in reality finding somewhere that will allow you to fill it could be quite difficult ... if you can't you'd be stuffed!

Having seen how much they cost I'd rather go for one of the 'usual' suspects with a separate filler.

Sep 25, 2009
south yorkshire
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
since 2004. Tugger 10 years on and off
Sorry for delay in getting back to you, total cost for twin 11kg bottles including adapter was was £340. There are places selling Gas IT kits cheaper than Gas It do themselves!!! I went to one of the "other" places. - Gas It were looking for £52 extra delivery to this part of the UK. First fill was £29 - the start of the payback process.
Do you mind telling me which website you got your kit from.I am looking at same set-up.Was going to Gas it but if can get cheaper

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
google Safefill . Refillable anywhere in Europe with adaptors, visible gas levels, no installation costs.
Safe to use as the name implies. I bought 2x 10kg bottles for under £300 but you only really need one.

Apr 8, 2015
Lincoln
Funster No
MH
coachbuilt
Exp
15 years
Just read Minxy girls comment above, which from someone who uses them are not really valid. Never had a problem in Europe or the Uk in filling. just open the locker door and stick the nozzle in.
You can fit an external adapter but why bother. In the winter I bring them into the workshop and use them in my gas heater. Very cheap to run believe me.

scotjimland

LIFE MEMBER
Jul 25, 2007
Funster No
MH
A Woosh bang
I agree with @Minxy Girl ..

and by their own admission ..

Where to refill
LPG is now available on many petrol station forecourts however as the industry has had concerns about people illegally filling rented cylinders, you may be refused in many of these until the Safefill message has been completely understood, which is an ongoing process.

A 10kg Safefill bottle is £173.99

A Gasit 11kg bottle with external filling kit is £181.99 .. only £8 extra !

you can fill a Gasit bottle without hassle at any LPG station

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
Quick update on my original problem. Having been using the gas for a couple of days the gauge us now showing green. Hence I assume it was as others advised - the gauge had gone a bit beyond the green and was back round to 'empty'!
Thanks for the advice.
Bill

Minxy

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 22, 2007
E Yorks
Funster No
MH
Carthago Compactline
Exp
Just had a quick shuftie at the Gas-it site and they are now producing a 'spare wheel shaped' refillable tank!

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Sorry, can't remember from where this was purchased, but if you google/ebay it you should come up with a few options. I saved enough to purchase extra hoses needed to complete set up. Has proved to be a great saving on fill ups and also on not having to lift heavy cylinders in and out of the locker. Slightly alarmed to read on other pages that some stations are pulling the LPG pumps from their forecourts.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back