Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Since 2011 (tugger for 20 before that)
Hi all,
When we eventually collect our new MotorHome I intend to fit a refillable gas system.
Can you good people give me an idea of how much a 2 x 6 or 7 kg bottle system should cost if I fit it myself?
Would also like to know the best place to buy it as there seem to be quite a few now.
TIA
John.

Jul 12, 2013
The City of Henlow
Funster No
MH
Adria Supreme
Exp
Since 1980
If you look up Gaslow or Alugas etc on Google, everything is priced up. When we bought our present van I asked the dealer if he would fit Gaslow, which he did at no extra cost.
The most economical use of re-fillable systems could be to have the 6kg re-fillable bottle with a single exchangeable bottle as back-up, from whichever country you are spending your time in.
Alan

Subscribers  do not see these advertisements

Judge Mental

Funster
Deceased RIP
Sep 2, 2009
Sarth London
Funster No
MH
Possl 636 FR panel van
Exp
1994 and beyond...
John, not answering your actual question but ... we've had a single bottle Gaslow system for 3 years now and have never got to the point when we wished we had a 2nd bottle.

I would agree in principal Bill unless you spend a lot of time in Spain.

Eddie

edit: GasIt probably the cheapest. http://www.gasit.co.uk/

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
John, not answering your actual question but ... we've had a single bottle Gaslow system for 3 years now and have never got to the point when we wished we had a 2nd bottle.
Thanks for that Bill.
I will wait untill I actually have the van to see if I can get a 13kg bottle in there in which case I will just have the one.
As a matter of interest what size bottle is in yours?

Dec 11, 2011
Nr Hastings, East Sussex
Funster No
MH
AutoTrail Tracker RL
Exp
since 2010
@Baycott - John - mine is the 13Kg bottle and I opted for the dealer to do the installation prior to me collecting the MH as it just seemed a lower risk approach.
Note what Eddie & Alan have said though - different styles of motorhoming may need different bottle configs.

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
@Baycott - John - mine is the 13Kg bottle and I opted for the dealer to do the installation prior to me collecting the MH as it just seemed a lower risk approach.
Note what Eddie & Alan have said though - different styles of motorhoming may need different bottle configs.

I may well buy the system Bill and ask the dealer to install It FOC during the PDI. (y)

Mar 21, 2010
Funster No
We use two Gaslow bottles, which I fitted my self which were very easy to fit. Since buying ours there are alloy bottles out there and if they were around then I would have bought them, We travel around Europe and have NEVER had trouble obtaining refills. Spain in particular has loads of filling stations and there seems to be a new one each week.

colyboy

ChrisMac

Free Member
Apr 14, 2015
Funster No
MH
Elddis
Exp
I've recently fitted 2 6kg Gasit bottles with in locker fill point. Easy to install, just have to make sure everything's well tightened up. Helpful local lpg garage tightened everything that was needed. Heading to Europe for a year soon, haven't tested it fully but sitting in a cosy MH in horrendous weather in NE Scotland right now courtesy of the gas.

pilgrim55

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
I have 2 x 11kg Gaslow fitted, had it transferred from my previous Rapido, no more lugging bottles in and out, refill when it indicates it has changed bottles or if I'm going on an extended trip line to make sure they are both full. Travel to France quite a lot and never had a problem finding GPL.

Wouldn't be without it.

MattR

LIFE MEMBER
Aug 18, 2013
Beds
Funster No
MH
Panel van
Exp
Years

We finished one 6kg bottle and started a second during a two week trip to Scotland over Easter and we are frugal with heating etc. it was mainly used for cooking and the fridge. We weren't anywhere near a refilling point.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Just fitted a Gas It twin 11kg kit with exterior filler. 80% protection worked at first fill, but gauges both read empty. Bottles appear to be heavy enough to have gas in them though. There is a wee note stuck to the bottle stating that the gauge isn't accurate, and reading empty when full proves that !!!!
Have filler adapter for France when we head on Thursday . Yippppeeeee!

OP
OP
Baycott
Nov 6, 2013
East Sussex
Funster No
MH
Hymer B574DL
Exp
Just fitted a Gas It twin 11kg kit with exterior filler. 80% protection worked at first fill, but gauges both read empty. Bottles appear to be heavy enough to have gas in them though. There is a wee note stuck to the bottle stating that the gauge isn't accurate, and reading empty when full proves that !!!!
Do you mind saying what the total cost was to give me a guide?

St Piran

Free Member
May 22, 2012
North Cornwall
Funster No
MH
Swift Bolero
Exp
1 x 6kg Gasit being fitted this week with external filler point, will put a second one in when calor cyl runs out.

Nov 2, 2014
Maldon Essex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp

My bottles I fitted did the same but after a 10 mile trip both gauges work fine.
Cost of my kit from Gasit was £360 with a French adapter delivered.

glenn2926

Free Member
Sep 11, 2012
Gods country
Funster No
MH
Chausson
Exp
newbie hired 3
Hi,
I am thinking of having a refillable system fitted to my motorhome. However I am thinking of going down the under slung tank method. Not many of you seem to have done this is there a reason why not?
I would like to go this route as I would get a large outside locker freed up.
I am just interested in the pro s and cons of this so would appreciate your thoughts.
Thanks Glenn.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
5 years, feel free to ask me about the Carado!!
can you let us know how you get on with the kit thanks

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
Autogas 2000 at Thirsk fitted my refillable bottles, would recommend them to everybody, very helpful and knowledgeable, they fit underslung tanks as well.

Jul 1, 2010
SW Northumberland
Funster No
MH
Hymer B 588 DL
Exp
Since September 2010
Under slung gas tanks are expensive to purchase and fitting is a lot more involved and thereFore more costly. We researched it a few years ago before settling on a twin Alugas system. The aluminium cylinders are much lighter than the equivelant Gasit/Gaslow steel ones if payload is an issue.

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
Regarding fitting the remote inlet For the bottles does it make life that much easier???especially if you have to open the locker t0 check the guages. Also just wondering if a remote system may attract less attention than an in cabinet filling system??? Especially in Europe??

May 6, 2015
Teesside
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
since 1980
I think you may be refused filling up in certain places if the filling point is on the interior of the locker.

pilgrim55

Free Member
Feb 5, 2013
West Sussex
Funster No
MH
A Class
Exp
Since 2006
My filler point is on the outside body but I open my locker every time to ensure the bottles are turned off before filling and to turn them back on after filling. I have had no problems at filling points either in the UK or France but am not so sure that would have been the case if they had seen me trying to fill in the locker.

Oh and my Gaslow indicators didn't move when the system was first installed but after a couple of fills and some miles of bumping around they sprung into life but as I have 2 bottles I just refill when the control panel in the van tells me I'm running on reserve (2nd bottle).

Oct 5, 2012
Ayrshire
Funster No
MH
Carado T132
Exp
I think you may be refused filling up in certain places if the filling point is on the interior of the locker.
I had A feeling that might be the case even with the (legal) refillables.

weejohnw

Free Member
Aug 3, 2008
Richhill
Funster No
MH
A class
Exp
Started August 2008
Sorry for delay in getting back to you, total cost for twin 11kg bottles including adapter was was £340. There are places selling Gas IT kits cheaper than Gas It do themselves!!! I went to one of the "other" places. - Gas It were looking for £52 extra delivery to this part of the UK. First fill was £29 - the start of the payback process.

Join us or log in to post a reply.

To join in you must be a member of MotorhomeFun

Join MotorhomeFun

Join us, it quick and easy!

Already a member? Log in here.

Latest journal entries

Funsters who are viewing this thread

Back